Peter King: Teammates supporting Russ "Looks Staged"

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Under #7 of Top Ten Things I think:

I think I don’t understand two things about the Denver situation. One: The new coach will report to the owner, owner’s rep Greg Penner, not the GM. That sets up the coach going over GM George Paton’s head, whether the owner thinks it does or not. What, is the owner going to want to meet with the coach every Monday after the game? Will Paton be invited? I mean, why invite a separation like that? Two: In the past few days, several offensive players, in what appears to be an orchestrated show of support for besieged quarterback Russell Wilson, have taken to Twitter to back Wilson. Jerry Jeudy Tweeted about his “elite work ethic,” K.J. Hamler about his hard work and dedication, Garett Bolles about how he “pours his heart and soul into our TEAM.” Fine. But to do it all at one time looks staged, of course.

It's turned into quite the clown show over in Donkey land.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
Here's the thing. Even if it were staged, it doesn't mean those players don't feel that way about Russell. So what does it matter if his teammates plan a show of support for him? Is the implication that they don't mean it? Seems like a silly criticism.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Here's the thing. Even if it were staged, it doesn't mean those players don't feel that way about Russell. So what does it matter if his teammates plan a show of support for him? Is the implication that they don't mean it? Seems like a silly criticism.
When a leading criticism is that your entire persona is over produced, doubling down with a staged show of support shows a continued lake of self awareness and refusal to address the issue.

As Seahawks fans I think we can now acknowledge that the Russ brand became a detriment to the team. In Denver that’s been compounded by the lack of production.

Criticism I’ve seen form Donko fans isn’t just about the quality of play, it’s almost always wrapped into being fake. In short, they don’t like the person or what he’s delivering. Hopefully he can improve the play (next year) and rehabilitate what should be the face of the franchise.

JPatera76

Reaction score
When was Von Miller his teammate?
Never lol thats what makes it the team defending russell funnier and felt as a big old PR stunt

and the comments quoted so far revolves around in some way or form the same theme: his dedication/Work ethic, something he's always been about.
Which isn't what people outside have been questioning. People have been questioning his ability to be PART of the team. To be an equal with the other 52 players. Not an entitled player with his entourage and private office at the team facilities where players have to go through his entourage before they can get to him. Hell, even Marshawn has stated he'd love to reach out, but he has to go through Wilsons entourage. Wilson has separated himself from his teammates. While instead he should be building chemistry with them. The disconnect it so clear to everyone outside looking in but Wilsons oblivious to it.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
But a lot of players who are no longer teammates are defending him. Von Miller just defended him as one of the best teammates he’s ever had.

That's interesting. While Von Miller and RW3-and-out have both played for the Denver Broncos (one very well, the other very badly), they never played on the Denver Broncos during the same season. In 2021, Miller started the season with the Broncos, but was traded to the Rams during the season and finished the season there. In 2022, Miller has spent the entire season under contract with the Buffalo Bills.

But I'd say your assertion that Miller defended Wilson as one of the best teammates he's ever had (again, despite the two never having been teammates 😬) seems about as genuine as Wilson's actual teammates, including the ones who slammed their helmets down did open-hands "why won't you throw it to me?" gestures, and didn't help RW3-and-out up from the ground after plays, after not having done so for 16+ weeks of the season, suddenly spontaneously deciding to simultaneously support Wilson right after the head coach got fired.

It helps in these debates if you don't just make stuff up when the actual facts don't suit your narrative. Miller did say on the Pat McAfee show last week that he thinks Wilson is one of the best QBs the league has ever produced, but never said anything even resembling "one of the best teammates [Miller] ever had," probably mostly because Miller is aware the two never played together.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
That's interesting. While Von Miller and RW3-and-out have both played for the Denver Broncos (one very well, the other very badly), they never played on the Denver Broncos during the same season. In 2021, Miller started the season with the Broncos, but was traded to the Rams during the season and finished the season there. In 2022, Miller has spent the entire season under contract with the Buffalo Bills.

But I'd say your assertion that Miller defended Wilson as one of the best teammates he's ever had (again, despite the two never having been teammates 😬) seems about as genuine as Wilson's actual teammates, including the ones who slammed their helmets down did open hands "why won't you throw it to me?" gestures, and didn't help RW3-and-out up from the ground after plays, after not having done so for 16+ weeks of the season, suddenly spontaneously deciding to simultaneously support Wilson right after the head coach got fired.

It helps in these debates if you don't just make stuff up when the actual facts don't suit your narrative. Miller did say on the Pat McAfee show last week that he thinks Wilson is one of the best QBs the league has ever produced, but never said anything even resembling "one of the best teammates [Miller] ever had," probably mostly because Miller is aware the two never played together.
Nothing was made up lol I read a tweet talking about the interview that was obviously wrong. Point is Miller defended Wilson and said a lot of people are going to be surprised next year when he bounces back. I still think all of this hate towards Wilson is wild. He's hated more than Watson which is telling.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Nothing was made up lol I read a tweet talking about the interview that was obviously wrong. Point is Miller defended Wilson and said a lot of people are going to be surprised next year when he bounces back. I still think all of this hate towards Wilson is wild. He's hated more than Watson which is telling.

Hes not hated more than Watson

I’m not sure why you continue to be surprised he isn’t liked though

He took multiple shots at his teammates and the organization. Reason enough right there for Seattle guys

Denver doesn’t like him because they paid a ransom and he’s not a good QB anymore.

And humans don’t like people who are less than authentic. It rubs us the wrong way

Seems very straightforward

Ozzy

Reaction score
Hes not hated more than Watson

I’m not sure why you continue to be surprised he isn’t liked though

He took multiple shots at his teammates and the organization. Reason enough right there for Seattle guys

Denver doesn’t like him because they paid a ransom and he’s not a good QB anymore.

And humans don’t like people who are less than authentic. It rubs us the wrong way

Seems very straightforward
Agree to disagree. I see much more hate nationally for Wilson when I do Watson. And I think the idea that he isn’t liked by Seattle players as grossly overstated Doug Baldwin of all people called him a brother on the radio the other day.

BASF

Reaction score
Agree to disagree. I see much more hate nationally for Wilson when I do Watson. And I think the idea that he isn’t liked by Seattle players as grossly overstated Doug Baldwin of all people called him a brother on the radio the other day.
I think you are mistaking enjoying his failure and making fun of him as hate. Football is entertainment. Making fun of someone who has been high horsing for years and is being hoisted upon his own petard is very entertaining. I doubt you'd find many people apart from 49ers fans that actually hate Wilson.

Actual sports hate is reserved for guys like Ulf Samuelson, Matt Cooke, Bill Romanowski, Vontaze Burfict, and Bill Lambier

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think for some that's exactly what it is but for others I think its more then that. Acho just did a segment on it too and he's been super critical of Russ but he wondered if people are going way too far after some of the recent news.

I don't fault anyone for reveling in his failure or being happy for it because we benefit from it, I do.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Russ holds on to the ball too long but given how many times his o-line allows free rushers, I can see why he thinks its all on him to try to make a play.

they had to hire a second coach early on to help the first coach coach - so....this is far from all on wilson.