Punting was a failure against the 49ers

The Outfield

Reaction score
Jon Ryan punted a total of 6 times on Sunday. Here are the results:

1st punt: 37 yards to SF 31
2nd punt: 36 yards to SF 39
3rd punt: blocked

4th punt: 31 yards to SF 17 (good, but penalty against us moved it up to 32)
5th punt: 35 yards to SF 32
6th punt: 47 yards to SF 23 (good, penalty on SF moved it to 13)

He's usually really good, but for the most part was crap on Sunday. The penalty on one of the punts didn't help. We have such a good special teams unit in terms of limiting punt return yardage (in fact, SF had 0 punt return yards on Sunday) that it's a shame not to use them. SF didn't have to work very hard for good field position.

saltyak

Reaction score
We gave them good field position, but I don't have any concerns about Ryan at this point ( felt like an overall ST issue if anything ) Our D responded pretty damn well to some tough starting positions though.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Soooo. We are still at 15 yards total return for the year??? Sounds like a fantastic number to me.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Totally agree. Normally I think he's great but was dissapointed all game on Sunday. Didn't get anywhere near the distance he usually gets. Hangtime for days but who cares on 35 yard punts. As a pro-bowl quality NFL punter, he should be able to get more yardage than that along with ample hang-time

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think he was going good hang time but he usually puts them inside the 20. A lot of fair catches though, maybe that's what they were going for?

The one cool thing about this team, the offense is capable of supporting no matter what field position, and our defense is capable of stopping an offense no matter where they get the ball.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2uqr2hf9 said:
Soooo. We are still at 15 yards total return for the year??? Sounds like a fantastic number to me.

It's really not fantastic if each punt is short. The recieving team just fair catches the short punt and they have great field position.

What is truly impressive is when the punter is blasting long, returnable punts and the punt coverage team is still not allowing any return yardage because their coverage is so awesome.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
If his 1 punt isn't blocked this isn't even a topic.

The block isn't even remotely his fault.

Perspective.

Axx

Reaction score
He can usually boom them
Wonder if pete told them to just make them unreturnable?

OP
OP
The Outfield

The Outfield

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":cykwm2tp said:
If his 1 punt isn't blocked this isn't even a topic.

The block isn't even remotely his fault.

Perspective.

Yes it is. Look at the other punts: 3 of them gave the 49ers great field position because they were only ~30 yard punts.

P.S. why was this moved to the NFL Nation forum? This is Seahawks related.

jdblack

Reaction score
It was moved because the mods don't want to see threads in there anymore about the 49er game. Other thread(s) were moved too.

I kept expecting another blocked punt. Maybe Ryan was too and changed the angle of his punts. Could have been unintentional, but I'd lean towards intentional at the request of coaches.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
The Radish":1qr0aozd said:
Time for this weeks game on the main forum.

:les:

This topic is about the Seahawks punting game, I don't understand why it got moved.

BASF

Reaction score
Besides, no one really wants to post about the Giants game. Everyone assumes that we will have no trouble with them so why discuss it? Kind of like the buildup to the Tampa Bay game.

NorCal

Reaction score
I was at the game and I noticed that your punter was practicing those types of kicks before the game and during halftime. It is that type of punt where the punter drops the ball pointed directly at the ground. Must've been their gameplan to get fair catches.

Latest posts