Pick #16 - DT Byron Murphy

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m way past beyond tired of Seattle believing more picks is better than having quality picks….grab the guy when he’s available and don’t get cute and try to “outsmart” other organizations!
Depends on how your team is stacked, initially we had to fill a whole roster and needed numbers and took risks to be competitive. Set a standard that way with what was built, but relying on it year in and year out, that can be counter productive when you have less holes and pass on talent for hopes of hitting something nobody else see's.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I've quickly looked at a bunch of scouting reports since the pick and not one makes any reference to a

Kiper? You mean the guy who gave the Hawks an F in 2012? It wasn't you who questioned his work ethic but someone did. And I quickly looked at multiple scouting reports with pros and cons, and no-one mentioned work ethic as a weakness.
Is it possible Jer confused Murphy with Sweat regarding the work ethic comment?

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
The one guy worth sticking and picking for. Tremendous job, Mike and John.
I'd say that about Verse and Fautanu as well. But it's pretty clear the knee issue dropped Fautanu. I hate that the Rams got Verse.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I like that this seems to signal an intent to run four-man fronts. Murphy probably isn't long enough to play at the 5-tech.

James in PA

Reaction score
Dan Viens made a good point: It was smart to take Murphy over Fautanu. There will still be a lot of great guards for us is in rounds 3 and 4. This is a very deep draft in that position. D-line, on the other hand, falls off a cliff. John and MM crushed it.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Is it possible Jer confused Murphy with Sweat regarding the work ethic comment?
I never made a comment about Murphy's work ethic. I was simply listening to Kiper talk about Murphy's lack of production in terms of sacks which was concerning to him.

Rat

Reaction score
Anyone remember the last Texas DT we used a first round pick on? Marcus Tubbs was on the brink of stardom when injuries truncated his career. I've always considered him one of the biggest "what if's" in franchise history. Fortunately, sports medicine has come a long ways since even Tubbs' day.

BigMeach

Reaction score
There was a huge cliff at a lot of positions after about #20. John would have been trading down into a desert. And there's no way Murphy would have lasted past #19.
I completely agree. We were able to pull off both best player available AND position of need. The fact we could do that with our first round pick and we were picking at #16 is quite incredible. I do not understand those who are upset at this.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Troy Fautanu or Dallas Turner. Much much better prospects.

They could've gotten Murphy after 20. Complete waste. Disappointing.

Rooting for him, but this is yet another concerning pick by Schneider
Can't see him staying that long on the board. The consensus mock draft had Murphey at 9 the second Denfense off the board after Dallas Turner (With Fautanu going to us at 16). If we had traded down to the Vikings so they could take Turner I expect Murphey would go 18 or 19.

Certainly not a reach best two players on the board were Turner and Murphy and I believe Murphy was the better fit.

Jac

Reaction score
This really was a best case scenario and the approach I was desperately hoping for. Take a chance to acquire a special player at #16 (particularly on the lines) instead of the "basket of players" approach.

Hotchy

Reaction score
Troy Fautanu or Dallas Turner. Much much better prospects.

They could've gotten Murphy after 20. Complete waste. Disappointing.

Rooting for him, but this is yet another concerning pick by Schneider
Lol, Troy also has short arms. That's why he's getting pushed to guard. If you actually watched our games last year, DT was the most important upgrade. If you cant stop the run, season is over.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Love the pick..
I was watching with my buddy(Big Colts fan) we were both amped about
getting great D picks coming up after the 14 Off picks.
They picked Latu and when the talk on tv went to the "Neck Fused" we both
went real quiet (We all remember Peyton Manning).
I'm so happy they didn't take our guy and I don't know what the Colts were
thinking but good luck with that.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I judge based on position, player and value.

Did we need a DT? Desperately
Did we get a good player? Yes
Did we get him at an appropriate draft position? Yes

we can disagree about whether he’d be there 3-4 spots down or that we’d rather have another position but good pick to me.

caveat: If Penix was still on the board I would still think it was a solid pick but not the best one but didn’t want to trade up nor did I think they’d need to. Oh well.

Jac

Reaction score
John Randle

I have not seen Murphy compared to him yet, but I think he can be a similar type of player.
I saw one review posted on YouTube (by a former player I believe) that said some of the most disruptive DTs were his height, including John Randle, Warren Sapp, and Aaron Donald.