Positive takeaways from this game

renofox

Reaction score
Help me out here! I know we can find some silver linings! I'll start:

1) The Defense was very good against the run on 1st and 2nd down between the 20s! True they really sucked on 3rd downs and in the red zone but at least they didn't completely suck!

2) It looks like we'll save some cap next year not having to pay Geno's escalators/incentives! We were all worried that we may see 2nd-half-of-the-season Geno this year. He decided to not wait til the 2nd half of the season, but graced us with his presence in the 2nd half of the first game! It looks like we'll be able to keep him for next season at a lower price, assuming he continues subpar play!

3) Wagner didn't forget how to tackle! He may be slower and can't chase down QBs, but he can still tackle players he can catch! Having at least 1 player on defense who can tackle is a good thing.

4) PC now has perfect film showing exactly how bad his schemes suck, and why they are so horrendous. Even though it's been like this for 6 years, I'm confident that NOW he will actually get creative and aggressive and the new schemes will be effective. A top-25 defense is just around the corner!

That's all I can think of. Help me out here.

JPatera76

Reaction score
JSN is smooth, and Bobo can get open. Umm... I was happy to see Bobby back. He may have looked slow on running down stafford but he did catch up to him and stop him, So i think it was more him having to adjust to run after stafford and disengage who was going against.

Julian Love is an upgrade over Adams, And Chenna almost had a sack with his helmet sideways. Overall happy with chenna

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This might have been one of the worst games ever played by any Seahawk team in any era against any opponent. It probably will never be that bad again.

We won't be as bad as we looked today. Just nowhere near as good as most hoped.

mistaowen

Reaction score
JSN looks like a really smooth route runner that should only get better with more experience. I think he will become an excellent player, assuming the offense can learn how to ensure their best players get 10 touches a game.

Walker averaged 5.5ish yards, don't know why we went away from him.

Brooks looked overall pretty solid, considering the knee damage he just dealt with and speedy recovery, I thought he greatly exceeded expectations for his return

With the starting OT's I thought the line looked formidable for 1-2 quarters

Julian Love had the only PBU and flashed occasionally, when Adams comes back I hope he takes on the nickel/safety hybrid type role and plants Coby Bryant on the bench

Witherspoon should be a massive upgrade at the CB position and the less we are forced to watch Tre Brown and Coby Bryant get cooked this year, the better. This defense has absolutely zero fire or heart and he has it in spades. Some intensity will be nice.

Crowd did their best watching a defense consistently be unable to get off the field

rjdriver

Reaction score
This might have been one of the worst games ever played by any Seahawk team in any era against any opponent. It probably will never be that bad again.

We won't be as bad as we looked today. Just nowhere near as good as most hoped.
Charlie Whitehurst and the Cleveland Browns say hello.

hawks85

Reaction score
JSN looks like a really smooth route runner that should only get better with more experience. I think he will become an excellent player, assuming the offense can learn how to ensure their best players get 10 touches a game.

Walker averaged 5.5ish yards, don't know why we went away from him.

Brooks looked overall pretty solid, considering the knee damage he just dealt with and speedy recovery, I thought he greatly exceeded expectations for his return

With the starting OT's I thought the line looked formidable for 1-2 quarters

Julian Love had the only PBU and flashed occasionally, when Adams comes back I hope he takes on the nickel/safety hybrid type role and plants Coby Bryant on the bench

Witherspoon should be a massive upgrade at the CB position and the less we are forced to watch Tre Brown and Coby Bryant get cooked this year, the better. This defense has absolutely zero fire or heart and he has it in spades. Some intensity will be nice.

Crowd did their best watching a defense consistently be unable to get off the field
I want Rex Ryan as DC

knownone

Reaction score
The most optimistic takeaway is that this game was probably an outlier.

After listening to Pete's presser and rewatching the game, it's pretty clear the coaches were caught with their pants down in the second half. Why? A) The starting tackles were injured, and B) Hurt needed to be more aggressive to compensate but remained passive.

The thing is, the coaching staff didn't have much of an opportunity to adjust. The offense played fine in the first half, so it's reasonable to expect a similar performance. And if the offense stays on the field and scores points, the passive approach to defense works. However, both tackles were out after the first drive of the second half, and the backup lineman couldn't block anyone on our second drive.

The result? The Rams ran 37 plays on their first three drives, scored 17 points, and held the ball for 17 minutes. And that's not a result of bad defense. They weren't blowing multiple coverages or missing easy tackles. And Stafford made several outstanding plays, and his receivers made difficult catches.

The problem is that the Seahawk's coaching staff failed to recognize and adapt to a difficult situation. They needed to get aggressive, blitz, and get the ball back. Instead, they seemed content to let the Rams cut them to death and bleed the clock.

The good news is that it's not a talent issue!