Pro Bowl is not enough

BASF

Reaction score
As has been demonstrated on this board for years, posters around here do not think much of our Pro Bowl QB's. It started with Hass. Even though he was a three time pro bowler, plenty of posters here had major issues with him. My favorite was the "He doesn't throw a catchable ball." It continued with Russell Wilson, who while frustrating was still one of the top five QBs in all but one season as a Seahawk. Then, we arrive at Geno, who has been a pro bowler both seasons as a Seahawk starter, but there is a crusade by some against him. So, the answer is simple, we need an All Pro QB.

There have been many opinions bandied about here in how best to go about getting the All Pro QB that may finally unite us. So many in fact that I decided to go on a fact finding mission to maybe clear up some of the opinions thrown around. Now, my watching football began in 1980, so that is where I started the list. Anyone who wants to go further back, please feel free to do so. I'd be interested to see the results.

So many people here clamor for us to make a selection in the first round, cuz that is supposedly where the best QBs come from. However, I believe that many will be surprised at the truth for these forty-three seasons of the best QBs. For the purposes of the list, I did not bother with rounds as the rounds and amount of teams have changed throughout the years. Also, the undrafted will be denoted as ND (which will include Steve Young as he was not drafted out of college, but from another professional league). There has also been a back and forth about a QB benefitting from being the starter as a rookie, so we will take a look at that as well. The ultimate goal is of course to play in a Super Bowl, so we will include that in the list.

To make the pool a bit larger, I included second team All Pros
NAME
Brian Sipe
Ken Anderson
Joe Theisman
Dan Fouts
Tommy Kramer
Boomer Esiason
Don Majkowski
Warren Moon
Joe Montana
Mark Rypien
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino
John Elway
Steve Young
Randall Cunningham
Kurt Warner
Rich Gannon
Steve McNair
Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Tony Romo
Carson Palmer
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Carson Wentz
Drew Brees
Russell Wilson
Josh Allen
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Jalen Hurts
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Lamar Jackson
DAY 1 STARTER
N
N
N
N
N
N
N
N
N
N
Y
N
Y
N
N
N
N
N
N
Y
N
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
Y
N
N
N
N
N
Y
N
FINISHED STARTER
N
N
N
Y
N
N
Y
N
N
N
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
N
N
Y
N
Y
N
N
Y
Y
Y
N
Y
Y
N
N
Y
N
Y
Y
DRAFTED
ND
ND
ND
ND
PLAYED IN A SB
N
Y
Y
N
N
Y
N
N
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
N
Y
Y
N
Y
Y
N
Y
Y
Y
Y
N
N

A very interesting list. I originally looked at how many good seasons each of them had, but let's be honest. A lot of posters do not care how many good seasons a QB has, just as long as they can carry the team to the championship. Do with the list as you will, really just wanted to have it here as a reference.

OP
OP
BASF

BASF

Reaction score
So, did I just end the whole we need to draft a guy in the first round debate? This does kind of blow the we need to draft early to get one of the best QBs.

WarHawks

Reaction score
It certainly provides context, but you left out the most important stat. Qb's who have not just played in, but actually won a sb, since that is kind of the point of all of this.