Rumor - Jadeveon Clowney to Seahawks?

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised not to see a topic on the subject (unless I missed it). I'm not sure who the article is referring to (Seahawks fans who think it's too risky)? But I'd imagine there's a few on this forum who fit the profile.

So my question would be, if you're against this trade (even if it amounts to a 1 year lease), why? Or, is the "1 year lease" the main reason? Hypothetically, lets call it (somewhere in the neighborhood of) a 2nd rounder in next years draft to make this happen.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/684935/m ... too-risky/

OP
OP
O

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
Thanks. I definitely missed that.

Some interesting perspective... I get the notion that it doesn't make a ton of sense to pick up Clowney after unloading Clark. What is somewhat surprising to me is the sentiment that Clark is better than Clowney. I know Clark was / is a beast. I got to watch him. In Clowney's case, I remember all the hype coming out of College. I also remember him being hampered by injury fairly early on... The article eludes to a player who has played up to the hype....

But then, I suppose Seahawks fans should be wary of any hyped player trade prospects at this point. Historically, those often don't seem to work out for this team.

McGruff

Reaction score
Clowney is the Andrew Luck of defenders.

All college hype, limited pro production hampered by injuries.

IMO Clark is the better player, better fit, better culture bearer, and we were dumb to let him go.

Trading for Clowney would be doubling down on dumb. You dont trade your guy, and then give away most of what you got to get an outside guy to replace him.

Seafan

Reaction score
Would you trade Jamarco Jones and a 3rd for a one year rental that could win you the division and put you on a serious road to the Super Bowl?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The knock on Clowney has been his lack of drive and motor. Pete is looking for players that LOVE football, not those that play the game because they're pretty good at it.

Pass.

chris98251

Reaction score
People need to understand the difference between Talk Show speculation and Maddenisque spit balling and rumors with foundation from teams and front offices.

Chawker

Reaction score
Well, I say its a possibility! With Ziggy and Collier both out at this time (although will be back soon) Clowney would be big help until reed return.

I heard that the Texan are in need of secondary help and OL and depth at Rb spot. I'm thinking that it would take a second rounder and a player, which might be a opportunity to dump a over paid player which would make a trade more feasible for us, plus John likes stuff like this.

knownone

Reaction score
McGruff":19wq9181 said:

IMO Clark is the better player, better fit, better culture bearer, and we were dumb to let him go.

Trading for Clowney would be doubling down on dumb. You dont trade your guy, and then give away most of what you got to get an outside guy to replace him.
I agree with your overall point. I don't think it makes any sense to trade for Clowney after trading Clark. However, I don't think Clowney's been hampered by injuries or that he's the product of college hype. He's missed 3 games in the last 3 years while playing at or near a all-pro level. It's true, Clowney hasn't proven he can be the elite pass rusher he was pegged to be out of college, but he's second only to Mack in terms of scheme versatility and pass rush production. The man has played every linebacker position, defensive end, and rushed inside on passing downs.

Again... I don't think we should trade for him. I just don't think (some of) the criticism of him is fair.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that if we were to trade for Clowney and fail to resign him next spring, we could be in line for a compensatory pick, perhaps as high as a 3rd rounder. That would somewhat mitigate what it would take to get him here.

Also, there's not going to be a lot of teams interested in a rent-a-player. Certainly teams like the Redskins or Dolphins who don't figure to be SB contenders aren't going to be in the market. With fewer teams interested, the price might be lower than we expect.

We have a ton of draft picks next year, so I don't see a picks-for-player deal being a huge risk. If Ziggy stays healthy and returns to form, Reed comes back off suspension, toss in Clowney and all of a sudden, what was once a perceived weakness becomes one of the strongest pass rushes in the league. Big 'if's' for sure.

nanomoz

Reaction score

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
McGruff":1lu30m4l said:

Clark was better at sacks in last 3 years with 8 more sacks in 3 more games. Clowney was way better at run defense and TFL. (53 to 31)

Basis4day

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1ugtxyox said:
Not a rumor...just wild speculation.

Yeah, not seeing any chatter re: hawks talking to Texans. It’s just a what if.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
A built in advantage the Seahawks have is Duane Brown. He was Clowneys teammate and went against him in practice. He would be the one that could accurately compare Clooney to Clark.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
McGruff":8twog1d5 said:
Did anyone call Clowney a bust?

Yes. 6th post of this thread :"Not happening. Not worth the risk. Agree as above an injury bust like Luck"

I personally am not sure how I feel about the possibilty. I see both sides....but man D-line is so important and we are so thin there right now. Sure is tempting...even if the rationale against it is legit in many ways.