Russel Trademarked 'Let Wilson Cook'

LegendKiller

Reaction score
RCATES":do51je5u said:
Spin Doctor":do51je5u said:
The problem is Carroll's hair brained offensive scheme hasn't set up Wilson to cook. I really want to see what he can do in a more modern NFL offense. I hope Shane Waldron is allowed to do his thing here with minimal interference but I fear that won't be the case.

Lol

Its Pete's fault Russ can't make reads and have success against two-deep safety look? His height has become a liability now that he doesn't have the legs.

Height has nothing to do with it. Wasn't a problem for Brees, Flutie, Kyler Murray or any other "short" QB. Maybe it has something to do with the head coach and offensive coordinator not being able to adjust to a two deep safety look. Having "legs" isn't a requirement in the NFL for success. It's an added bonus to be elusive. Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees, Manning aren't the elusive mobile QBs you seem to be alluding to, but they all have had great protection while being in the pocket.

Accept it for what it is. Since Carroll (and to a degree Schneider) have taken over the organization, they've drafted poorly with the exception of 1 year, don't believe in investing in an o-line and Carroll in particular refuses to adapt or change his scheme, in-game play calling...pretty much everything.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That picture is a good example of the root of the problem.

Pete and Russ have different philosophies for winning. In a way, both are right.

Both philosophies were honed where the bulk of their football lived in and since those are decades apart, they differ.

The root of the problem is Pete's philosophy for winning. His roster does not match that philosophy. And frankly, the rules of the game don't either. Pete can do incredible things with a great run game, an efficient and accurate QB that does well under pressure, and a great defense. That ain't his roster.

He has the pieces of a great offense. That is the strength. Yet he doggedly leads with his weakness.

Both Carroll and Russ are convinced of their infallibility. They each think they are the reason for the winning. And would win more if the other would just get in line. I don't see that as resolvable. But Carroll seems more expendable than Wilson because Wilson likely wins without Carroll. I don't think Carroll can win without Wilson.

(The sad part is Russ is relatively cheap as stud QBs go. After a contract, the QB takes such a huge % of the cap it becomes impossible to field a SB team against a team with a cheap young QB and great defense. But you generally get one year in 3-4 when the relative % drops and you can make a run. See the Saints as an example, even though they were screwed out of their run by the refs.

In normal circumstances, this might have been the year. Honestly, it should have been last year but for the coaching staff, mainly Norton & Carroll. That was the closest thing to a paved path we will likely ever see.

But now?

With the shedding cap, our QB's crew taking shots at our coach, and the FO constantly dropping backstabbing articles on their QB to the press? Good luck. If we could keep Carson somehow and lock Carroll in a closet on gameday - maybe we could make a run but overcoming Norton is rough.)

88&82

Reaction score
Gonna see a lot more cover 2 in the future. Not sure how the new OC will deal with it.

OP
OP

5thgen

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1zgghetq said:

Pete and Russ have different philosophies for winning. In a way, both are right.

Both philosophies were honed where the bulk of their football lived in and since those are decades apart, they differ.

The root of the problem is Pete's philosophy for winning. His roster does not match that philosophy. And frankly, the rules of the game don't either. Pete can do incredible things with a great run game, an efficient and accurate QB that does well under pressure, and a great defense. That ain't his roster.

He has the pieces of a great offense. That is the strength. Yet he doggedly leads with his weakness.

Both Carroll and Russ are convinced of their infallibility. They each think they are the reason for the winning. And would win more if the other would just get in line. I don't see that as resolvable. But Carroll seems more expendable than Wilson because Wilson likely wins without Carroll. I don't think Carroll can win without Wilson.

(The sad part is Russ is relatively cheap as stud QBs go. After a contract, the QB takes such a huge % of the cap it becomes impossible to field a SB team against a team with a cheap young QB and great defense. But you generally get one year in 3-4 when the relative % drops and you can make a run. See the Saints as an example, even though they were screwed out of their run by the refs.

In normal circumstances, this might have been the year. Honestly, it should have been last year but for the coaching staff, mainly Norton & Carroll. That was the closest thing to a paved path we will likely ever see.

But now?

With the shedding cap, our QB's crew taking shots at our coach, and the FO constantly dropping backstabbing articles on their QB to the press? Good luck. If we could keep Carson somehow and lock Carroll in a closet on gameday - maybe we could make a run but overcoming Norton is rough.)

Can't blame it all on Carroll. Russ was shit playing with good teams even when he was "cooking".

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
5thgen":gfl8l81r said:
TwistedHusky":gfl8l81r said:

But now?

Can't blame it all on Carroll. Russ was $h!t playing with good teams even when he was "cooking".
Consider this, Mahommes put up MVP like numbers 2/3 of the years he's started for KC. In that time he's dismantled some very good defenses. In the Super Bowl Andy Reid goes into the game with a Pete Carrollesc style passing attack. What happens? He looks very pedestrian against the Tampa 2 and a strong pass rush, where does that look familiar?

Mahommes looked awfully a lot like Russell Wilson in that game in the second half of the season. What happened? Pass rush and an offense playing directly into the strength of the tampa 2 defense. During the second half of the season Russell Wilson was one of the most pressured QB's in the NFL. Despite this we called an offense that went with long 7 step drops, deep crossing routes. We were playing into the strength of the opposing defense, that my friend is on Carroll.

Did Wilson make mistakes? Absolutely, you know what causes mistakes? Being sacked and pressured a ton. I noticed in the second half of the season his throwing mechanics degraded, and his footwork looked messed up. I saw a QB that looked shell shocked, a QB that was hearing the footsteps of the opposing D-Line. That combined with an offense that has the primary reads being long, deep shots against tampa 2 and it is a recipe for disaster for any QB.

That is Carroll's fault.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carroll has a system that works.

But it works because it wins games against at least the bottom half of the league.

Then he has a QB that can magic up 2-3 wins a year.

You now went from a team that is basically .500 to 10-11, maybe 9-10 because of that one weird loss we always have.

The problem is it does not work in the playoffs.

So you have to play a brand of football in the playoffs you barely play in the regular season. Usually after halftime, because our coaches refuse to admit the gameplan sucks until they have no choice. Suddenly running an offense you rarely execute and normally do not use? Shockingly you struggle at it.

Wilson is also stuck with the offense he is allowed to run. Part of that other struggle is that his offense sucks.

Then people want to say it sucks because he cannot throw to the middle of the field.

Weirdly, he had no problem throwing in the middle of the field when he was a rookie or his first few years. I guarantee if he did, when he was throwing all those INTs his first year - people would have used that excuse then to argue we have to keep whatshisname as the starting QB.

I seem to remember his making quick throws that year because we kept getting into 3rd down. He had to covert for us regularly. If he isn't throwing over the middle now, it is either he is not supposed to or he won't. But it isn't that he can't.

OP
OP

5thgen

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3kgh0kus said:
5thgen":3kgh0kus said:
TwistedHusky":3kgh0kus said:

But now?

Can't blame it all on Carroll. Russ was $h!t playing with good teams even when he was "cooking".
Consider this, Mahommes put up MVP like numbers 2/3 of the years he's started for KC. In that time he's dismantled some very good defenses. In the Super Bowl Andy Reid goes into the game with a Pete Carrollesc style passing attack. What happens? He looks very pedestrian against the Tampa 2 and a strong pass rush, where does that look familiar?

Mahommes looked awfully a lot like Russell Wilson in that game in the second half of the season. What happened? Pass rush and an offense playing directly into the strength of the tampa 2 defense. During the second half of the season Russell Wilson was one of the most pressured QB's in the NFL. Despite this we called an offense that went with long 7 step drops, deep crossing routes. We were playing into the strength of the opposing defense, that my friend is on Carroll.

Did Wilson make mistakes? Absolutely, you know what causes mistakes? Being sacked and pressured a ton. I noticed in the second half of the season his throwing mechanics degraded, and his footwork looked messed up. I saw a QB that looked shell shocked, a QB that was hearing the footsteps of the opposing D-Line. That combined with an offense that has the primary reads being long, deep shots against tampa 2 and it is a recipe for disaster for any QB.

That is Carroll's fault.

I thought mahomes played extremely well in the SB. There were monumental dropped passes throughout the game that could have easily swung momentums. Not his fault if he places balls on receivers and TE's hands/helmet and they unable to catch.

John63

Reaction score
5thgen":25bhb3zn said:
Spin Doctor":25bhb3zn said:
5thgen":25bhb3zn said:
TwistedHusky":25bhb3zn said:

But now?

That is Carroll's fault.

I thought mahomes played extremely well in the SB. There were monumental dropped passes throughout the game that could have easily swung momentums. Not his fault if he places balls on receivers and TE's hands/helmet and they unable to catch.

Not Wilson's fault we were top 5 in dropped passes, or that half his ints were off receivers hands either, or that 6 tds were dropped.

toffee

Reaction score
RCATES":1ipwpnb5 said:
Spin Doctor":1ipwpnb5 said:
The problem is Carroll's hair brained offensive scheme hasn't set up Wilson to cook. I really want to see what he can do in a more modern NFL offense. I hope Shane Waldron is allowed to do his thing here with minimal interference but I fear that won't be the case.

Lol

Its Pete's fault Russ can't make reads and have success against two-deep safety look? His height has become a liability now that he doesn't have the legs.
Of course it's Pete fault, no doubt about it. For Pete is the battle cry on dot net, year after year.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

toffee

Reaction score
John63":9nakt2tw said:
5thgen":9nakt2tw said:
Spin Doctor":9nakt2tw said:
5thgen":9nakt2tw said:

That is Carroll's fault.

Not Wilson's fault we were top 5 in dropped passes, or that half his ints were off receivers hands either, or that 6 tds were dropped.
Dropped passes, totally Pete's fault.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk