Re-draftng the 2021 draft (Seahawks related)

seabowl

Reaction score
Just saw a piece on re-drafting the 2021 first round. Now obviously Eskridge was drafted in rd 2 but in retrospect probably should have gone in a later round. Yes he was injured but even when he was in there he did not shine. With this said, and as many of us here had mentioned, Creed Humphrey was available at pick 56 and the Hawks passed on him. He was there for the taking and in a position of major need. His re-draft spot was 12. Could you imagine how much further along they would have been if they took him? Meanwhile the Hawks reach on a small school player that plays a position where we have 2 of the best in the league already and will be 25 years old this coming season. Very perplexing.

As much as the downfall of the team this last tear was on coaching it will be an interesting time for Mr. Schneider to regain some of that talent acquisition prowess as he needs a strong offseason.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think Eskridge was a direct result of RWs request for a more explosive offense. Shane knew Eskridge from his time with the Rams and the intel on draft day was that if we didn't get him, Mcvay would. So RW and SW got their dude and in the process kept him away from a division rival. What happened to him during the season was just unfortunate.

I'd wager if we'd have been in the hunt toward the end of the season, we'd have seen Eskeridge on the field quite a bit more. There was no return in risking him getting another concussion on the heels of the one he head early in the season.

Rat

Reaction score
Usually I'd say something about hindsight, but I remember a lot of Seahawks fans wanting Humphrey pretty badly going into that draft.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets go back and re draft Farve instead of McGwire....................

This board spends more time bitching about players that could have been taken then any place I have visited.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I wanted Creed, but to just give up on Dee, or any Rookie WR after their first season would be a mistake. This team needed a #3 receiver badly. Eskridge got hurt, this is a violent game, it happens. His injury history is worrisome, but we have to throw that out the window. Look how healthy Penny was in college and he’s missed a lot of games in the Pro’s because of injuries.

Rookie WRs that don’t translate in year 3 is a bust. There’s time. Be patient.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
chris98251":283uxkhg said:

This board spends more time b!@ch about players that could have been taken then any place I have visited.

Sorry but you are waaay off. Try going on the Eagles board to see how often they talk about passing on DK or many teams' boards for passing on RW, Mac Jones, etc. The FACT is that many of us were clamoring for them to take Creed before or during the draft and they passed to take a player at a position that IMO we did not have a ton of need for. This was not a hindsight post on "should have taken Creed" when nobody was asking for the hawks to take him but rather again, what many were calling for before and during the draft.

The real purpose of the topic was to draw attention to Schneider and his need to get a lot right this offseason.

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":2by0blnv said:

This board spends more time b!@ch about players that could have been taken then any place I have visited.

Normally, I would agree with this sentiment, but I think it's a legitimate discussion in this case. Creed wasn't some nobody, it can be argued that it should been an easy pick, but the front office chose flash over substance. It feels like if we had passed up Bobby Wagner for LaMichael James in 2012. And before everyone trips over themselves to mention Aaron Curry, I'm not saying Humphrey would have been the "safe" pick, just that based on what we needed at the time, it should have been an easy pick.

Granted, there's no shortage of examples of teams electing for flash and it paying off too. I hope our front office is able to learn something from this experience and the team ends up being better for it.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I wanted Sanchez in 2009, so unfortunately I'm on a self imposed lifetime ban from draft speculation.

John63

Reaction score
seabowl":31c10vzz said:
Just saw a piece on re-drafting the 2021 first round. Now obviously Eskridge was drafted in rd 2 but in retrospect probably should have gone in a later round. Yes he was injured but even when he was in there he did not shine. With this said, and as many of us here had mentioned, Creed Humphrey was available at pick 56 and the Hawks passed on him. He was there for the taking and in a position of major need. His re-draft spot was 12. Could you imagine how much further along they would have been if they took him? Meanwhile the Hawks reach on a small school player that plays a position where we have 2 of the best in the league already and will be 25 years old this coming season. Very perplexing.

As much as the downfall of the team this last tear was on coaching it will be an interesting time for Mr. Schneider to regain some of that talent acquisition prowess as he needs a strong offseason.

That is their MO, Other than DK who has been a top tier talent in the last 5 years

AgentDib

Reaction score
seabowl":3vk14r12 said:
Could you imagine how much further along they would have been if they took him?
Not that much farther along? We don't know anything about Humphrey's line calls and center is the least important position by far in our scheme when it comes to just run blocking and pass blocking. Our center is nearly always just double teaming against a tackle, or blocking a LB on the second level in the running game. That's probably the obvious reason why we didn't draft a center.

I just watched week 18 again over the weekend. My TE/RB/OL notes were generally very positive and there was really only one time all game where I felt the run blocking needed to be better from the center (Q3 7:30 2nd&9 at ARI49). Somebody who just watched this game without any preconceptions would consider this a good OL although they might be a bit concerned by DLewis's pass blocking.

1st drive: Strip sack was on DLewis who bit on an inside fake and got beat to the outside.

2nd drive: Huge holes on three Penny runs in a row up middle, left side B gap, and up middle. Parkinson nice snag on low pass.

3rd drive: Great Penny move dodging open field tackle. QB option carry that didn't fool them. Successful QB sneak. Everett slow to block LB that led to Penny getting tackled in the backfield. Pressure given up by Curhan.

4th drive: Miscommunication on pass to Parkinson. Major confusion on run play; Eskridge lined up 5 yards outside of the guy he was supposed to block and Curhan fell down.

5th drive: Great cut by Penny. Pocic needed better effort on second level block where he was surprised Penny got through first level blocks behind him. Bad series for Everett; Miscommunication on pass, then OPI then dropped TD on over the shoulder catch.

6th drive: DLewis and Curhan both beat around the outside, edge pressure on Russ leads to bad throw and INT.

7th drive: Good holes from OL runs by Penny. Brown gives up interior pressure. DLewis gets away with blatant holding call on third down.

8th drive: Curhan pushes his guy 8 yards down the field. Good blocking effort from Everett on quick pass. Penny with a great juke on LB in right side B gap for huge gain.

9th drive: Arizona DL showing fatigue after fumble gives us football at their 10 yard line. Three runs for TD with lackluster tackling from defense.

10th drive: Odd decision from Everett on one play to abandon blocking his man in order to double team DE. Great block from Jackson and Curhan and speed from Penny for 62 yard TD run around right side.