Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

nanomoz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2nrwi824 said:
JayhawkMike":2nrwi824 said:
On to plans F,G and H since the team effed this up and all the good options signed elsewhere. I’m ready for a management change.
Griffen is still out there. Bet the Hawks get either him or they sign Clowney.

And don't rule our Ngakoue. And there could be other options that just aren't known about.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
nanomoz":1myikya6 said:
Sports Hernia":1myikya6 said:
JayhawkMike":1myikya6 said:
On to plans F,G and H since the team effed this up and all the good options signed elsewhere. I’m ready for a management change.

And don't rule our Ngakoue. And there could be other options that just aren't known about.
That’s true as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
When you have high profile guys like this you get a lot of speculative insider stories based on a snippet of information or conversation, Clownery's camp has not said no to Seattle, he did say no to resigning with Houston at the time, so it something he will do.

We heard some of the same stuff with other players that did re sign here, remember unless it is draft related the news is very limited right now about Football, people are going to milk the tits of a news story till it is no longer a relevant situation.

massari

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":9a1iq12o said:
JayhawkMike":9a1iq12o said:
Griffen and Irvin both turn 33 during the season and Mayowa will be 29 before the season. :pukeface:

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I feel like the Clowney thing has gotten a little out of hand.

I am getting flashbacks to the Wilson extension. Yes, Clowney might leave, but does anyone remember the Wilson trade rumors? Remember, the NY rumors? Or that he was going to play for the Yankees?

I think Seattle assessed his value and has set their price. I don’t begrudge them for sticking with their process.

Yes, Seattle needs pass rush. But they have limited cap space and a lot of depth to sign. If Seattle signs Clowney to big money and turns out to be Mario Williams or Muhammad Wilkerson, or gets the Avril or Kam treatment, we’d hate the signing. I think Seattle has become much more cautious about getting into the Cap Hell that was created at the end of the LOB days. Those decisions are part of the reason why we had to trade Clark in the first place.

I like Clowney, I hope he stays. But to paint the picture that we are somehow doomed without him is the kind of decision making that gets you into trouble.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat. Judon, Griffen, Yannick, are still available. As are other veteran options like Vinny Curry, Markus Golden, Michael Bennett, Clay Matthews and Cameron Wake. We also have the draft.

Are we better with Clowney? Yes. Is the world over if he walks? Hardly.

I honestly find the situation extremely interesting. Both Pete and John said pass rush was an issue at their combine press conferences. But they have gone about fixing it in a way most didn’t expect and it makes the draft even more intriguing for me.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2qmtbp5e said:
nanomoz":2qmtbp5e said:
It's been a long time since the Hawks had a defensive lineman that could take over games. Clowney took over a couple last year.

Folks devaluing him based on the 3.5 sacks stat aren't good at watching football.

And I don't think "being tired of it" is a legitimate reason to not want him on the Seahawks anymore. The circumstances of this offseason are absolutely singular. Cut the guy some slack, Je$us.

He took over a few games, in spurts, for sure. Did he really elevate the defense overall?? No...the defense was not good and easily attacked.

The point is he's commanding a lot of money for relatively little impact on THIS particular defense. You need to look deeper than the surface level fan boy appreciation we all suffer from at times. Clowney is a great player; nobody questions that. I'm not sure he is a good fit with a coordinator as seemingly inept as Ken Norton Jr.

I'm not sure that any blue-chip defensive end could have elevated this defense with the dearth of production along the rest of the line. Green had a few flashes and that was it.

For me, Clowney's individual accomplishments and the position he plays are enough to merit a considerably large payout.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Look at the moron that is reporting the article - Mike Garafolo. That dude is not close to be a reliable source. The guy wants clicks and attention. He knows he can get it from reporting crap like this.

nwHawk

Reaction score
The amount of sacks last year alone should make make you want to find change. Hard to be at the bottom and want it keep it the same. Fear of the unknown is not as bad when you just watched a unit struggle to get to the QB. Maybe a change will be worth it.

Plus, I not sure if you guys have seem the Seahawks "offer sheet" photo that's on the internet, but if that picture is valid I would have to believe that Clowney's camp leaked it to get other teams to up the bidding. I can't imagine Hawks would have allowed it to come out. I won't post the photo, but if you want to find it you should be able to google it yourself. Rule #1 - protect the team. I don't see him coming back.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
talks between the jags and yannick N have broken down and he's making cooing noises in Seattle's direction

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
That offer sheet is a fraud and Garrafolo's article is nothing more than another fluff rehash of previously submitted opinion pieces.
The last public statement issued from Seahawk's Schneider and Clowney made it clear from both that Seattle wants Clowney and Seattle is the team Clowney most wants to play for. No one from either side has publicly said anything else about it since and neither side will leak anything until there is a final decision by one or the other, or both.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I believe nothing I read this time of year and that includes public statements from organizations and players. It's all posturing.

sutz

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1aqf5jjc said:
I believe nothing I read this time of year and that includes public statements from organizations and players. It's all posturing.
:ditto: Yeah, what he said. Oh, and include agents, of course.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Oh how I wish you were right Appy, but this situation has gone on on since prior to Frank Clark leaving and it seems as if the FO is only prepared to pay what they think the market should be. This is a position, but not a position that lends itself to keeping a player like Clark, or Clowney, and it seems as if they are prepared now if needed to trade away a 1st and swap 2nds with Jax to repeat the process again. Given the history as demonstrated what substantial likelihood is there to sign Ngakoue? Seems like an annual waste of resources to find an answer to a question that appears obvious. Sometimes you actually need to pay the market price.

This latest article from Rob Staton The article rather depressingly puts the situation into a perspective that once again renders the situation to be confoundingly difficult to understand. Agree or disagree, the results sadly speak volumes so far. I appreciate that the final picture for this year is not in place but the cap is becoming depleted, and the draft this year doesn’t offer a great deal of hope.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/what-happe ... -pass-rush

I am a huge fan of the FO and think that Jn’P have been brilliant in finding the guys that fit the schemes they want to run, but this year their response to an obvious stated priority fixing their pass rush has been confusing. I truly dislike repeating negativity surrounding the team but the draft unfortunately has not yielded much help with the pass rush for some time now.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sutz":23j6gwy8 said:
Seanhawk":23j6gwy8 said:
:ditto: Yeah, what he said. Oh, and include agents, of course.

I should have mentioned them, but my thinking was their hands are up in everyone's asses making them talk.

hawks85

Reaction score
Well there you have it. Seattle is no longer interested in Clowney. Its on NFL.com. I knew it Clowney screwed up sitting out this long. Now hes going to have to sign with a not so good franchise. I'm glad hes no here. WAY over hyped.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Appyhawk":28tfiqm2 said:
That offer sheet is a fraud and Garrafolo's article is nothing more than another fluff rehash of previously submitted opinion pieces.
The last public statement issued from Seahawk's Schneider and Clowney made it clear from both that Seattle wants Clowney and Seattle is the team Clowney most wants to play for. No one from either side has publicly said anything else about it since and neither side will leak anything until there is a final decision by one or the other, or both.

So why hasn't he signed?

rcaido

Reaction score
hawks85":j8gyi078 said:
Well there you have it. Seattle is no longer interested in Clowney. Its on NFL.com. I knew it Clowney screwed up sitting out this long. Now hes going to have to sign with a not so good franchise. I'm glad hes no here. WAY over hyped.

Overhyped? Did you not watch the games he played last season? The guy got double team so many times & was just amazing disrupter...

Ansah didn't do jack, Reed was out half the season, & Collier was non impactful rookie. With the addition Irvin & Mayowa and maybe even one more, pass rushing can be one of our strength this coming season.

We should wait as long as possible to get Clowney, Griffin is nice but not even close to his prime now, he's been on the decline for years. Clowney is not.