POLL: What If Byron Was Our Only Pick?

With just the addition of Byron...

• The DL will be a BOSS and the secondary can EAT baby!

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • It will help with depth for sure and possibly make the D a few spots higher in the ranks

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Not sure one good player will be enough to move the needle too much

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (read my comments)

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just for down-time shiz and giggles...

What if the Seahawks' only pick was Byron? Would you feel that the entire DL is solidified enough to make a discernable difference to get us past the first round of the playoffs?

Aircrew

Reaction score
Other. I'm really optimistic he'll be a pillar on our line for years to come, but we still need to see how quickly he gets up to speed, whether he can stay injury free and what kind of teammate he'll be. But, I'm really liking this pick, a foundational piece we've been sorely lacking for a decade.

Scout

Reaction score
I do not think a single player is enough to turn around the defense. You need ILBs long term that can play in this scheme as well as adding more DBs that can tackle and understand their assignments.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not sure I read you correctly. If he was the only player in the entire draft, that would suck donkey dicks.

If he's the only DL pick, I think he's a great addition and our overall DL should be bad ass - assuming health and all that, of course. Losing Chenna last year really screwed us.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I voted the third option.

Murphy is a great addition. But it's really a matter of getting Nwosu, Mafe and the young guys healthy and strong on the edge, while bolstering the interior DL. We need speed and strength at the LBer position, too.

We're not done adding important pieces, I hope!

knownone

Reaction score
This is the most depth and talent they've had on the D-Line in years, so expectations should be pretty high for the unit. Will Murphy put them over the top next season? Eh, I wouldn't place too many marbles on a rookie deciding the season. I just hope he's not LJ Collier.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Let's not forget, we are also switching to what PC called a "sophisticated defense scheme" which he didn't have any answers for when we played the Ravens last year. So we should already be miles ahead of last year, even though we probably won't be running the entire new defensive scheme to perfection in Year One. Adding the best interior DL-man in the draft (per most of what I've read) can only help.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Would you feel that the entire DL is solidified enough to make a discernable difference to get us past the first round of the playoffs?

Good lord no. There's still way to many holes on the edge and the LB corp. It's going to take a couple years and more players.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tez was able to tilt the field, Donald could tilt the field, Sap could do that as well as Reggie White, may not fix everything but he or players like him have to be accounted for and teams change their game plans for players like that. Bosa could be another addition as well, you may not win single extra game, but you put a attitude and foundation to build on.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
Just for down-time shiz and giggles...

What if the Seahawks' only pick was Byron? Would you feel that the entire DL is solidified enough to make a discernable difference to get us past the first round of the playoffs?
I think coaching alone could get us past the first round of playoffs... So, a discernable difference should be expected with the coaching staff we have. I think Byron could be used in a variety of different ways at the LOS, along with our other lineman, move guys around with different looks depending on who we play.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Tez was able to tilt the field, Donald could tilt the field, Sap could do that as well as Reggie White, may not fix everything but he or players like him have to be accounted for and teams change their game plans for players like that. Bosa could be another addition as well, you may not win single extra game, but you put a attitude and foundation to build on.

Yep. Totally agree.

Opens up everything around him. Guys like Rufus Porter (UDFA), Michael Sinclair (6th round), Michael McCrary (7th round) could have double digit sack seasons when we had Tez.

chrispy

Reaction score
1 player can't be everywhere and do everything. Any improvement won't be solely attributable to BMurphy nor any failure.

However, he's potentially an upgrade at multiple DL positions. He should allow LWilliams to get more 1on1s. He should improve LB tackling and overall results if he's just average at run stopping. Any QB pressure or double teams that result in Edge pressure will help the backfield. Even though he's not a miracle worker, there is a lot of potential that MM will re-tool the D and the DLine become an advantage as opposed to an embarrassment. ...and BMurphy looks to be a guy that can tip that see-saw to a Seahawks advantage (with the other pieces in place too). I'm hopeful but not placing bets yet.