Seatttle Mariners @ Cleveland Guardians Sep 2-4

sutz

Reaction score
Should be a good series. Possibly a playoff preview.

First pitch tonight is at 4:10 pm PDT

RHP Luis Castillo (5-5, 2.85) vs. RHP Zach Plesac (3-11, 4.39)

Castillo will be looking to get back into form after a couple of "weak" outings.

Team updates: Mariners: They completed a three-game sweep of the Tigers on Thursday and have won eight of their last 11 games. They took three out of four from Cleveland last week at T-Mobile Field. Seattle scored only 13 runs in the four-game series. Castillo and Ray were a combined 1-0 with 17 strikeouts in 13 innings against the G’s. Mitch Haniger homered and drove in four runs against Cleveland. Guardians: They entered Thursday night’s game against the Orioles having split their last 10 games. In losing three out of four to Seattle, they scored seven runs and were out-homered, 6-1. Civale and closer Emmanuel Clase lost to Seattle, while Zach Plesac won his start.
from: https://www.cleveland.com/guardians...ariners-series-preview-pitching-matchups.html

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Plesac out with hand injury. Cody Morris in.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
One win in this series will give the M's the season tie breaker over the Guardians. Go Mariners!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Is there a reason why we are scoring so early? I thought we weren’t suppose to score til the mid to late innings? It’s hust weird getting used to early offense.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Castillo looks wild and overthrowing a bit, but he’s gotten out of it.
Love the early offense, don’t stop it.

DJrmb

Reaction score
WTF, Gimenez just put his arm into the strikezone, got hit, and gets a base? And that can't be challenged? 🤦🏽‍♂️

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
WTF, Gimenez just put his arm into the strikezone, got hit, and gets a base? And that can't be challenged? 🤦🏽‍♂️
That was pretty bad, luckily didn't hurt us. That was a borderline strike.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
Well, at least we're working their bullpen early in the series. Meanwhile, our pen is enjoying the game sitting on their butts. :)

PS: their bullpen is pretty good.

DJrmb

Reaction score
That was pretty bad, luckily didn't hurt us. That was a borderline strike.
Yeah, the tracer on TV had it as a strike in the top corner of the zone.

I hope they emphasize that to umps going into the playoffs. I think the ump got caught off guard and just awarded him 1st base immediately out of habit, but if guys are going to exploit that rule because it can't be challenged then the umps need to be reminded that the batter can't lean into the zone to take a pitch like that.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Cal Raleigh! Have a night!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Dude suck his hand right in the strike zone!

And what's with the silly challenge on that first base runner? It looked safe to me as the play happened. Timing was terrible too. Pete Carroll-ish. IIRC it was 2 outs and a runner at first with Castillo on the mound? No threat there.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I would be more than happy if we have to go to Cleveland for a playoff series. Ideally we have a home game, but if we don’t I want Cleveland. We are just better than them.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I would be more than happy if we have to go to Cleveland for a playoff series. Ideally we have a home game, but if we don’t I want Cleveland. We are just better than them.
Yeah, I agree. Even though they have multiple guys hitting around .300, that lack of overall pop makes them a lot less scary than other teams.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Here's that fake "hit by pitch" on Gimenez:

Last edited:
OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
We just took the season series from Cleveland. Now that they use a tiebreaker system instead of a 1 game playoff, that could be meaningful come October.