Pick 198: Jerrick Reed Safety New Mexico

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think best case scenario is you hit the jackpot on Reed, are able to develop him as future starter in 2-3 years in the very least have him be a capable backup/ top notch STer, ditch Adams and Diggs after this season, and then sign Neal back next off-season to pair with Love.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This was probably the only questionable pick of the Seahawk draft in my opinion....how many safeties does a team need? It's more about the position quantity rather than the player. The player seems to be solid.

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
About 5’10 and 200? With that 4.4, this dude can be a wrecking ball.

I do hope we have a diamond in the rough in this draft.

He sounds like a fit for what Coach Karl Scott wants to do with the Seahawks defensive backfield. I like his back ground of playing on every special-teams unit.

"He said he played on every special-teams unit at New Mexico “from day one” getting there as a freshman, through his senior year last season. “Wherever they put me at, I played every position at college football.” New Mexico’s defense with Reed in it played five defensive backs as its base set, three safeties with two cornerbacks “at all times,” Reed said. Reed got to play slot nickel back, down near the line of scrimmage like a strong safety, and deep in the field’s center as a free safety."

Read more at: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article274878656.html#storylink=cpy

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ABC completely ignored the Jerrick Reed selection. No highlights. No analysis from Mel or Todd. Didn't even mention him by name. They managed to do it though for the picks just before and just after him. SMH.
I saw that sh*t too, hell, my Wife even said that it was a blatant slight on the pick.

morgulon1

Reaction score
This was probably the only questionable pick of the Seahawk draft in my opinion....how many safeties does a team need? It's more about the position quantity rather than the player. The player seems to be solid.
I had the same thought initially, but look at Diggs and Adams. Both guys making a ton of money and Adams has been on IR the last 2 years and Diggs is no stranger to injury himself. Not cutting these guys down , yet IMHO I don't see both of these guys back after this season.
This pick will be a great addition for special teams at the least and possibly more .

morgulon1

Reaction score
He sounds like a fit for what Coach Karl Scott wants to do with the Seahawks defensive backfield. I like his back ground of playing on every special-teams unit.

"He said he played on every special-teams unit at New Mexico “from day one” getting there as a freshman, through his senior year last season. “Wherever they put me at, I played every position at college football.” New Mexico’s defense with Reed in it played five defensive backs as its base set, three safeties with two cornerbacks “at all times,” Reed said. Reed got to play slot nickel back, down near the line of scrimmage like a strong safety, and deep in the field’s center as a free safety."

Read more at: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article274878656.html#storylink=cpy
Honest question:

Do you think Seattle maybe thinking of a hybrid style defense with 3 safeties 2 LB? Seems kind of like what they wanted Jamal Adams for.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Agree on questioning the pick but interested to see how Pete plans to use him. Dude has intelligence & leadership, clearly a common trait with most of the picks today. Could be a nice contributor on ST.

Jville

Reaction score
Honest question:

Do you think Seattle maybe thinking of a hybrid style defense with 3 safeties 2 LB? Seems kind of like what they wanted Jamal Adams for.
I know they have wanted to include a big nickle package for some time. Uncertainty is what they want to instill in the mind and reads of opposing quarterbacks. That's why they hired Karl Scott ... to install looks that create uncertainty for opposing offenses. Success at doing that will also create a lot of uncertainty and confusion in the minds of us fans as well. Should prove to be highly engaging.

I've posted the following before. But this may be even more useful and timely to review the video again given all the talent they have brought in for Karl Scott to work with and sort thru.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I know they have wanted to include a big nickle package for some time. Uncertainty is what they want to instill in the mind and reads of opposing quarterbacks. That's why they hired Karl Scott ... to install looks that create uncertainty for opposing offenses. Success at doing that will also create a lot of uncertainty and confusion in the minds of us fans as well. Should prove to be highly engaging.

I've posted the following before. But this may be even more useful and timely to review the video again given all the talent they have brought in for Karl Scott to work with and sort thru.

Thank you brother..

LeveeBreak

Reaction score

Great post!

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
Reed isn't even listed in the top 63 Safeties, on the NFLDRAFTBUZZ site where JL Skinner is #8. To move up in 6th 15 spots , to grab Skinner trade value is, 6pts ,
183 = 16 , 198 = 10.....next yrs 6th and could have had a 6'3" / 209lb safety that was a 10th of a sec lower in the 40....I'd been ok with Kendrick Duncan ,29th top safety ( Louisville ) at 198 . JS/PC see ONE spot, that he'll contribute I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
I don’t think they drafted this kid expecting to keep all of them.

We have a couple that are pretty expensive for the output they’ve provided. It’s possible that this kid fills a spot vacated by an older and more expensive player.

I’m guessing it will depend on what they see from him in OTAs, camp, and preseason.

Jville

Reaction score

Seahawks currently have only 4 safeties under contract. One, of which is working his way back from injury. Last year they had to sign an in season free agent to get thru the year. Seahawks will carry a minimum of 5 safeties into the season. All thing considered, probably 11 defensive backs on the regular roster plus a couple more DBs for the practice squad.

Nickle defenses will be the most common. But I expect to see a lot of dime defense from Karl Scott. So the Jerrick Reed pick does address a real need.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Reed isn't even listed in the top 63 Safeties, on the NFLDRAFTBUZZ site where JL Skinner is #8. To move up in 6th 15 spots , to grab Skinner trade value is, 6pts ,
183 = 16 , 198 = 10.....next yrs 6th and could have had a 6'3" / 209lb safety that was a 10th of a sec lower in the 40....I'd been ok with Kendrick Duncan ,29th top safety ( Louisville ) at 198 . JS/PC see ONE spot, that he'll contribute I guess.
How many of us heard of Woolen before last year?

Latest posts