Russell Wilson has declared war on the Seahawks

pinksheets

Reaction score
I wonder where Schneider stands in this divide. With Pete being the final decision maker, is he playing it safe and cautiously lining up behind his boss? Is he enthusiastically doing so?

Or is he in disagreement and thinking Pete would be driving us off a cliff by not giving Russ what he wants? If so, what's he going to do about it?

The Hawks are in a weird place with the combination of an all powerful HC who outranks the GM AND absent ownership in the years after Allen's death.

If JS isn't aligned with Pete on this, I hope he's putting in a call to Jody and saying "you need to get involved or this franchise is going down the tubes."

Russ was his guy, after all.

GaiusMarius

Reaction score
Russell Wilson's agent has responded, at least some to ESPN. A couple of key takeaways...

1. Wilson is not demanding a trade.
Interesting, no one has reported that he was. And also notice how that does NOT mean he has not asked for one or broached the possibility of one. A very PR response here.

2. The only teams Wilson would consider would be... Dallas, New Orleans, Las Vegas and Chicago.
Also interesting. That's a NFC-heavy list and one with teams that do not have as many draft picks as say Miami. It almost feels like a list you put together for a trade not to happen this year. I guess New Orleans is a contender.

3. For those saying "nothing to see here", I would stop. This doesn't mean that Wilson will be traded, but acting like there's not something going on is increasingly a stretch.

We have an unhappy start QB. We'll see if the Seahawks can make him happy. :p

Full article on ESPN.

massari

Reaction score
If the Seahawks had a competent owner like Paul Allen, this would probably be resolved by now.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
massari":1jrnzpnz said:
If the Seahawks had a competent owner like Paul Allen, this would probably be resolved by now.

I would argue the Seahawks have no owner right now.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
sdog1981":2900w5zg said:
massari":2900w5zg said:

You're also arguing that Russell Wilson has declared war on his own team, so... not sure I wanna follow that one.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2l3h1fhr said:
sdog1981":2l3h1fhr said:
massari":2l3h1fhr said:

You're also arguing that Russell Wilson has declared war on his own team, so... not sure I wanna follow that one.

Problem is Wilsn has nto declared war on anyone, thuis is just sensationalism for clicks

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":18f90huf said:
sdog1981":18f90huf said:
massari":18f90huf said:

The post is a little hyperbolic, I will admit that.

What am I supposed to think when two stories that are clearly from the Wilson camp come out at the same time in two different publications on the same day. That sounds like a coordinated PR plan.

I am not saying he wants out, however, it appears to be more of a warning that Wilson is not happy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1kylfcno said:
Thank God for "Unnamed Sources". And PFT. Super reliable, I am sure everything is dead accurate.

There's 5 minutes of my life I won't get back.

:pukeface:

My exact thoughts as well.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
chris98251":2ed8zkjq said:
Didn't used to be, they never ran stories of this nature without a credible source on the record, Journalism used to be a respected profession. Hell I can be a unnamed source and post a false rumor on a webpage or tweet.
This is simply not true and it's not at all how unnamed sources work. The reason why stories like this used to not run isn't because they didn't use unnamed sources it's because this isn't how pro sports rosters worked and there wasn't interest in it. It's got nothing to do with the unnamed sources... they just didn't run articles like this because this kind of thing wasn't a thing. (I'm referring to the actual reporting here, not the Clickbait takes by like Bleacher Report and others who simply turn actual reporting into a bite sized click bait.)

Journalism (in general) has used unnamed sources FOREVER and the fact that a source is unnamed doesn't mean they are unknown. It just means the person won't agree to talk to the journalist if there name is printed and the journalist has agreed not to use the sources name in order to have the interview.

The problem isn't that these sources don't know things. Most of the respectable/high level reporting (such as theathletic, ESPN, etc.) are only going to use unnamed sources that know things (they wouldn't bother protecting the identity of someone who isn't in the loop somehow because they aren't going to rely on that person for info in the future)... the problem is that since we don't know the source, we can't evaluate what their angle is.

Obviously, folks on the inside of Russ's circle and folks on the inside of Pete's circle and folks on the inside of Seahawks management all have different views of the same situation. It doesn't mean they are wrong, just their view is skewed and the info they choose to share is going to be push their sides' narrative.

There is too much smoke here for something to NOT be going on. Whether it's simply a power struggle for offensive philosophy or two sides legitimately trying to get leverage over possible departure scenarios for Russ, Pete, both, etc. is something we don't know and nobody has come out and said it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This stuff is clearly leaking from Wilson's camp.

Which means it comes from Wilson.

Whether it is true or not is immaterial because his perception is what matters here.

If we want to use the Forest analogy since it keeps getting used in all the Seahawks Hype videos:

This started as a brush fire. The Seahawks ignored it.

It then grew bigger and jumped the road.

It is going to burn its way through Seahawk forest.

It is then headed for the housing development that is the Seahawk Fan Base. A lot of that is going to get burned down the moment the flames hit it.

The Seahawks had plenty of smoke and warnings. Starting LAST YEAR. They ignored it. More accurately Pete thought he was in control and this was all his decision.

Well, good luck. Now the fire is out of control.

There was a lot of 'nothing to see here' whistling past the graveyard when this was CLEARLY a coordinated PR campaign even last year. Then started this year with the Dan Patrick interview, including a question that was clearly fed to Dan Patrick. Finally, a barrage of different sports talk and news outlets almost parroting the narrative from Wilson's perspective.

This was a campaign. Clearly evident. The Seahawks not only chose not to stop it, they decided to flex their muscles a bit too with the idiotic '3 1st rounders' leak. Now they are rapidly screwed. None of the good trade partners are in Wilson's list, on purpose.

Wilson will play one more uneventful year here and then he will be traded. If he even makes that other year.

Then this entire winning tradition that Pete built leveraging Wilson's ability will turn to ashes.

xray

Reaction score
This is Wilson vs Carroll . In most cases a HOF QB wins this battle , but Carroll has far to much power . The Hawks may may have a divided unhappy locker room this season . That never seems to have good results on the field .

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":x74g8b2e said:
This stuff is clearly leaking from Wilson's camp.

Which means it comes from Wilson.

Whether it is true or not is immaterial because his perception is what matters here.

If we want to use the Forest analogy since it keeps getting used in all the Seahawks Hype videos:

This started as a brush fire. The Seahawks ignored it.

It then grew bigger and jumped the road.

It is going to burn its way through Seahawk forest.

It is then headed for the housing development that is the Seahawk Fan Base. A lot of that is going to get burned down the moment the flames hit it.

The Seahawks had plenty of smoke and warnings. Starting LAST YEAR. They ignored it. More accurately Pete thought he was in control and this was all his decision.

Well, good luck. Now the fire is out of control.

There was a lot of 'nothing to see here' whistling past the graveyard when this was CLEARLY a coordinated PR campaign even last year. Then started this year with the Dan Patrick interview, including a question that was clearly fed to Dan Patrick. Finally, a barrage of different sports talk and news outlets almost parroting the narrative from Wilson's perspective.

This was a campaign. Clearly evident. The Seahawks not only chose not to stop it, they decided to flex their muscles a bit too with the idiotic '3 1st rounders' leak. Now they are rapidly screwed. None of the good trade partners are in Wilson's list, on purpose.

Wilson will play one more uneventful year here and then he will be traded. If he even makes that other year.

Then this entire winning tradition that Pete built leveraging Wilson's ability will turn to ashes.

It’s a mess everyone is planting stories except Pete & John, not saying Pete & John are above it just saying it hasn’t made sense for them to do it yet. Guarantee you Miami & NY will plant stories and the most recent sounds a lot like they did it.

Mizak

Reaction score
xray":1xwpz0al said:
This is Wilson vs Carroll . In most cases a HOF QB wins this battle , but Carroll has far to much power . The Hawks may may have a divided unhappy locker room this season . That never seems to have good results on the field .

AFAIK, DK is on Wilson’s side.

Also, anyone have a link to the Athletic article without the paywall behind it?

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
xray":3l3e5x9k said:

Russ isn’t a HOF QB yet!! Seahawk franchise has already put their cards on the table Pete Carroll won RW lost!

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Mizak":18lbeov9 said:
xray":18lbeov9 said:

AFAIK, DK is on Wilson’s side.

Also, anyone have a link to the Athletic article without the paywall behind it?

Trade DK in 2022 for 2 1st round picks problem solved!

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
sdog1981":14l87yoo said:
Maelstrom787":14l87yoo said:
sdog1981":14l87yoo said:
massari":14l87yoo said:

The post is a little hyperbolic, I will admit that.

What am I supposed to think when two stories that are clearly from the Wilson camp come out at the same time in two different publications on the same day. That sounds like a coordinated PR plan.

I am not saying he wants out, however, it appears to be more of a warning that Wilson is not happy.

Or it could break out into a mud slinging war like it has between fans. But fans are divided into 2 camps. The RW ordeal could break into 3,4,5 different camps slinging crap back & forth.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Can you all imagine if RW went to the Niners...

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
xray":2wzmmy8q said:
49ers moved on from Joe Montana and Patriots just let go of Tom Brady (who just won ANOTHER Super Bowl). I don't buy the premise that HOF QBs win this battle in 'most cases'.

That said, I don't think we win with Russ OR Pete completely winning this battle. I don't think Russ's plans for our offense are going to be broad enough to think outside of what he thinks will get him MVP votes (I'm sure he thinks that philosophy will be the same as the one to get us the most wins, as many great athletes do, but I don't agree) and Pete's offensive strategy isn't much better than hoping and praying.

We need a legit OC (is our new guy the guy for that? I don't know) who is given actual reins to put the best possible offensive plan out on the field while still respecting the Pete Carroll philosophy of controlling tempo and the ball but not being handicapped by Pete's meddling... but also not being beholden to the nebulous concept of 'letting Russ cook'.

Rat

Reaction score
Dallas would be interesting. Could get a bounty from them and then sign Dak. Get much younger for only a small downgrade in the present.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":3vtktill said:
xray":3vtktill said:
49ers moved on from Joe Montana and Patriots just let go of Tom Brady (who just won ANOTHER Super Bowl). I don't buy the premise that HOF QBs win this battle in 'most cases'.

That said, I don't think we win with Russ OR Pete completely winning this battle. I don't think Russ's plans for our offense are going to be broad enough to think outside of what he thinks will get him MVP votes (I'm sure he thinks that philosophy will be the same as the one to get us the most wins, as many great athletes do, but I don't agree) and Pete's offensive strategy isn't much better than hoping and praying.

We need a legit OC (is our new guy the guy for that? I don't know) who is given actual reins to put the best possible offensive plan out on the field while still respecting the Pete Carroll philosophy of controlling tempo and the ball but not being handicapped by Pete's meddling... but also not being beholden to the nebulous concept of 'letting Russ cook'.

There is no such thing as meeting all of those needs. And the star athlete usually wins the battle, most of the time.

49ers moved on from Joe Montana but had Steve Young waiting in the wings. Another HOF. Good luck getting that lucky.

The Patriots may never find another QB as great as Brady for some times.

Ultimately, this comes down to what you think of Wilson. I, and others around the league thinks he's a great Quarterback. While we're here nitpicking at him, others are clamoring for him. Most fans I'm seeing, at least on social media...would love to have him and would likely worship him far more than we do here in Seattle. Which has always been 50/50 on Russ love.

What Russ is saying, is that he's a great QB and should be treated like one. That means respect, that means influence, that means not looking at him condescendingly as Pete apparently has. And Russ is clearly confident enough in his abilities, that he's saying if Pete, or others don't respect him, watch what he can do. Whichever team he goes to will sell out jerseys, and get more primetime games. Guaranteed. Russ will also benefit from getting more media recognition and thus, respect for his play. Which he lacks being in South Alaska.