Poll: Can Geno Take Us All The Way

Do you believe Geno Smith can take the Seahawks to the Super Bowl and win?

• Yes

Votes: 65 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 41.6%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 22 14.8%

• Total voters

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Nobody "Loving on Geno", just not SH^TTING on him like y'all are doing either.
OH AND IF they "Massively Overpay" for the guy, I will be just as p^ssed as you and Soulfish...By the way, the river in Egypt is called 'THE Nile'.

Nobody is crapping on him its just that some of us know what he truly is. He had a great season but the warts are still there.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Nobody is crapping on him its just that some of us know what he truly is. He had a great season but the warts are still there.
You ''Jest" of course, you do NOT "KNOW" jack squat,,,,He got this Stuttering Rag-Tag Seahawks, with a SUCK A$$ Defense (who were suppose to BARELY win 5 games last year >> TO THE PLAYOFFS<<
AND with all his "Warts" as you put it, had one of the highest completion percentages in the league, BROKE WILSONS' record for the MOST YARDS BY A Seahawks QUARTERBACK, A-N-D is IN the Pro-Bowl.
LOLOL You really need to quit huffing glue.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You ''Jest" of course, you do NOT "KNOW" jack squat,,,,He got this Stuttering Rag-Tag Seahawks, with a SUCK A$$ Defense (who were suppose to BARELY win 5 games last year >> TO THE PLAYOFFS<<
AND with all his "Warts" as you put it, had one of the highest completion percentages in the league, BROKE WILSONS' record for the MOST YARDS BY A Seahawks QUARTERBACK, A-N-D is IN the Pro-Bowl.
LOLOL You really need to quit huffing glue.

Wilson played on a bunch of Rag-Tag Seahawk teams. Who cares. God bless Geno for having a high completion percentage and having an extra game to beat Wilsons yardage record. With stats like that you would think the team would have done better. The only ones huffing glue are the ones that think Smith is anything more than an average QB and is capable of taking the team to the next level.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Geno Smith is an above average QB, lets get that out of the way right now. The question is he the type of guy that you want to hedge your future on? I look at him as the same sort of character as Kirk Cousins. A QB that keeps you in contention for wildcard spots, but has a limited upside in big games.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Geno Smith is an above average QB, lets get that out of the way right now. The question is he the type of guy that you want to hedge your future on? I look at him as the same sort of character as Kirk Cousins. A QB that keeps you in contention for wildcard spots, but has a limited upside in big games.

A QB that can keep you in games but not win them for you is an average QB in my book.

NampaHawk

Reaction score
A QB that can keep you in games but not win them for you is an average QB in my book.
I voted No, but it isn't strictly because of Geno but because of the team. And the comments by a lot of the Wilson apologists is what drives me nuts, the statement above means Wilson is average (he actually used to be above, but nowhere near elite which would be the top 1 or 2 QB's in the league by an elite definition)....even WILSON couldn't take this team to the Superbowl when he was in his prime....yet we keep using this as a comparison between Geno and Wilson. There's no way to ever know, but the question is could Geno have won the Superbowl with Marshawn and the LOB? I went back and watched the SB a month or so back - and it was glaringly obvious that the defense was the reason for that victory, not Wilson, not Marshawn, it was the defense. Percy running it back stuck the nail in the coffin, but if it wasn't for the defense, no SB victory. No matter how many people say Wilson WON us the superbowl - it's just an artifact of how much the QB position is over rated.

Purdy is not WINNING San Francisco anything....what he's doing is playing such that he doesn't LOSE them anything, they win the Superbowl, it isn't because Purdy won it for them, it's because their freaking TEAM is loaded, and Purdy played his role - seriously who on that team is Purdy elevating the play of?

Now take the above paragraph and substitute Purdy with Wilson in reference to our SB year....it really is no different....our team was loaded. Wilson walked into a loaded team and benefited not the other way around, Wilson did not elevate the play of Earl, Kam, Sherm, Wagz, Bennet, Baldwin, Marshawn, etc....if Geno could walk into that same situation? I'd change my vote to Yes.

OK, I'll go back to my lurking for another 3 months

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wilson played on a bunch of Rag-Tag Seahawk teams. Who cares. God bless Geno for having a high completion percentage and having an extra game to beat Wilsons yardage record. With stats like that you would think the team would have done better. The only ones huffing glue are the ones that think Smith is anything more than an average QB and is capable of taking the team to the next level.
Geno had above average stats this season. He played well. Yet he couldn't will the team to win against the Panthers, Falcons, Raiders, and Saints. These were all non-playoff teams. I'm pretty sure there are handful of QBs that could beat those teams even with a bad defense. Heck Kirk Cousins took his team to 13 win season with a 31st ranked defense. A defense worse than the Seahawks. Just saying.

Credit to Geno for having the best season in his career thus far and for the wins. However, he also played a role in why the team had 9 losses. It's not like he was throwing for 300+ yards and 4 TDs and they lost those games. His numbers were pretty average or below average in the losses. I would go as far to say he and the team were below average with their redzone efficiency.

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
Geno definitely not the guy to dig Seahawks out of a 10-14 pt deficit when they need it.
You mean he hasn't done it yet, in his one season. He could just as likely do it several times next year, he is improving ever minute of every day.. Do you have proof otherwise? Perhaps more speculation but no proof. Just as you have no proof the top three QB's in the draft this year won't be a bust.. Life's a gamble, don't be so sure on the unknown..

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Let's put it this way. If Geno was the QB the year we won the super bowl I don't think he would have done very well because our offensive line sucked ass. We may have still won the super bowl. Russ was the perfect fit because he was so good at evading and throwing on the run. So, yes, Geno could be a part of a team that wins a super bowl but it would have to be a team with the equivalent of Lynch and LOB.

Geno benefited greatly this year from Cross and Lucas.

If JS/PC do well in the draft, it is possible the we will have another super bowl caliber team. I think most of us want to believe they can but I have my doubts because PC had insider knowledge of college players back then that he doesn't have now.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think Geno’s ceiling isn’t too much higher than how he has performed this season.

I don’t think Geno can carry an offense to be top 5 in offense, elite.

Respectable offense. Top 12, maybe even top 10.

Geno is better than Kirk Cousins though.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I think Geno could win a Super Bowl with this 49ers team. The question is, “Can the Seahawks build that level team over the next couple years?” I say, “Why not?”

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I expect Geno will be with another team next year. QB's are a high commodity and similar to Russ, Geno has made a name for himself.

JS has set his limit.

The Donks Russ debacle might make some teams hesitate paying an ex Seahawks QB. :sneaky:

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
I think Geno could win a Super Bowl with this 49ers team. The question is, “Can the Seahawks build that level team over the next couple years?” I say, “Why not?”
Hard to do if they re-sign Geno to a big contract.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Hard to do if they re-sign Geno to a big contract.
That wasn’t the question. And that is also true for other teams. If you let the QB break the bank, it’s hard to manage the salary cap. My point is that, if you build a strong team around him, even a rookie 7th round pick can be very productive.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
We saw two sides of Geno this season - the Geno in the first 9 games who took care of the ball and was the QB who led his team to a 6-3 record plus 1st place in the division at that juncture. That guy absolutely can.

Then the Geno in the last 9 games (including the wildcard game) who got careless with turnovers (Int and fumbles), holding the ball long(taking sacks at inopportune times) and regressing. His team was 3-6. That's the guy I'm not so sure about.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I voted No, but it isn't strictly because of Geno but because of the team. And the comments by a lot of the Wilson apologists is what drives me nuts, the statement above means Wilson is average (he actually used to be above, but nowhere near elite which would be the top 1 or 2 QB's in the league by an elite definition)....even WILSON couldn't take this team to the Superbowl when he was in his prime....yet we keep using this as a comparison between Geno and Wilson. There's no way to ever know, but the question is could Geno have won the Superbowl with Marshawn and the LOB? I went back and watched the SB a month or so back - and it was glaringly obvious that the defense was the reason for that victory, not Wilson, not Marshawn, it was the defense. Percy running it back stuck the nail in the coffin, but if it wasn't for the defense, no SB victory. No matter how many people say Wilson WON us the superbowl - it's just an artifact of how much the QB position is over rated.

Purdy is not WINNING San Francisco anything....what he's doing is playing such that he doesn't LOSE them anything, they win the Superbowl, it isn't because Purdy won it for them, it's because their freaking TEAM is loaded, and Purdy played his role - seriously who on that team is Purdy elevating the play of?

Now take the above paragraph and substitute Purdy with Wilson in reference to our SB year....it really is no different....our team was loaded. Wilson walked into a loaded team and benefited not the other way around, Wilson did not elevate the play of Earl, Kam, Sherm, Wagz, Bennet, Baldwin, Marshawn, etc....if Geno could walk into that same situation? I'd change my vote to Yes.

OK, I'll go back to my lurking for another 3 months

Wilson did elevate Lynch and the offense though because he was a threat to run at any time. They ran the zone read option constantly.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Wilson did elevate Lynch and the offense though because he was a threat to run at any time. They ran the zone read option constantly.
BECAUSE LYNCHS' BRUTALITY RUNS KEPT DEFENSES AT BAY, AND HONEST, THOSE ARE JUST THE FACTS!
Think not??? think about how the Seahawks beat the Saints the year BEFORE Wilson even entered the League.
ALSO, if Trent Dilfer could take a team to a Super Bowl AND WIN IT (because their Run Game & Defense were top shelf) there's no reason to DOUBT that if given the right Supporting Cast AROUND him, that Geno couldn't do the same, and ANYONE who argues that it isn't POSSIBLE is lying to themselves for arguments sake.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Put the tube down and back away.