Really impressed by this O Line

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
it's time to replace gabe jackson.

also, time to find a center that does more than just snap the ball. hideous interior line play to this point on running plays. they get no push in the run game. unless something gets fixed, gonna have to look at penny and walker's stats with a grain of salt.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
After 2 games Cross and Lucas have both graded out higher according to PFF than Neal and Ikem who were the top 2 lineman picked in the draft
Ikem Ekwonu is a project. Especially in pass blocking. Cross is a much more polished pass blocker.

Scout

Reaction score
Flipping Lewis and Gabe may help both players. But at this point maybe Haynes would fair better than Gabe because of higher upside. The problem I saw with Haynes during pre season was he needed to keep his hands more on the inside because the refs are looking to call holding penalties. Hayes was responsible for some penalties in pre season that stopped two drives alone. So until he is more mentally and technically sound the vet Gabe has the nod for now....

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
it's time to replace gabe jackson.

also, time to find a center that does more than just snap the ball. hideous interior line play to this point on running plays. they get no push in the run game. unless something gets fixed, gonna have to look at penny and walker's stats with a grain of salt.
Maybe we should run outside the tackles more often if the interior is getting beat?

I know Cross, at least, is far more experienced as a pass blocker but it's something to consider.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
It surprised me greatly when Pete said he thought our line did pretty well for 3 quarters vs the niners. I thought the interior got nihilated most of the game, and our tackles got beat more often than was acceptable as well. They pretty much stuffed out running game start to finish. Until that changes we will see more of the same, and opening up the passing game will not happen until we can run the ball with good effect.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Maybe we should run outside the tackles more often if the interior is getting beat?

I know Cross, at least, is far more experienced as a pass blocker but it's something to consider.
still need a solid interior to run off tackle. running off tackle also means your TE and WR need to actually chip in as well.

one thing we need to start doing against heavy / blitzing fronts is utilize the screen pass. it can help offset a defense's aggressive downhill advantage they have over us right now. and we just don't bother for some reason. kenny walker would be amazing on screen plays.

... screens... and actually passing downfield. running into 7 - 8 man fronts over and over is tough even if you have a good running attack. our passing game needs to atleast keep defenses honest, and let's face it, nobody is afraid of geno or our current offensive scheme.

and our running backs aren't power runners. marshawn was, he created holes. he punished defenders. wore defenses down by the 4th quarter. we also used to have FB help in our power run game. not anymore. and our current TE aren't even good at run blocking. our stable of backs can be great if they ware given lanes. but they aren't going to create those lanes themselves, or wear down a defense, or compensate for shitty blocking. that's not who our backs are. they need space to operate.

as i said, gabe jackson needs to go. his best days are gone. and we need a center that does more than just hike the football. interior line is a major weakness on this team right now, as is our ability to scheme around that weakness. let's hope waldron figures it out.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I want Jackson on the bench, but I suspect they might be keeping him in there to help coach up Abe Lucus.

I still would like to move Lewis back to RG and keep Phil at LG. Roll with it and let’s see what happens.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
it's well known that PC/JS dug a huge hole with their roster management in recent years. very little investment on the oline until the 2022 draft. imagine if instead of blowing picks on:

lj collier - 2019, rd 1, pick 29 :cry:
marquise blair - 2019, rd 2, pick 47 :unsure:
d eskridge - 2021, rd 2, pick 56 😤

and the draft capital we gave up from the jamal adams trade... (2021 1st rd and 2022 1st rd) 🤢🤮🤮 ...we instead had invested just some of those 1st and 2nd round picks in key places like interior oline...

...it could have been a whole 'nother ball game this season. instead of oline being a weakness (giving gabe jackson another chance, penciling in band-aid austin blythe at center, etc...) it could instead have been a strength. pete wants to run the ball, but the hawks continue to struggle doing so, given this paradigm.

well, as seen with the 2022 draft, PC/JS have seemed to changed course. 2023's draft class will feature more than just a rookie qb. look for investment at interior oline to be a top priority.

Fade

Reaction score
it's well known that PC/JS dug a huge hole with their roster management in recent years. very little investment on the oline until the 2022 draft. imagine if instead of blowing picks on:

lj collier - 2019, rd 1, pick 29 :cry:
marquise blair - 2019, rd 2, pick 47 :unsure:
d eskridge - 2021, rd 2, pick 56 😤

and the draft capital we gave up from the jamal adams trade... (2021 1st rd and 2022 1st rd) 🤢🤮🤮 ...we instead had invested just some of those 1st and 2nd round picks in key places like interior oline...

View attachment 54625

...it could have been a whole 'nother ball game this season. instead of oline being a weakness (giving gabe jackson another chance, penciling in band-aid austin blythe at center, etc...) it could instead have been a strength. pete wants to run the ball, but the hawks continue to struggle doing so, given this paradigm.

well, as seen with the 2022 draft, PC/JS have seemed to changed course. 2023's draft class will feature more than just a rookie qb. look for investment at interior oline to be a top priority.
You must be a 9ers fan. /s

The poor roster management and coaching goes back further than recent years as well.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Of course it's preseason so metrics like the one below are all but meaningless, but the signs are pointing in the right direction for the offensive line at least. Cross and Lucas look to be great picks and Blythe a pretty good signing. There is some depth as well - Haynes for example is putting on some good tape.

Not to leave things on a negative note, but the biggest addition (as far as pass protection goes) was always going to be the 'addition by subtraction' of parting ways with a QB who held the ball at league high rates and had notoriously poor pocket awareness.

View attachment 54236
I didn’t expect the Bears would be this high. I just want to point out that this stat is influenced by the play of the QB, depending on whether he gets the ball out quickly or holds too long in the pocket. For example, Fields holds the ball 2.6 seconds on pass plays — third worst in NFL. That’s why I am a little surprised that Bears 0L ranks#6. My impression is that Geno normally gets the ball out reasonably fast, although I don’t know his statistics.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Here's some good tape and commentary (IMO) on our O-line against the Lions.

I particularly like the second play he covered.