Seattle Defense Top 10

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because apparently, it only applies to the Hawks :?

The same Hawks who happen to be currently a 5 point favorite this Sunday.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The test is coming.

To this point, the defense (recently) has been doing acceptably versus some fairly terrible offenses.

Good defenses will stop bad offenses though.

However, bad offenses stop themselves or make it easier for others to stop them too.

The WFT has a fairly bad offense. We WILL need the defense to be effective in the next games because their defense is going to make it very hard on our offense.

So let us hope this is a sign that our defense has gotten better rather than just feasting on substandard offenses or terrible QBs.

We need the defense to good because we have no choice but to win those last 3 games or get right back on the merrygoround as the wild card.

I am very uncomfortable with how Pete is going to approach the WFT team because he does not like to adjust/adapt to the other team. I have no doubt we won't scheme much to put an offense in place to protect Russ and keep that DL from getting to our QB. So we WILL need the defense to be good enough.

To say nothing of what it is going to take to beat the Rams.

I think Norton has done little to cement confidence in him as a DC, but this would be a good 3 game stretch to demonstrate that he can actually be competent and effective. I would be happy to be wrong about him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hoping they continue to pound the rock. And more importantly, quick passing game. Russ was a LOT better on taking what the defense was giving him. Check downs etc. Makes this offense a hell of a lot more dangerous and balanced imo. And against a very good D Line, the quick passing game can counter it.
A lack of adjustments has been an issue many times this season for this coaching staff. Hopefully they are on it from the get.
That being said, the Hawks are 5 point favorites for a reason.

LTH

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":32yq54au said:
LTH":32yq54au said:
pittpnthrs":32yq54au said:
Are we talking about the same defense that just gave up 135 rushing yards to Wayne Gallman and couldnt get off the field when they had to in the 4th? Just curious.

yep... we are talking about THAT D right there

There has been continuing consistent improvement on this D... they aren't done working it out but they are getting better they are starting to gel and they have a legitimate chance to be a one of the best D units in the league over the next 4 games... the Rams and 49er game will be the big games to tell how good they are before the playoffs....

they put the O in position to win the game..

LTH

A legitimate chance to be one of the leagues best units over the next 4 games? Lol, come on man. Nobody really believes that except for you.

I KNOW!!! that's the beauty of the whole thing... when it happens I'm going to look like I'm brilliant.... Sutz and Soulfish will have to peel me off the ceiling...

Ready guys? GO!

LMAO!!!

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with hope. I think middle of the road is where they end up at the end of the regular season, and that would be a massive improvement from earlier in the year. I don't see them as a great defense at all. But certainly improving and playing more disciplined. That's what we needed from this team.

LTH

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":31g1wzlq said:
Nothing wrong with hope. I think middle of the road is where they end up at the end of the regular season, and that would be a massive improvement from earlier in the year. I don't see them as a great defense at all. But certainly improving and playing more disciplined. That's what we needed from this team.

Granted.... Jury is still out ... it was only the jets.. but the D line is playing really well right now. Hopefully they get Dunbar back and Dunlap back they have a legit chance to be really good...

I loved the way the O was running the ball 36/174. Russ taking what the D was giving them, moving the chains... 28 first downs and the big thing controlling TOP Jets 25:32 Hawks 34:28... this helps the D enormously.. keeps those rotations fresh...

The stats might reflect middle of the road,,, but I believe the stats don't represent the current effectiveness of the D...

we will see over the next 3 games lets hope the secondary gets better at catching the ball...

LTHY

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There were a few check downs over the middle that really stood out. Like yell at the TV in a good way stand out.
Was really good to see, and the Receivers helping out in the scramble drills etc.

RCATES

Reaction score
Easy to make a Defense look good when you cherry pick which games. Lets see how they do against the Rams. These other games against bad offenses is Meh.

OP
OP
rcaido

rcaido

Reaction score
RCATES":19a1oq6c said:
Easy to make a Defense look good when you cherry pick which games. Lets see how they do against the Rams. These other games against bad offenses is Meh.

How am i cherrypicking? I posted last 3 games, last week...Posted an update from the last 3 games this week, while still posting overall for the year.

Is there a site that can show rankings for the last 5 games? That would include the Rams game. Im pretty sure we would still be ranked in the top 10.

This defense has been very solid when we finally have a healthy defense & chance to actually play together. Right now, the Seahawks last 3 games has given up the fewest points & yards. Making them #1 in the last 3 weeks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We may be relatively healthy compared to the train wreck of injuries earlier in the season but we're certainly not at full strength. Depth is critical in the NFL and our defensive depth has really stepped up this season.

Against the Jets we were playing without Dunlap, Flowers, Dunbar, Neal and Mone and still had Irvin, Blair, Thorpe, Lano Hill, and Branden Jackson on the IR list. The Jets may be terrible but we beat them in part with good reserve play from guys like DJ Reed, Jayson Stanley, Linden Stephens and Alton Robinson. That matters because there is still room for positive injury luck in the future as we get personnel back, and if we do have a key injury or two in the playoffs then our backups can have some confidence of coming in and playing well.

sutz

Reaction score
This is why focusing on annual stats is less indicative of what's going on than following the recent trends. Our D is trending upward (in quality, not in stats ;)) and our O looks like it might be climbing out of the mid season dip they experienced. If both D and O are trending up, that bodes well for the next few weeks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They are playing a lot better and disciplined. But, dwelling on how historically bad they WERE playing seems to be the norm. Getting better going in to the stretch run on Defense. Not sure how that's a bad thing, let alone the constant downplaying a good performance. They don't make the schedule. Plenty of other teams feast on crap offenses. Couldn't care less who they are playing, they are playing better on defense overall.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2gru9bny said:
They are playing a lot better and disciplined. But, dwelling on how historically bad they WERE playing seems to be the norm. Getting better going in to the stretch run on Defense. Not sure how that's a bad thing, let alone the constant downplaying a good performance. They don't make the schedule. Plenty of other teams feast on crap offenses. Couldn't care less who they are playing, they are playing better on defense overall.

Exactly!!!!

Everybody should feel somewhat better about our defense & prospects now than after that Buffalo debacle but it's .NET so whatever.

Chawker

Reaction score
Veeery.... body laugh at me when I said, "This defense is going to be Legendary" now you all give credit to our boys, but nobody gives me any creds when I made the correct call on our defense comming together like I knew they would.

That just suits me fine.

CHEERS MFs ! :177692:

Tokadub

Reaction score
I agree the defense looks much, MUCH, better lately which is a very good sign because I still think our offense has so much potential... if everything clicks at the right time we could win it all... but I'm not as optimistic as I was a few weeks ago. Something seems off again with this team, just not focused the way they should be...

Even if they are playing well I feel like they are going to do something undisiciplined and lose a close game in the playoffs... I can't put my finger on it...

I'm kinda torn maybe they should of tried to have fun vs the Jets to bring together... but I'm not sure if that attitude won't carry over to an elimination game and cause some sloppy inexcusable mistakes... we can't be taking 15 yard penalties in the playoffs for excessive celebration for example...

DK metcalf still doesn't even attempt to high point the ball... that interception was 100% on him and he's running around grabbing cameras getting penalties without even fans around to make it sorta cool... it's just empty stadium him running around like that... he's starting to act like a bit of a stereotypical wide receiver that's self centered in their visible actions...

The New York Jets and the New York Giants are the bottom 2 teams in the entire league in offensive yards per game...

The Eagles are the 26th ranked team with offensive production based on yards per game...

So your whole post is based on our defensive performance on 3 teams that average out to about the bottom 7% of the league Offensively in yards... it doesn't mean anything they are so bad.

The JETS missed 3 field goals in THE FIRST HALF... if the jets Scored 12 points vs us in the 1st half would you be so excited? Because that's what should of just happened...

Not to mention our defense dropped like 5 interceptions that were easy to catch for a 10 year old... are they intoxicated???

I like your overall message for optimism and the defense IS improving but LET'S NOT PUT LIPSTICK ON A PIG QUITE YET...

OP
OP
rcaido

rcaido

Reaction score
Last 3 games

Points allowed -Seattle is ranked #1 points allowed and overall ranked #15
Pass Defense - Seattle is ranked #3 in Passing yards allowed allowed but overall #32
Rush Defense - Seattle is ranked #16 in Rushing yards allowed but overall #3
Sacks - Seattle is ranked #8 overall is ranked #6
Total yards Allowed- Seattle is ranked #2 in Total yards allowed but overall #26

Wow so the last 3 games, Seahawks Defense #1 points allowed & #2 Total yards allowed.

Seahawks has been the best defense last 4 games. Probably top 5 last 6 games.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People can try to downplay it as much as the want. Doesn't change the FACT that they are playing a lot better the last month or so....

OP
OP
rcaido

rcaido

Reaction score
Last 3 games

Points allowed -Seattle is ranked #1 points allowed and overall ranked #13
Pass Defense - Seattle is ranked #9 in Passing yards allowed allowed but overall #32
Rush Defense - Seattle is ranked #4 in Rushing yards allowed but overall #5
Sacks - Seattle is ranked #6 overall is ranked #7
Total yards Allowed- Seattle is ranked #4 in Total yards allowed but overall #23

So the Seahawks defense has only given up an average of 9points in the last 3 games. The best in the NFL. They been in the top 10 in pretty much 2nd half of the season.

hawks85

Reaction score
rcaido":2b12dh5s said:
Last 3 games

Points allowed -Seattle is ranked #1 points allowed and overall ranked #15
Pass Defense - Seattle is ranked #3 in Passing yards allowed allowed but overall #32
Rush Defense - Seattle is ranked #16 in Rushing yards allowed but overall #3
Sacks - Seattle is ranked #8 overall is ranked #6
Total yards Allowed- Seattle is ranked #2 in Total yards allowed but overall #26

Wow so the last 3 games, Seahawks Defense #1 points allowed & #2 Total yards allowed.

Seahawks has been the best defense last 4 games. Probably top 5 last 6 games.

Ever since that second half of the Rams game in week 10 until now, Seattle has been a top 5 overall Defense, Maybe top 3.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
nah, we don't deal in facts here
We just dwell on how the defense was playing a month and a half ago, and somehow ignore that they have had a massive improvement :irishdrinkers: