Queen and Brooks

keasley45

Reaction score
Comparisons between the two, or saying for 100% certainty that Brooks is marginal at x , or definitively that he's no good without Bobby is a taking casting judgement without context. Brooks and the rest of the defenders were playing in a flawed scheme. I'm sure through interviews and evaluating specific aspects of their tape. Mike and his staff have a much better feel for what guys like Brooks and the rest are capable of in reality. The last two years have just been far too tainted by a failure of the system.

Brooks has never played with a LB next to him that has the speed and power that Queen has. So it stands to reason he'd be better than he showed certainly with Barton. Better than he was with Bobby? Who knows.
Queen has played with a talented LB next to him and it did wonders for his game. Prior to Smith coming to the Ravens, Queen was OK.
All that to say I think the two of them together have the potential to be great. Regardless of whichever we get, Brooks will be better than he's shown because he'll be paired with someone competent (my assumption). And Queen will as well. I'll leave it to Mike to decide which of the two of them (if not both) fir his system better.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If I’m trusting Mac’s mind I grabbing both Queen and Dodson (he might be my favorite LBer in this FA class) and then seeing if De’Vondre Campbell (cut by GB) will come here on the cheap.

kidhawk

Reaction score
If we pick up a new MLB, what is the best round for a quality starter to push Brooks? Bobby was a 1st-round pick in the 4th... that doesn't happen often.

Couple of things

First, Brooks is a free agent so he’s not coming back to be pushed unless he gets re-signed which looks less likely by the day.

Second, Bobby was a 2nd round draft pick, not a 4th.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Comparisons between the two, or saying for 100% certainty that Brooks is marginal at x , or definitively that he's no good without Bobby is a taking casting judgement without context. Brooks and the rest of the defenders were playing in a flawed scheme. I'm sure through interviews and evaluating specific aspects of their tape. Mike and his staff have a much better feel for what guys like Brooks and the rest are capable of in reality. The last two years have just been far too tainted by a failure of the system.

Brooks has never played with a LB next to him that has the speed and power that Queen has. So it stands to reason he'd be better than he showed certainly with Barton. Better than he was with Bobby? Who knows.
Queen has played with a talented LB next to him and it did wonders for his game. Prior to Smith coming to the Ravens, Queen was OK.
All that to say I think the two of them together have the potential to be great. Regardless of whichever we get, Brooks will be better than he's shown because he'll be paired with someone competent (my assumption). And Queen will as well. I'll leave it to Mike to decide which of the two of them (if not both) fir his system better.
Just to be clear, when I say he wasn’t good without Bobby, I’m not saying he has to play with Bobby to be good. I just saw him lose a step when Bobby left. I think he needs someone out there to call the plays for him and set him up for success. He’s still a phenomenal athlete and can be good in the right situation.

It is just my belief that he’ll be getting paid too much to be that guy here as we’d need to pay someone else as well to lead that LB corp.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I thought Queen has much better coverage grades than Brooks?
Nope.

Patrick Queen was ranked 24th overall out of 82 ranked LB's while Jordy Brooks was ranked 68th. In pass coverage, Queen was ranked 17th, Brooks 47th.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I'd rather pass on both. I'd definitely avoid Queen, especially with the limited history of high-end play at the $$ being floated around.

Since the coaching staff is just coming together to build out their collective style and philosophy, and they haven't had a chance to work with the players already under contract to evaluate the fit -effectiveness - role, I think this might be a good year to strongly consider comp pick implications when signing free agents.

I'm in favor of letting our high-priced free agents go somewhere else, passing on outside free agents, shoring up the obvious weaknesses and depth by re-signing some of our lower-cost free agents and other teams' cuts, and maxing out on comp picks received.

RiverDog

Reaction score
As with Clowney, I'm going with Macdonald's judgement on Queen vs. Brooks. When it involves one of his former players, I'm always going to default to his opinion until he proves himself to be unworthy of my confidence.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Nope.

Patrick Queen was ranked 24th overall out of 82 ranked LB's while Jordy Brooks was ranked 68th. In pass coverage, Queen was ranked 17th, Brooks 47th.
Ok I think you're agreeing with me though? I said Queen was better and you gave stats showing that Queen was better. It's possible I'm an idiot because I haven't eaten lunch yet and I'm missing the obvious lol

GemCity

Reaction score
I wanted Queen when we passed on him and grabbed Brooks.

Ultimately, I do think one of them ends up here.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ok I think you're agreeing with me though? I said Queen was better and you gave stats showing that Queen was better. It's possible I'm an idiot because I haven't eaten lunch yet and I'm missing the obvious lol
Ahh, sorry, I must have had a senior moment. That happens occasionally.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking of KJ for Rd 4 pick. Even at 2nd Rd, Bobby was a steal.

With Brooks heading elsewhere, Mac gets to remake the LB position from scratch. It'll be interesting to see what he does...

Latest posts