Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

HawkGA

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1bi7c60t said:

If somebody came and offered me a 25% raise I'd imagine it would be hard to pass up. But If they wanted me to pack up an move my family I'd pass. No offense to anyone but I'd quickly pass on 100%-150% salary increases in Cleveland, Detroit, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and many others.

Money is not the end all be all, happiness is and the difference between 12 mil and 15 mil isn't really a significant change to someones lifestyle other than their work environment and place of residence.

What's wrong with Oklahoma? That 100-150% raise in Seattle would be like a 200-250% raise in Oklahoma based on the cost of living plus less crazy people than in Western Washington :D[/quote]

I lived in Abilene TX for 4 years, drove through Oklahoma a number of times. That part of the country has nothing to offer me. Also I got a speeding ticket in Lawson and OKC stole our Sonics.[/quote]

Eastern OK seems pretty decent, but Western OK gives a whole new meaning to suck.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3riibbww said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GamecockSplash/status/1241346194959405057[/tweet]
I'm telling you man, that 5 part history of the AFL series I posted the link to in the NFL Forum is really, really excellent.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Not always so easy to quantify, but in the end we are a better team with Clowney than without him.

TAB420

Reaction score
Suh is off the table. Looks like we are waiting around again watching all the DEs sign elsewhere.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TAB420":3rdy2ety said:
Suh is off the table. Looks like we are waiting around again watching all the DEs sign elsewhere.

Suh hasn't had a 10 sack season since 2010. 8M? No thanks.

We've had what, three chances now to go after Suh since he left the Lions, so my guess is John and Pete aren't enamored with his skill set or penchant to take plays off and be a complete jackass for his price tag.

OKHawksfan

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2027pqd0 said:

If somebody came and offered me a 25% raise I'd imagine it would be hard to pass up. But If they wanted me to pack up an move my family I'd pass. No offense to anyone but I'd quickly pass on 100%-150% salary increases in Cleveland, Detroit, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and many others.

Money is not the end all be all, happiness is and the difference between 12 mil and 15 mil isn't really a significant change to someones lifestyle other than their work environment and place of residence.

What's wrong with Oklahoma? That 100-150% raise in Seattle would be like a 200-250% raise in Oklahoma based on the cost of living plus less crazy people than in Western Washington :D[/quote]

I lived in Abilene TX for 4 years, drove through Oklahoma a number of times. That part of the country has nothing to offer me. Also I got a speeding ticket in Lawson and OKC stole our Sonics.[/quote]

Well, get the Thunder thing. I still won't root for them. But OKC has a pretty dedicated Seahawker group!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":399oslis said:
TAB420":399oslis said:

We've had what, three chances now to go after Suh since he left the Lions, so my guess is John and Pete aren't enamored with his skill set or penchant to take plays off and be a complete jackass for his price tag.

Furthermore, Suh is not a DE or edge rusher. He's a DT. He's definitely not a need from that point.

TAB420

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":344y9d8x said:
TAB420":344y9d8x said:

When was the last time Clowney had 10 sacks? I get what you guys are saying, I really do. I'm just afraid all this waiting is going to cost us a few plan B options. And in the end, Clowney signs elsewhere.

massari

Reaction score
Never seen this before.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1194304880539627520[/tweet]

getnasty

Reaction score
We went the whole offseason with Ziggy Ansah being our best pass rusher going into 2019 until we traded for Clowney in late Aug. Let me repeat that we traded for Clowney in late Aug. last year. Stay calm people if we don't land Clowney which i beleive we will, they have a plan in place to address the pass rush in other ways.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
massari":2k7cuit0 said:
Never seen this before.

He absolutely took that game over.

getnasty

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2fky8s5x said:
massari":2fky8s5x said:
Never seen this before.

He absolutely took that game over.

He did! If that's what you saw week in and week out he would have got at least 20 million a year

Largent80

Reaction score
I actually do like Okwara and Zuniga, but rookies rarely flash at DE.
Gotta admit I'm a little bit going wtf with the Clowney situation right now, just get it done.

Hendo66

Reaction score
I know i know, PC/JS know what they are doing. But i am amazed they haven't locked up one or the other of Clowney or Griffen by now. No matter how you want to spin it, it will seriously suck if they lose out on both. Still hoping to get both but need at least one right?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It def. is surprising it has taken this long for Clowney OR Griffen to sign. Then again, the entire league has still not signed either guy. Clearly not being able to see guys in person has had an impact on things. But, I'm sure either guy expected to last more than a few days in FA.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":32mzdam4 said:
I actually do like Okwara and Zuniga, but rookies rarely flash at DE.
Gotta admit I'm a little bit going wtf with the Clowney situation right now, just get it done.

Agreed. Rookie DE's tend to underperform fairly mightily as rookies. They are very much like WRs in that regard. Even ones that end up good, do so on year two or later.

As for Clowney -- currently I don't see the lack of signing urgency to be otherwise detrimental. That only assumes that we eventually do resign him. The ancillary damage has already been done in not signing him (leaving us with little to no alternatives should we fail). Right now it's Clowney or the UFA period is a complete bust.

I'd include the potential trade/sign of Ngakoue as a fall back in that assessment. There would be no comp pick coming back (as it stands now) and we would in essence be trading Clowney, our 2020 3rd round pick, and whatever pick we need to satisfy Jacksonville for Ngakoue on a one year basis.

Honestly at this point, it seems pennywise and poundfoolish. If we're at 18M/year -- what kind of complete Ifedi level magoo journeyman can you add to this roster for a mere 1.5M extra? The only reason to be stingy here, is that we expect we're going to resign some guys in UFA next year where that 1.5M starts to really come into play (Dunbar, Ford and Carson). The list of guys we need to replace next year is kind of steep:

Hollister
McDougald
Hunt
Pocic
Griffin
Turner

We have all of our OC depth and all of our TE depth as UFA next year. Some of those guys (Dickson/Britt) likely are cut this year already. But we are perilously thin at those two positions (one deep) next year. We might have as many as 7 UFAs we either need to try to retain, or to pre draft their replacements this year.

warden

Reaction score
Teams are unable to give any players physicals so Griffen signing will be on hold. This does however give us an advantage on Clowney for we do have better knowledge on his health then any other team