RB Room just got destroyed.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Charbs sounds like he's going to be a redshirt, or close to it, based on that verbiage.

Walker I'm less concerned about, but groin injuries can nag. My prediction is ready week 1 with possible reaggravation down the line.

McIntosh is gonna get a shot at some real playing time, but Charbs is a bummer. They need that style contrast with K9.

I miss Penny. Be good to have his annual 3 amazing games ready for the start of the year to help ease the load.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm concerned. It's not the end of the world or anything but this kind of stuff matters.

Charbonnet is missing valuable camp time, and we've seen a few times now that missing significant chunks of training camp tends to completely derail rookie seasons. Our other RBs don't provide the same between the tackle physicality and so despite our depth in numbers this is a situation worth monitoring closely.

It's also not great when Pete uses the phrase "out a while" about any injury like he did with Walker. I don't think that's how Pete would talk about a grade 1 strain, so this is probably at least grade 2 and could impact the rest of training camp or more.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
He wasn't "jumping to despair", he was voicing his CONCERN & you sounded dismissive of that.
No, he said “we never catch a break with RBs” and “are cursed”. That is not voicing concern, that is jumping to despair. I asked how you go from a no info article straight to that.

You read things the way you want to so you can jump to your conclusions and do your affronted keyboard Tourette’s. I don’t know if it’s an educational deficiency or deliberate, but you see what you want to see instead of what’s written. It’s tiring and there’s no reason for you to respond to anything I post because you’re not going to read it right anyway.

Good day, sir.

Hawkmode

Reaction score
I'm concerned. It's not the end of the world or anything but this kind of stuff matters.

Charbonnet is missing valuable camp time, and we've seen a few times now that missing significant chunks of training camp tends to completely derail rookie seasons. Our other RBs don't provide the same between the tackle physicality and so despite our depth in numbers this is a situation worth monitoring closely.

It's also not great when Pete uses the phrase "out a while" about any injury like he did with Walker. I don't think that's how Pete would talk about a grade 1 strain, so this is probably at least grade 2 and could impact the rest of training camp or more.
Pete is showing "due concern" for the health of his players...medical evaluations will be needed to identify type and severity. As for missing camp...RB are the most "plug and play" ready type player to have game impact...he can learn "keys" with film study/coaching.

Mick063

Reaction score
Groin is muscle related. Not a long-term issue if minor tissue damage and treated correctly. Can be a lingering issue if not given the proper amount of time for recovery. I expect K9 will be serviceable by week one.

Not enough info about Charbonnet's shoulder, but that is typically a joint related issue which is more concerning. If I had to guess, at this phase of camp (no contact) the injury likely occurred in the weight room. Especially if the player can't point to a specific event that caused it (it just mysteriously appeared). The lifting coach may have to do a refresher course for proper lifting hygiene. It could just be some inflammation and swelling that needs a little rest. Keep him out of the weight room until the pain goes away.

Still too early to say that the position is "wrecked". Not enough information to make that call. Running back is one of the easiest positions for a rookie to transition to. Missed time isn't nearly the same level of "falling behind" as it is with the other offensive positions. You can incrementally "spoon feed" the rookie running backs into competency.

If we don't hear the word "surgery" within the next four days, I'm very optimistic that both will see action sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Sucks, but no reason for doom and gloom, even if they are out for the entire preseason.

It's RB. Walker knows the playbook and Charbs can still keep up to speed even if he's not getting reps. Biggest issue is getting protections down. But again, it's not as if Charbonet was going to be in the RB1 spot come week 1.

Walker should be fine for week 1 with rest.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
This is one of the main reasons why I don't like spending high draft picks on running backs. They're too damn susceptible to injury.

As some others have said, it's still early, and they're more likely to exercise an abundance of caution this time of year vs. during the regular season. Nevertheless, it's not good news.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I think KW will be OK by the opener. When Pete starts talking about shoulders, that seems more concerning for Zach. Interested to see Kenny McIntosh get out there.
Murph from Top billing just did a bit on him
So you're saying Kenny McIntosh in the 7th was good insurance, eh?
Murph would agree with you!

Hawkmode

Reaction score
This just opens the door for the two guys who needed the extra reps/snaps...DJ Dallas and Kenny McIntosh. It's also interesting that DJ and K-Mac are likely "fighting" for the RB3 role for Pass Pro in our 3rd down packages.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
This just opens the door for the two guys who needed the extra reps/snaps...DJ Dallas and Kenny McIntosh. It's also interesting that DJ and K-Mac are likely "fighting" for the RB3 role for Pass Pro in our 3rd down packages.
Well someone might want to let Geno know that - he might want a vote after getting burned by K9's blocking allergy - and calling him out for it last season!

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Well someone might want to let Geno know that - he might want a vote after getting burned by K9's blocking allergy - and calling him out for it last season!
Fair enough...pass pro in the NFL is serious business compared to College ball where few "pocket" passers exist in the traditional sense. College QBs see more open targets quickly unlike the NFL where the QB needs time to progress through his "reads". On obvious passing downs...with the exception of calling RB "draw" plays...why not put a capable TE in the backfield to block an uncovered blitzer or stunting DE? RBs blocking a charging defender with a full head of steam is a mismatch that defies physics...as long as the RB is "willing" you really can't expect much more till experience is gained.

Mick063

Reaction score
Pass protection for running backs is most critical for an inside blitz, in between the tackles (A tight end can handle the edges even if only done as a "chip" on their way into a pattern). Further, an edge blitz is much easier for the quarterback to identify and step away from simply because it is a longer distance for the defender to travel. Additionally, the quarterback is conditioned to trust his interior blocking because offensive linemen are taught to prioritize "inside out". Hence, the quarterbacks inherently tend to scan the edges for impending pressure.

A bigger back like DJ Dallas is well suited to handle the interior protection. Walker shouldn't be put in that position and would be much better utilized in a draw play or screen pass to counter the interior blitz. Hell, even a play action look might be a better option for Walker than asking him to be mismatched against a charging 255-pound linebacker.

I would love to see a competent, reliable screen pass from the Seahawks. Walker is ideally suited for such a play. If you prefer chunk plays in the passing game, then you have to master the associated plays that address the inevitable blitz that is used to counter them. That means screens and draws. It takes great timing and coordination by the offensive line, but more important, it takes great acting. They have to sell the play because the intent is to fool the defense. Regardless, there are many other means to counter an interior blitz than expecting Walker to block for it.

Last edited:

pmedic920

Reaction score
We all know that Pete is gunna Pete but….

His level of concern doesn’t appear to very high. Obviously the shoulder thing is an unknown as of this AM.

I suggest giving this a listen.
Link works, it’s a redirect to youtube.