Peyton manning has not faced a top 5 defense all year

sturg78

Reaction score
Axx":1y4k2i51 said:
The one matchup that scares me is Welker VS Thurmond. In the preseason peyton abused thurmond in the slot.

I think it was Antoine Winfield that was getting smoked, not WTIII. I may be wrong.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Penman96":2jp0smpb said:
Tired old argument maybe - but I still think Manning's play takes a hit in the cold. We will see.

Also heard on the FOX broadcast after the Seahawks game finished that Wes Welker had made and shown a video to his team mates - that included all the tough and nasty hits the Broncos delivered this year. His reasoning for the video was to show the team what kind of football to expect from an opponent like Seattle or San Francisco.

If true - this tells us that the Broncos know this game is not just about offense vs. defense stats and / or skills. It is about the overall level of physical violence that will be involved, and the commitment to accepting and dealing out that punishment.

It is clear that the Seahawks revel in dishing out a beating on an opponent. This game with be about who is the aggressor, who is the bully. That commitment to physicality is where I think the Seahawks have the edge.

Well... if anyone knows about how hard the Hawks Defense hits, it'd be Welker...

Hancellor2BNew2BEngland2BPatrios2BPqnENohL6ixl

Look at that face. It just screams "Help me! I'm dying over here!".

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don't think you have to get to Payton as much as you just have to move him off his spot. Their oline is a strenght and he was rarely pressured by the pats.

plyka

Reaction score
youngchew":s9z80r4k said:
RolandDeschain":s9z80r4k said:
youngchew":s9z80r4k said:
Just playing devil's advocate, if you wanna play the "so and so hasn't played against a top 10 so and so".....

The Seahawks defense only faced one top 10 offense this season, the saints. and Drew Brees sucked on the road this season. In two weeks, Seattle's defense will be playing against LITERALLY the best offense in the history of the NFL. Also, no more homefield advantage for that defense. Seattle D will not have the CLink behind them.

#1 defense vs #1 offense...should be a fun game
Meh, we faced the Packers and Patriots offenses last year, and won both games. Our defense can take on anybody. The Broncos having the easiest schedule two years in a row is a point ignored by most Broncos fans I've noticed, however.

Easiest schedule two years in a row? AFC West was the best division in the NFL...3 of the 4 teams made it. They also played a 1st place schedule for winning the AFC West last year.

I agree that your defense can take on anybody.

Bottom line, Broncos score more points than any team in the league. Seahawks give up fewer points than any team in the league. As i said, should be a good game. :0190l:

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...AFC West the best division in football? Are you kidding me? The last place team in the NFC West is clearly better than 3 teams in the AFC West. We are talking about the Chargers and the Cheifs here. Just god awful teams. In fact, every team in the AFC sans Denver is just awful.

The HAwks defense played twice against Brees and the Saints. The Saints have the 2nd best offense in the league in my opinion. The Niners also faced that Saints offense, in New Orleans. The truth of the matter is that Denver and the Cheifs played the easiest schedules known to man. This is by opinion and by stats. Every site that I've found claims that these two teams had the easiest or one of the easiest schedules in the league. The Hawks had an average schedule according to these sites, but in my opinion played a tough schedule with Rams/Arizona/Niners in their division.

If you look at the 2 teams the HAwks beat in the playoffs, I would rate both of them superior to the Broncos.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2kfhyids said:
youngchew":2kfhyids said:
Just playing devil's advocate, if you wanna play the "so and so hasn't played against a top 10 so and so".....

The Seahawks defense only faced one top 10 offense this season, the saints. and Drew Brees sucked on the road this season. In two weeks, Seattle's defense will be playing against LITERALLY the best offense in the history of the NFL. Also, no more homefield advantage for that defense. Seattle D will not have the CLink behind them.

#1 defense vs #1 offense...should be a fun game
Meh, we faced the Packers and Patriots offenses last year, and won both games. Our defense can take on anybody. The Broncos having the easiest schedule two years in a row is a point ignored by most Broncos fans I've noticed, however.

The caveat here is that we won both games by the skin of our teeth, and both were in Seattle.

I have no doubt our defense can and will make plays against the Broncos, but Manning is a legend and that offense has been clicking all year long.

I think they'll sputter some against our D, but I don't think this game is going to be a cakewalk by any means.

Axx

Reaction score
Emerald12":kghg90n8 said:
Axx":kghg90n8 said:
The one matchup that scares me is Welker VS Thurmond. In the preseason peyton abused thurmond in the slot.
... and we then proceded to beat them by 30 points ;)

After payton was benched.
Manning abused both winfield and thurmond with welker

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Well, since Manning is a statue in the pocket we won't have to chase him all over the field like Kaep which will help our LB's concentrate more on their drops and the RB out of the backfield. I see the cold getting to Manning and it'll be more on the ground game of both units to produce yards.

BioDawg03

Reaction score
tdlabrie":1b1am0in said:
Absolutely correct! Despite Manning's incredible stats, this year their Total Ooffense is third behind Indy and who? Oh yeah, that team we just beat, the Whiners. And even the Pass Offense is second behind Indy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

But what really interests me is that their Defense sucks! #19 for Total Defense, #7 for Rushing Defense, and a whopping #27 for Pass Defense! WooHoo! And these guys are actually favored? :34853_doh:

You do realize that the stats you are quoting were 2013 Postseason right?

Denver was #1 in total yards 7317 (457 per game)

#1 in Points All Time at 606 (37.9 per game)

San Fran was #24 Total Offense and Indy was just above Seattle at #15.....

And Denver's D is #19 for Total Defense..... but did you notice that they are tied for 7th with Seattle vs. The Run?

Oh yeah... Seattle #17 Total Offense.... so what's the point?

This is going to be a true test of how great this Defense really is.... if they come out and shut down Denver then they will earn their place in history right next to the 2000 Baltimore Ravens and the 1985 Chicago Bears in my opinion....

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I stated it in a different spot but I'll say it again.... I think Sherman and Earl are licking their chops at the opportunity to burn Manning. The opportunity for some picks is very high. He does have an amazing o-line though, something to deal with.

Laloosh

Reaction score
CANHawk":3o99mpqb said:
Penman96":3o99mpqb said:
Tired old argument maybe - but I still think Manning's play takes a hit in the cold. We will see.

Also heard on the FOX broadcast after the Seahawks game finished that Wes Welker had made and shown a video to his team mates - that included all the tough and nasty hits the Broncos delivered this year. His reasoning for the video was to show the team what kind of football to expect from an opponent like Seattle or San Francisco.

If true - this tells us that the Broncos know this game is not just about offense vs. defense stats and / or skills. It is about the overall level of physical violence that will be involved, and the commitment to accepting and dealing out that punishment.

It is clear that the Seahawks revel in dishing out a beating on an opponent. This game with be about who is the aggressor, who is the bully. That commitment to physicality is where I think the Seahawks have the edge.

Well... if anyone knows about how hard the Hawks Defense hits, it'd be Welker...

Hancellor2BNew2BEngland2BPatrios2BPqnENohL6ixl

Look at that face. It just screams "Help me! I'm dying over here!".

OMG that picture... that hit! Miss that about BB.

Thanks for that, the face really did say it all.

[edit] oh, that's the Kam hit. BB drilled him too...

Welker hit 10 14 12

formido

Reaction score
Axx":3kkaw8pi said:
Emerald12":3kkaw8pi said:
Axx":3kkaw8pi said:

False. Manning had two aborted drives when Thurmond came in. The first was 4 plays then a fumble. The second was a 3-and-out when Thurmond knocked down the 3rd down pass.

Not only that, but Maxwell is a much better corner than BB.

formido

Reaction score
Axx":1oagynz8 said:
Emerald12":1oagynz8 said:
Axx":1oagynz8 said:

Oh, also, almost all of the margin of victory occurred in the 1st half when Peyton was playing.

Shock2k

Reaction score
amill87":3ro8sfec said:
Flip it around and our offense has faced a top 5 defense 6 times. They are 5-1 in those games.

Take it one step further and they faced 10 top 10 defenses. They are 8-2 in those games.

youngchew":3ro8sfec said:
Easiest schedule two years in a row? AFC West was the best division in the NFL...3 of the 4 teams made it. They also played a 1st place schedule for winning the AFC West last year.

Denver: 13-3
Kansas City: 11-5
San Diego: 9-7
Oakland: 4-12

Seattle: 13-3
San Francisco: 12-4
Arizona: 10-6
St. Louis: 7-9

Best division in the AFC? Absolutely but do you really think San Diego or even Kansas City makes the playoffs in the NFC?

Look, you are looking at this all wrong. 13-3 in the NFC west does not equal 13-3 in the AFC West.

From: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings
Team RankOverall (Wei)Offensive RankDefensive Rank
Seattle181
Denver4114
SF61010
AZ7202
KC9159
STL102312
SD12332
OAK312824

tdlabrie

Reaction score
BioDawg03":yw2h9s4m said:
tdlabrie":yw2h9s4m said:
Absolutely correct! Despite Manning's incredible stats, this year their Total Ooffense is third behind Indy and who? Oh yeah, that team we just beat, the Whiners. And even the Pass Offense is second behind Indy.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

But what really interests me is that their Defense sucks! #19 for Total Defense, #7 for Rushing Defense, and a whopping #27 for Pass Defense! WooHoo! And these guys are actually favored? :34853_doh:

You do realize that the stats you are quoting were 2013 Postseason right?

Denver was #1 in total yards 7317 (457 per game)

#1 in Points All Time at 606 (37.9 per game)

San Fran was #24 Total Offense and Indy was just above Seattle at #15.....

And Denver's D is #19 for Total Defense..... but did you notice that they are tied for 7th with Seattle vs. The Run?

Oh yeah... Seattle #17 Total Offense.... so what's the point?

This is going to be a true test of how great this Defense really is.... if they come out and shut down Denver then they will earn their place in history right next to the 2000 Baltimore Ravens and the 1985 Chicago Bears in my opinion....
Actually, I did not know. What was I thinking? :34853_doh: Of course they lead in Pass Offense by a buttload, and this gives them a #1 in Total Offense. But their Run Offense is #15, not very good. And the numbers I quoted earlier for Defense are correct, including #27 for Pass Defense.

So I guess what I'm saying is I think Denver is one-dimensional, I think our defense can cut them down quite a bit, and, since obviously they're going to score some, I think our Pass and Run can keep up. Or maybe I'm just a Homer, but I feel a lot better about this game than the Whiners.

(Thanks for pointing out my mistake.)

WarHawks

Reaction score
Most of the pro Denver comments I've been reading concern their passing game, and if that is what they are going to rely on, it plays right into the Hawks' hands. If Denver can't run the ball effectively, they will be toast when their D line gets tired late in the game and beast mode takes over and our secondary gets a couple picks. They'll have a decent first half, but the Hawks will own the second half imo. :snack:

Latest posts