Seahawks request interview with Joe Whitt Jr.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1483975170347831297[/tweet]
.................................... requesting interviews is just the first step :biggthumpup:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They are looking at a number of potential candidates. This is very good. I do see a pattern with those they have reached out to for interview requests. All of them seem to have experience working with defensive backs/secondary - Donatell, Desai, and now Whitt Jr.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I see a big future for nickle and dime personnel groups.

sutz

Reaction score
hawkfan68":k3f9glyr said:
They are looking at a number of potential candidates. This is very good. I do see a pattern with those they have reached out to for interview requests. All of them seem to have experience working with defensive backs/secondary - Donatell, Desai, and now Whitt Jr.
Well, Pete has always been a DB kind of guy. :mrgreen:

toffee

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ggwrg5t said:

All have a history of working and developing probowl safeties.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":3vlxkrwb said:
hawkfan68":3vlxkrwb said:

That's awesome. Well they will be working with two pro bowl safeties with Adams and Diggs (hopefully he is re-signed). Hopefully they can develop Blair and Brown into pro-bowlers too.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
sutz":1vsp88uf said:
hawkfan68":1vsp88uf said:
Well, Pete has always been a DB kind of guy. :mrgreen:

Good point :D

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect we will see them look at more candidates.

Many here will be critical of Pete and allege his biases against any younger candidates as their biases show through. I suspect they will be shown to be just wrong.

All in all this is an important team future direction or correcting decision, which no doubt has owner oversight and will be carefully made. The pass D has been historically bad for the past few seasons, undoubtedly this has been a concern of the coaching staff but little genuine change of direction has been observed savefor late season improvement indicating the staff was trying to fix it but had few new ideas. It’s clear that is exactly what they are looking to find.

We will all no doubt watch with interest. I believe we will see a different D next season. I genuinely hope they get it right.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I wonder if Dan Quinn's connection has anything to do with this interview?

James in PA

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":oaozm979 said:
I wonder if Dan Quinn's connection has anything to do with this interview?
I read that DQ is likely to get another HC gig (e.g. Denver) and would like for Whitt to be part of his staff. Whitt has a connection to John Schneider, as they were both with GB at the same time.

I'm sure this is going to be a tough choice. These all sound like good candidates, but they all have their pros and cons. In other words, I'm at my Whitt's end! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":n2gli3pe said:
toffee":n2gli3pe said:
hawkfan68":n2gli3pe said:

That's awesome. Well they will be working with two pro bowl safeties with Adams and Diggs (hopefully he is re-signed). Hopefully they can develop Blair and Brown into pro-bowlers too.

NFL trends may be influential on their current search for the next defensive coordinator. The de-emphasis of the full back position and I back formations have had an effect on linebackers. Base defenses no longer dominate as the most frequently deployed personnel group. Two linebackers instead of three is more commonly seen in Seattle's defensive deployments. Candidates with a background of teaching defensive backs would seem to be a better contemporary choice than linebacker coaches. That would match up with current football trends.

Going forward and more often than not, the db room will be the biggest room and position group on defense.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":32974096 said:
We will all no doubt watch with interest. I believe we will see a different D next season. I genuinely hope they get it right.

With a different D that gets the job done from the start instead of halfway through the season, and with Waldron's O coming into it's own, I'm looking forward to a *much* better season this year!

ivotuk

Reaction score
In each of the past three seasons, Whitt has been the defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator for the Browns, Falcons and now the Cowboys.

Working under former Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, he spent the 2021 campaign spearheading a Dallas secondary that led the NFL in interceptions (26) and helping develop cornerback Trevon Diggs, who accounted for 11 of those picks, into a first-team All-Pro selection. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/re ... or-opening

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
ivotuk":x3sqadmr said:
In each of the past three seasons, Whitt has been the defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator for the Browns, Falcons and now the Cowboys.

Working under former Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, he spent the 2021 campaign spearheading a Dallas secondary that led the NFL in interceptions (26) and helping develop cornerback Trevon Diggs, who accounted for 11 of those picks, into a first-team All-Pro selection. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/re ... or-opening

I like hearing about that kind of background. And, he is well traveled and informed.

Thanks for posting! :2thumbs:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Jville":1jd92tku said:
hawkfan68":1jd92tku said:
toffee":1jd92tku said:
hawkfan68":1jd92tku said:

NFL trends may be influential on their current search for the next defensive coordinator. The de-emphasis of the full back position and I back formations have had an effect on linebackers. Base defenses no longer dominate as the most frequently deployed personnel group. Two linebackers instead of three is more commonly seen in Seattle's defensive deployments. Candidates with a background of teaching defensive backs would seem to be a better contemporary choice than linebacker coaches. That would match up with current football trends.

Going forward and more often than not, the db room will be the biggest room and position group on defense.
Great points.

sutz

Reaction score
Was out driving around and heard Jake & Stacy interview a reporter from Dallas about Whitt. Had a lot of good things to say. Would be an interesting choice, and like how people have been discussing, with Pete's philosophy of back to front defense, he has the experience.