Playoff Question

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that if we win this Sunday and either the Lions or Bears lose we are automatically in the playoffs. Is that true?

Reaction score
Not sure if its true but it seems right.

I know that if we lose, it'll probably be the most embarrassing loss in team history. This place will implode! haha

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I was looking into this for the Rams so thought I would answer:

No.

Teams that *could* still make the playoffs if Seattle lost out after this week:

Saints
Packers
Rams
Bucs

Vikings - if they beat the Bucs, otherwise the max wins they could get would be 9 and Seattle beat them head to head

Giants - win out and Seattle lose out, also requires Washington to win out for one to get wildcard over Seattle

Cardinals - if they lose Sunday but won out and Seattle lost out AZ would be in bc of division record

Washington - NFCE is quietly trying to get two teams in, but a loss this week removes them from Seattle's playoff spot

Niners - Seattle losing out and them winning out, they'd be in over Seattle

Lions and Bears - winning out with Seattle losing out would have all at 9-7 with same conference record

So putting it all together, here is what Seattle would need to clinch a playoff spot after beating the Jets:

SF/WAS - tie

Giants/Cards - Cards win

Lions and Bears - lose

Bucs/Vikings - Bucs win

If all this occurred, the standings would look like this:

Saints - 11-2
Packers - 10-3
Rams - 9-4
Washington - 5-7-1 (can't get to 9 wins)
Seahawks - 9-4
Bucs - 8-5
Cardinals - 7-6

Vikings - 6-7 - head to head tiebreaker
Niners - 5-7-1 (can't get to 9 wins)

As far as what's likely to happen, bc neither game will end in a tie (most likely), and technically the winner could win out and if Seattle lose its last three, whatever team won and won out would get in over Seattle.

The Rams are a little easier to predict because we have the Jets NEXT week, so 10 wins and likely clinch a spot next week.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, great breakdown, appreciate it!

nutluck

Reaction score
Both the Rams and Hawks can lock up a playoff spot with a win next week. Since one will win division, that leaves the other with the cards and bucs as the 3 possible wild cards. Ever other team has more than 6 loses, which means a lock on a wildcard slot.

Unless I am just crazy and completely missed something, which is always possible.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2y8q2qw0 said:

No.

Saints
Packers
Rams
Bucs

Vikings - if they beat the Bucs, otherwise the max wins they could get would be 9 and Seattle beat them head to head

Giants - win out and Seattle lose out, also requires Washington to win out for one to get wildcard over Seattle

Cardinals - if they lose Sunday but won out and Seattle lost out AZ would be in bc of division record

Washington - NFCE is quietly trying to get two teams in, but a loss this week removes them from Seattle's playoff spot

Lions and Bears - winning out with Seattle losing out would have all at 9-7 with same conference record

So putting it all together, here is what Seattle would need to clinch a playoff spot after beating the Jets:

SF/WAS - tie

Giants/Cards - Cards win

Lions and Bears - lose

Bucs/Vikings - Bucs win

Saints - 11-2
Packers - 10-3
Rams - 9-4
Seahawks - 9-4
Bucs - 8-5
Cardinals - 7-6

As far as what's likely to happen, bc neither game will end in a tie (most likely), and technically the winner could win out and if Seattle lose its last three, whatever team won and won out would get in over Seattle.

The Rams are a little easier to predict because we have the Jets NEXT week, so 10 wins and likely clinch a spot next week.

Based on the results on Sunday, wouldn't that basically put Seattle in? The only team that can catch them on record now is the bears, both going 9-7.

4 division winners (Saints, Packers, Rams, Washington)
3 wildcards: Seahawks, Bucs, Cardinals.
Vikings can only tie the Seahawks but lose the tie breaker
9ers can't get to 9 wins

So, assuming only the Bears can catch the Seahawks at this point. Just looked... it is only the Bears. They need to win out and have Seattle lose out. The Seahawks have a 90% chance of making the playoffs even if they lose the next 3

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qwv57ut said:
Ramfan128":3qwv57ut said:

No.

Saints
Packers
Rams
Bucs

SF/WAS - tie

Giants/Cards - Cards win

Lions and Bears - lose

Bucs/Vikings - Bucs win

Saints - 11-2
Packers - 10-3
Rams - 9-4
Seahawks - 9-4
Bucs - 8-5
Cardinals - 7-6

Based on the results on Sunday, wouldn't that basically put Seattle in? The only team that can catch them on record now is the bears, both going 9-7.

4 division winners (Saints, Packers, Rams, Washington)
3 wildcards: Seahawks, Bucs, Cardinals.
Vikings can only tie the Seahawks but lose the tie breaker
9ers can't get to 9 wins

So, assuming only the Bears can catch the Seahawks at this point. Just looked... it is only the Bears. They need to win out and have Seattle lose out. The Seahawks have a 90% chance of making the playoffs even if they lose the next 3

I thought this too when I looked again but I guess the key is the Cardinals.

If Seattle or LA, Arizona and Minnesota all finished 9-7:

Rams or Seahawks would be 2-4 against the division while Cards would be 3-3. Vikings would hold a tiebreaker over Cards for common opponents.

So first they use division tie breakers to put AZ in over Seattle, then Minnesota beats out the Cards.

This is what I was told at least - I think it makes sense. Back in 2004 the Rams got in over the Saints even though they beat us head to head - wasn't sure how that happened but I believe that's how Minnesota would get in over Seattle in this scenario even though Seattle beat them.

diver110

Reaction score
To me the bigger issue is how well we will do in the playoffs. Got my doubts. Too many blown opportunities. Hope I am wrong.

SEAHAWKSTER

Reaction score
Well after our win over the jets they had us at 99% of making the playoffs now I know that isn’t 100% but unless the world turns upside down and every team gets all the wins they need and we lose every game and not one of those other teams lose a single game ... we are getting in ... where we gonna end up is at 0% right now but we are getting in the playoffs :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It was 98% before the Jets game I think, and it's still 98% after.

Yeah, we're going to the playoffs.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thanks ramfan.. that makes sense, as convoluted as the scenario is.