Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

toffee

Reaction score
Can someone educate me what Clowney can do that the Griffens of the world couldn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":3nep2phn said:
Can someone educate me what Clowney can do that the Griffens of the world couldn’t?

Well for one, there's only one Everson Griffen, so the "Griffen's of the world" insinuates that there's more of his type of player available? Idk what you mean by that statement.

Both are good to great players, so IMO either would fit in well here. Griffen's more of a straight up the field run and pass rusher, and Clowney's a little more dynamic and can line up anywhere on the line.

The biggest difference is Clowney's five years younger. So I'd be VERY nervous about giving Griffen any more than 1-2 year deal.

Cost wise? Probably around the same, maybe Griffen's a little cheaper, honestly I don't know. I do know Griffen's waiting for Clowney to sign so he knows what his market is.

hawks85

Reaction score
morgulon1":kekr68zg said:
I think the 1 season that we had Clowney was enough. He is what he is which is a player with dynamic physical potential but has underperformed and has been injured since he was drafted . Yes he has flashed brilliantly at times and that has a lot of people enamored with the idea of throwing a lot of money his way, but we signed 2 second tier free agents that doubled his sacks , one of the 2 coming off the bench.
I am with the group that hopes he doeant come back. I trust what the front office is going to do.
They improved the cb position, well have a good FS/SS tandem for a full season, Barton will take a step forward,Reed will get back to being Reed
and we still have a chance for free agency and the draft (virtual)

GO HAWKS !
I've been saying this for awhile. Clowney is slightly above average and people don't wanna hear that, but its facts. People wanna talk about the sacks saying it more than just sacks. Well that's not what the NFL is saying because if this were true Clowney would have his 20 plus mil a year deal with some team already, and people don't wanna hear that either. The bottom line is Clowney needs to step up his game if he wants 20 mil a year.

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":vg5evjdg said:

He can rescue people from quicksand by throwing them his hair for one!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawks85":3bvvropd said:
morgulon1":3bvvropd said:
I think the 1 season that we had Clowney was enough. He is what he is which is a player with dynamic physical potential but has underperformed and has been injured since he was drafted . Yes he has flashed brilliantly at times and that has a lot of people enamored with the idea of throwing a lot of money his way, but we signed 2 second tier free agents that doubled his sacks , one of the 2 coming off the bench.
I am with the group that hopes he doeant come back. I trust what the front office is going to do.
They improved the cb position, well have a good FS/SS tandem for a full season, Barton will take a step forward,Reed will get back to being Reed

GO HAWKS !
I've been saying this for awhile. Clowney is slightly above average and people don't wanna hear that, but its facts. People wanna talk about the sacks saying it more than just sacks. Well that's not what the NFL is saying because if this were true Clowney would have his 20 plus mil a year deal with some team already, and people don't wanna hear that either. The bottom line is Clowney needs to step up his game if he wants 20 mil a year.

The NFL is hedging its bets because Clowney played on the least talented defensive line in the league, got hurt, and therefore finished the season as a question mark. He could go either way from here. It doesn't mean that he's "slightly above average", it means he's an unknown quantity.

That he played on the league's least effective line and still managed to wreck even one game, much less multiple games, suggests greatness to me rather than otherwise. I think Seattle should take the risk and find a way. But they're not going to break the bank, and don't forget, NOBODY is going to cough up huge sums without being able to get a physical on him. That's a factor.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Clowney certainty had his moments. Ziggy was a flash in the pan for a game and then back to WTF. Personally, I don't see the Hawks resigning him, unless it's on their terms. Say what you will, but I think they're trying to get his contract pushed up and then bow out. It looks better from a PR standpoint if they are "out bid" and they potentially receive a better comp pick.

hawks85

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":bfzhibp1 said:
hawks85":bfzhibp1 said:
morgulon1":bfzhibp1 said:

GO HAWKS !

The NFL is hedging its bets because Clowney played on the least talented defensive line in the league, got hurt, and therefore finished the season as a question mark. He could go either way from here. It doesn't mean that he's "slightly above average", it means he's an unknown quantity.

That he played on the league's least effective line and still managed to wreck even one game, much less multiple games, suggests greatness to me rather than otherwise. I think Seattle should take the risk and find a way. But they're not going to break the bank, and don't forget, NOBODY is going to cough up huge sums without being able to get a physical on him. That's a factor.
He wasn't wrecking havoc in Houston either. Clowney is way over-hyped IMO. I hope Clowney doesn't re-sign Seattle will survive without him. And yes I still think Clowney is slightly above average talented line or not.

morgulon1

Reaction score
hawks85":2ykjk8ef said:
morgulon1":2ykjk8ef said:

GO HAWKS !

Exactly.

His play and availability has set the market for his services, of course that could change in a second by a team that has
the cap space and the willingness to pay Clowney for the possibility that he'll surpass his record 9 sacks.

Good luck JaVonski

I'd resign Ansah if he were actually healthy and wanted to play for a minimum deal. I dont think he was healthy all year.
If he's suckville , cut him.

hawks85

Reaction score
morgulon1":3ix5qnsa said:
hawks85":3ix5qnsa said:
morgulon1":3ix5qnsa said:

GO HAWKS !

Exactly.

His play and availability has set the market for his services, of course that could change in a second by a team that has
the cap space and the willingness to pay Clowney for the possibility that he'll surpass his record 9 sacks.

Good luck JaVonski

I'd resign Ansah if he were actually healthy and wanted to play for a minimum deal. I dont think he was healthy all year.
Yup I agree. This fanbase needs to understand Clowney isn't re-signing here. Even with his so called lower price not a lot of teams are biting. People here that are crossing the fingers shaking their fists to the sky sign Clowney are pathetic. Its not gonna happen it would have happened already, and again people don't wanna hear that. I still think he signs with the Titans. Seattle and the people here who are wishing upon a star to sign Clowney need to move forward.

toffee

Reaction score
nwHawk":lzzvlpe6 said:
Clowney certainty had his moments. Ziggy was a flash in the pan for a game and then back to WTF. Personally, I don't see the Hawks resigning him, unless it's on their terms. Say what you will, but I think they're trying to get his contract pushed up and then bow out. It looks better from a PR standpoint if they are "out bid" and they potentially receive a better comp pick.
What’s Ziggy’s vet minimum?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawks85":1v7fm5zf said:
morgulon1":1v7fm5zf said:
hawks85":1v7fm5zf said:
morgulon1":1v7fm5zf said:

GO HAWKS !

Exactly.

Good luck JaVonski

Yup I agree. This fanbase needs to understand Clowney isn't re-signing here. Even with his so called lower price not a lot of teams are biting. People here that are crossing the fingers shaking their fists to the sky sign Clowney are pathetic. Its not gonna happen it would have happened already, and again people don't wanna hear that. I still think he signs with the Titans. Seattle and the people here who are wishing upon a star to sign Clowney need to move forward.

While he may not sign here, I don't understand how anything up to this point is anything more than business negotiations.

Suggesting that people who want clowney here are "pathetic" is deeply flawed and depressive logic.

Why would clowney sign with the Seahawks ahead of the deal he wants? Why would Seattle budge above their offer until forced to? It's pretty simple, albeit long, chess game.

He very well may sign elsewhere. Just dint think anyone can claim anything of certainty at the moment.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
morgulon1":f4kws6gr said:
hawks85":f4kws6gr said:
morgulon1":f4kws6gr said:

GO HAWKS !

Exactly.

Good luck JaVonski

Wow! Your solution to solve the issue is to re-sign Ansah, a player who proved to be utterly useless last year. A player who contributed next to nil all season. A player they spent $9M on...Ansah was more of a waste than Clowney ever was. That was a bad signing from the get go.

By the way, Clowney played injured for about half the season. His best game was the one he suffered the injury and played through it. He was the best defensive player in that game, bar none. Even with an injury, he dominated that game. Ansah didn’t do anything to that level. So if you’re going to excuse Ansah for an injury, why not same for Clowney? Clowney didn’t have a full training camp/off-season with the Seahawks. Ansah did.

hawks85

Reaction score
hawkfan68":z214t44g said:
morgulon1":z214t44g said:
hawks85":z214t44g said:
morgulon1":z214t44g said:

GO HAWKS !

Exactly.

Good luck JaVonski

Wow! Your solution to solve the issue is to re-sign Ansah, a player who proved to be utterly useless last year. A player who contributed next to nil all season. A player they spent $9M on...Ansah was more of a waste than Clowney ever was. That was a bad signing from the get go.

By the way, Clowney played injured for about half the season. His best game was the one he suffered the injury and played through it. He was the best defensive player in that game, bar none. Even with an injury, he dominated that game. Ansah didn’t do anything to that level. So if you’re going to excuse Ansah for an injury, why not same for Clowney? Clowney didn’t have a full training camp/off-season with the Seahawks. Ansah did.
Sign Ansah if he were HEALTHY. I'm tired of hearing about the training camp stuff. Clowney wasn't tearing it up in Houston either. Before Clowney was injured he didn't do much at all. I think he had 1 sack. That SF game yeah I agree it was Clowney's best game of his career. If he played a fraction of that game every game all year injured or not then I would try to resign him.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm all for resigning Ziggy on a min deal with no guarantees. Sure he wasn't good last year but if healthy he's a better player then Mayowa or Irvin. Of course Clowney or Griffin would still be my priority but if they fall through at least Ziggy has upside and you don't owe him anything if he mirrors last years performance.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, this has gone so long, I can't see Clowney getting nearly what he thinks he will. I'm kind of done even worrying about it. It if happens, great, if not, move on to another plan.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":2n721oyb said:
I'm all for resigning Ziggy on a min deal with no guarantees. Sure he wasn't good last year but if healthy he's a better player then Mayowa or Irvin. Of course Clowney or Griffin would still be my priority but if they fall through at least Ziggy has upside and you don't owe him anything if he mirrors last years performance.

You wanna bring Ziggy back on a zero guarantee full incentive cheap prove it deal? That's fine.......but this D-line still needs a playmaker, and Ziggy isn't it.

Heck, this D-line still needs two playmakers. I still have faith in John to deliver, at this point if that's not Clowney I don't care.

But Ziggy isn't the answer to what this D-line needs.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Ziggy is a well meaning, nice guy, who had been an effective player. He had his "prove it" year last year. The only thing he proved is that someone else deserves that roster spot.
My worry is that we've signed, and are depending on, some O Line guys who will fit the same description.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":10vxi721 said:
Ziggy is a well meaning, nice guy, who had been an effective player. He had his "prove it" year last year. The only thing he proved is that someone else deserves that roster spot.
My worry is that we've signed, and are depending on, some O Line guys who will fit the same description.

Dude made almost 9M last year, with 6M guaranteed.

That's not a prove it deal, that was a we gambled on a great player with a major injury returning to form, and lost.

A prove it deal is 1M guaranteed and 3-4M of incentives. He was an absolute stiff, and stole money from us last year.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
When completely healthy he's a top tier DE. The problem is he has some injury history and I think this is the reason he's not signed yet. Seattle doesn't want to give him top money only to be effective 10 games a year and a potential question mark in the post season.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yr1vkbs said:
getnasty":1yr1vkbs said:

You wanna bring Ziggy back on a zero guarantee full incentive cheap prove it deal? That's fine.......but this D-line still needs a playmaker, and Ziggy isn't it.

Heck, this D-line still needs two playmakers. I still have faith in John to deliver, at this point if that's not Clowney I don't care.

But Ziggy isn't the answer to what this D-line needs.

No disagreement there, i'm strictly talking depth in a pinch.