Richard Sherman interviews Pete Carroll

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Richard Sherman interviewed Pete Carroll for Sherman's podcast.

You can see it here:

The video is just over 44 minutes long, but both men speak sufficiently clearly that you can watch it at double speed and not miss anything. And the 22 minutes went pretty quickly for me, because both had interesting stuff to say.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'm going to watch this. It's interesting to see those two get together. Sherman was pretty vocal on his way out . Of course, I wouldn't expect anything different from Sherman.

NoGain

Reaction score
One thing I just love about PC is that he has real respect for his players as human beings. He doesn't burn bridges even if his players attempt to do so. If and when he makes the HOF as a coach, that will be a big part of his legacy. No one can take away from him the positive culture he creates for his players to grow and develop within. There's something quite unique about him in that way.

keasley45

Reaction score
It should be enlightening to see a guy like Sherm who was as critical as any about PC when he left, to have gone to play for Bill B and B Arians and come back around to revere and respect Pete the way he does. You can not like everything about the guy, but he is hands down the best coach this franchise has ever had and one of the best to do it, ever.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It should be enlightening to see a guy like Sherm who was as critical as any about PC when he left, to have gone to play for Bill B and B Arians and come back around to revere and respect Pete the way he does. You can not like everything about the guy, but he is hands down the best coach this franchise has ever had and one of the best to do it, ever.

It's hard to tell with Sherm.

I'd like to think he's softened and matured, but part of me thinks he still has that stubborn chip on his shoulder and in private still talks trash about Pete and his time in Seattle.

I just think that's the way he's wired, and it's hard to change your wiring. But I do love that Pete NEVER takes the bait, or even raises his blood pressure one point over any of this, and can have very honest conversations with these guys like Sherm who he knows bashed him in the past.

That takes a big person, very few of those exist. Pete's a real one.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Good listen. It was very interesting. Especially the way he explained/framed the Super Bowl play. This appeared to be more cathartic for Sherm than a real interview. It was interesting to listen how Pete makes decisions on drafting some players. More character driven than performance driven at times. Pete really buys in and sells the intangibles of the game. IMHO that is exactly what a head coach should do.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Loved it!
I was sold from the start when Sherm said "My Coach" and one of my favorite
people..
Sherm is pretty good with his show and Pete is Pete -Our coach

Last edited:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete is right when he says a lot of people still don’t get him. He’s volumes deep, and I’m very grateful to have vicariously gotten to “know” him on some level. He’s brought me joy through football, but he’s also impacted my thinking in a positive way on a lot of things.

Enjoy him while we’ve got him, folks.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
44 minutes of Sherm? I'd rather have my gums scraped.

That being said........I'll probably watch it at some point :ROFLMAO:
Sherm is a huge part of the entire history of the Seahawks ... all the great things and some of the strange things. If you're a Seahawks fan you just have to accept that the Richard Sherman experience is part of that. You have to admit --- the great far exceeds whatever crazy stuff might stick in your craw.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
It's hard to tell with Sherm.

I'd like to think he's softened and matured, but part of me thinks he still has that stubborn chip on his shoulder and in private still talks trash about Pete and his time in Seattle.

I just think that's the way he's wired, and it's hard to change your wiring. But I do love that Pete NEVER takes the bait, or even raises his blood pressure one point over any of this, and can have very honest conversations with these guys like Sherm who he knows bashed him in the past.

That takes a big person, very few of those exist. Pete's a real one.
I think he does sincerely love Pete and his time with us. He stopped himself a couple of times during the interview I found from saying his full feelings. I think it's hard for him to let go completely as that's the type of person he is. All of the individuals that we consider to be the pioneers of our time are like this for a lack of better wording. To put it in prospective the Legion of Boom are his brothers and then to lose the Super Bowl like we did was extremely painful especially with all of emotional intensity and intelligence put into the road to get there. Not to mention it really was like a family at that point. You could feel the energy and love. To lose like that can really cloud your judgment. Sometimes when there's so much heart and time put into a situation it can be hard to let go and separate your emotions from your logical brain. It's especially difficult when you're hardwired towards something that is emotionally important to you.

You see it with George Lucas and Star Wars. He cares and loves it so much as its his art. It's hard for some fans to accept the changes he made to it because of their emotional attachment to the way they first saw it. They have trouble understanding he really wasn't satisfied with how it appeared back then. However if they were able to separate their personal emotional views for one of understanding they'd see a different side to the story. I think the same applies to Sherm and Pete. These types of individuals are hardwired towards the highest of high standards. It's easy to compromise. It's harder to uphold your values and go against the grain when people tell you that you're wrong. Some may call this being stubborn but I find it inspiring.

Last edited:

FLSeahawk

Reaction score
I don’t know about comparing it to Star Wars. But that was one of the most open interviews I’ve seen from Pete. I’m sure if I lived in Seattle still I could’ve seen this Pete at a fundraiser open up this much, but it would’ve more about positivity and not about the inner workings of our locker room.

Thanks for posting, that was really insightful into who Pete and JS want on their teams and how Pete wants to mold and grow them and himself.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
I don’t know about comparing it to Star Wars. But that was one of the most open interviews I’ve seen from Pete. I’m sure if I lived in Seattle still I could’ve seen this Pete at a fundraiser open up this much, but it would’ve more about positivity and not about the inner workings of our locker room.

Thanks for posting, that was really insightful into who Pete and JS want on their teams and how Pete wants to mold and grow them and himself.

Here's a short video of George for comparison to Pete and Sherm's chat.

I see the same love, passion, and dedication in George that I do in Pete and Sherm. Sports like film are a very collaborative effort that rely on a leader to make it work. If you don't have a leader the whole project falls apart before long. The same thing happens in sports. You can't sculpt or create anything truly meaningful without all out effort.

Last edited:

Torc

Reaction score
A couple of things i pulled from it; Sherm especially was clearly holding back still very strong emotions about that Super Bowl. And Pete very clearly has heard some of the criticisms and wants to put them to rest. Specifically the comment he made several times that there "wasn't an agenda with that play call", I suspect that is aimed squarely at the people who say that he wanted Russ to be the MVP of the game.

LTH

Reaction score
I think Pete Carroll is the most misunderstood coach in the history of the NFL. Even today, there are knowledgable Seahawk football fans that do NOT have a clue why Pete Carroll has been so successfull in his career. It took the media like 9 years or better to have an understanding of who Pete is and what he represents to his players. For 9 plus years petes standard answer at LEAST one question in every PC was ,

" We just don't think about THINGS in those terms."

But the questions still kept coming.

I was mad when Holmgren left. When Carroll came in after Mora ...I rolled my eyes. Because I didn't understand Pete Carroll. But learning about him and why he does what he does has been a joyfully experience for me and I hope it's been a joyfully experience for you.

I am so grateful to have Pete Carroll as the coach of the Seahawks through all the good and bad times. He has done this city a solid in many different ways and IF he ever leaves, or If he ever retires it will be the sadest day in Seattle sports history at least in my mind.

I love what he brings to the Seahawks , love what he brings to the city of Seattle I love how he makes boys into men. I love how he builds players.

Great interview by Sherm just proves a lot of things and lays foundation for his players and coaches...

LTH