Shorter passing game

hawk45

Reaction score
Many more plays with shorter routes this week than we saw in the first 5 games I thought. It gave the OL a bit more margin for error. And when there were some longer-developing routes they blocked better anyhow, which was also nice.

I approved of this change. I think obviously it's necessary to threaten down the field, but this change seems like a no-brainer to me with an injury-riddled line. Save the deep stuff for PA a little later in the game after some running success.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Seaswab":syd8ey99 said:
There were guys open, wilson didnt see them
yep, I learned to give and take with Wilson, his vision is never going to be very good. However he's probably the best QB in football at extending plays and running (while not getting hit)

VaporHawk

Reaction score
Seaswab":1b58w6b9 said:
There were guys open, ...

This

There were times when a deeper WR was open on the same side as the underneath guy that ended up catching the pass. Really noticeable at the game when Wilson rolled out, but maybe the game plan was to keep things safe or like you said he didn't see it...:hmmmm:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
So interesting to see one group of people saying Wilson is missing guys open deep and others agreeing with Danny Kelly that opposing d-coordinators have shut down our team's deep passing game.

Abach

Reaction score
VaporHawk":ab33d9ab said:
Seaswab":ab33d9ab said:

This

There were times when a deeper WR was open on the same side as the underneath guy that ended up catching the pass. Really noticeable at the game when Wilson rolled out, but maybe the game plan was to keep things safe or like you said he didn't see it...:hmmmm:

I agree. I said the same thing in the game day forum and got crucified for saying so.

sturg78

Reaction score
We tried. 2 straight 3rd down incompletion to Tate on a slant. WR still needs to get some separation. Percy can do that.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
VaporHawk":2ed38n3p said:
Seaswab":2ed38n3p said:

This

Excuse me, but when I hear he had guys 'open' from the average fan watching the game live OR even on his DVR, I'm just not going to lap it up like some chocolate sauce if wisdom :mrgreen: Way too many situational variables apply.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
How about that pass to Marshawn Lynch ? I know it was a broken play, but it should give us some ideas ... roll one way and throw the other way. I think I could have made that catch and run 30 yards ... ha ha ha ...ok; Maybe not ... but come on ... we need more stuff like that, seriously.

OP
OP
hawk45

hawk45

Reaction score
Abach":12v0b1nz said:
VaporHawk":12v0b1nz said:
Seaswab":12v0b1nz said:

This

I agree. I said the same thing in the game day forum and got crucified for saying so.

Eh...you got crucified for saying it on a play when Wilson was flushed out to the right sideline, moving right, and Tate was open in the middle of the field in the endzone. RW would have had to throw across his body like 30 yards or more. Even the announcers, when Tate was shown being open, said, yeah that's great but it's be suicide to try and get it to him in those circumstances. If that's a shining example of guys being open that Wilson missed, you can see why folks are skeptical.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I like that we got some dink'n'dunk passing game in. It gave Wilson some rhythm and the o-line some confidence.

This may also be a prelude to the imminent return of Harvin. Pass it 3 yards to get 10 YAC.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1gg4kdge said:
How about that pass to Marshawn Lynch ? I know it was a broken play, but it should give us some ideas ... roll one way and throw the other way. I think I could have made that catch and run 30 yards ... ha ha ha ...ok; Maybe not ... but come on ... we need more stuff like that, seriously.
I read in the paper today that it wasn't a broken play (unless you're referring to the coverage played by the defense) but rather Russ told Marshawn to float out there in the flat "cause you never know, they might not see you go out there". Did anyone else see this? I think it was the Hawks' reporter from the Tacoma News Tribune (our Vancouver, WA paper picked up his account of the game).

-The Glove-

Reaction score
sturg78":ckjktegn said:
We tried. 2 straight 3rd down incompletion to Tate on a slant. WR still needs to get some separation. Percy can do that.

I think part of it is ball placement too. The balls to Tate were in his gut where the defender can easily swat it away or wrap up his arms. A little higher where only Tate can extend a bit would give it a better chance to be sucessful IMO. Fitzpatrick threw one perfectly later in the game just like this.

Not knowing what PC says though, it could be an emphasis on taking care of the ball. A little higher could lead to a tipped ball by Tate and INT

OP
OP
hawk45

hawk45

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1d6atboc said:
sturg78":1d6atboc said:

I think part of it is ball placement too. The balls to Tate were in his gut where the defender can easily swat it away or wrap up his arms. A little higher where only Tate can extend a bit would give it a better chance to be sucessful IMO. Fitzpatrick threw one perfectly later in the game just like this.

I remember thinking the same thing during the game that the ball was thrown right at Tate's gut and that's why the DB's PI really messed with it.

On further review though, if he puts it a bit higher and leads the guy a little, he has to be awfully confident in the guy's ability to make that catch with hands extended. If the DB lays a mild PI on the receiver (which happened) but the ball is high and away, that's a tip in the air and an INT. Although if he puts it way high and Tater goes into high-point mode, that's a different story :)

sturg78

Reaction score
hawk45":3jpzjchc said:
-The Glove-":3jpzjchc said:
sturg78":3jpzjchc said:

I remember thinking the same thing during the game that the ball was thrown right at Tate's gut and that's why the DB's PI really messed with it.

On further review though, if he puts it a bit higher and leads the guy a little, he has to be awfully confident in the guy's ability to make that catch with hands extended. If the DB lays a mild PI on the receiver (which happened) but the ball is high and away, that's a tip in the air and an INT. Although if he puts it way high and Tater goes into high-point mode, that's a different story :)

Or if Tate used his hands instead of body catching, the placement would be perfect

RichNhansom

Reaction score
You can't use your hands to catch a ball coming straight into your gut. Had the ball been led slightly assuming Verner doesn't rap up Tates arms completely like he did it is an easy catch and possibly with room for RAC. It would have also made the PI much more blatant even if Verner did the exact same thing. By Tate having to keep his hands close to his body it wasn't as blatant that Verner was tugging on Tates arms. Still should have been a PI either way though.

Latest posts