Pick #16 - DT Byron Murphy

warden

Reaction score
Anyone remember the last Texas DT we used a first round pick on? Marcus Tubbs was on the brink of stardom when injuries truncated his career. I've always considered him one of the biggest "what if's" in franchise history. Fortunately, sports medicine has come a long ways since even Tubbs' day.
Tubs sure could collapse the pocket

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Speaking of Texas DTs: how cool would it be if the team could also draft Murphy's Texas line mate T'Vondre Sweat? His stock has fallen with his latest drunk driving exploit. However, he is a big bad mofo NT.

Combined with Williams and Murphy the team would have a completely terrifying Defensive front. Perhaps this is just a pipe dream.

GemCity

Reaction score
Speaking of Texas DTs: how cool would it be if the team could also draft Murphy's Texas line mate T'Vondre Sweat? His stock has fallen with his latest drunk driving exploit. However, he is a big bad mofo NT.

Combined with Williams and Murphy the team would have a completely terrifying Defensive front. Perhaps this is just a pipe dream.
I’d soil my pantaloons.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I like the pick. Not gonna excited until I see him play, but I like the strategy of capitalizing on defensive players since so many offensive players went in the first round.

King Dog

Reaction score

Didn't fall very far if any unfortunately

ivotuk

Reaction score
I read that Byron got his degree from UT in 3 years. He only started on the DLine for One Year! He is now 21 Years Old!

From Dane Bruglers THE BEAST:

From his new position as a (High School) junior, Murphy posted 98 tackles, 12.0 tackles for loss, 8.0 sacks and four forced fumbles (one returned for a touchdown),
earning All-District honors.

He led DeSoto to a 10-2 finish as a senior and notched 14.0 sacks in 2020, which broke Von Miller’s single-season school record.

Murphy also had 79 tackles, 22.0 tackles for loss and one forced fumble, which earned him first team All-State and All-District.

Before enrolling at Texas, he also earned his associate degree from Dallas College (May 2021).
Byron finished 2023 with a team-best 45 pressures and ranked No. 1 among all FBS interior defensive linemen in
pass rush win percentage (19.6 percent)

12forlife

Reaction score
Troy Fautanu or Dallas Turner. Much much better prospects.

They could've gotten Murphy after 20. Complete waste. Disappointing.

Rooting for him, but this is yet another concerning pick by Schneider
I think you need to take a step back, and look at this way. John & MM are building this team the right way, which is inside out. I can see your point with Turner, I would have called it a coin flip between Turner & Murphy. I think Fautanu went down on boards due to the late info on his knees. Murphy is just 1 young key piece to our Dline. If MM can get Jones to improve, and Williams plays any better, our Dline now becomes one of our strengths.