So..how do we progress?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I want a speedster RB with hands that Pete feels like he can try something not so ******* boring with.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":27jyc187 said:
BoltonWanderer":27jyc187 said:
I feel so flat after watching that game. The frustrating thing is knowing that the offence was terrible at the back end of the season and they did nothing - NOTHING - to change it in the biggest game of the season. More play action? More throws to TEs? More use of Swain, Moore etc? None of that, just the same old reliance on throwing deep balls to DK and Lockett.

This team feels like a boxer who won a fight with a left hook and now that's all he throws. Not set up, no jab, just left hook constantly. It's predictable, it's easy to defend against and with Aaron Donald in the opposing line, you just aren't going to get guys open in the time available.

I can handle losing, I'm not a sore loser and I give the Rams credit...but the real issue is that this team had an obvious problem for weeks and had no idea how to fix it. For all his faults, Ken Norton did fix the atrocious defence but the offence was figured out and there was no Plan B. Once the deep ball to DK and Lockett was unavilable, there was nothing.

this is it, this is the thread, the offseason, the diagnosis

Get rid of RW so you can do what we're currently doing but even worse?

What a brutal take.

TraderGary

Reaction score
mistaowen":pwe7yovw said:
New OC who gets to implement a new offense with a whole new offensive coaching staff and minimal input from Pete on that side of the ball. Build the program, build the culture, continue shaping the D, that's it. Pete's offense doesn't translate anymore, can't look like dog $h!t for 3/4 of a game and scrape out a win against playoff caliber teams. It's baffling to me how challenging every pass is when I look at every other team in the league scheme guys open consistently.

Year 3 of Schotty, massive regression. Same garbage shows up every year. After Vikings game teams simply changed to cover2/cover4 and the offense couldn't move the ball for 3 quarters every game. How do you come out in a home playoff game and get negative total yards in the first quarter? There was zero adjustments made once teams got the blueprint on the offense and they just kept jamming a square into a circle. Pete surprisingly mentioned he wished the offense adjusted better second half of season/today but at this point I have no faith he will make necessary changes. A young, fresh minded OC who will get the most out of Russ's skillset at this point in his career is desperately needed because I am concerned his confidence started to shake this season. Pete decided to go ultra Pete ball after those 2 turnover heavy games, looked like a different QB since then.

More playmakers on offense. JS needs to be ruthless this year and do some serious roster churn on the depth. This year felt like a step in the right direction but more is needed.

KNJ turned the defense around but how much of it was due to some pretty terrible QB's is up for debate. I don't think getting to average after being on pace for the worst defense of all time is much to hang your hat on. I still think fresh blood at DC is needed.
I absolutely agree with your first two points, and have had the same thoughts for a while now.

As far as more playmakers on offense, we have a lot of talent there, they just weren't utilized properly. Even though he had a record breaking season, they should have been finding a lot more creative ways to get DK the ball. He's a beast. That said, we could definitely use a reliable 3rd down possession receiver. Our 3rd down conversion rate was abysmal, even early in the season when the offense was practically scoring at will. Also, it will be interesting to see what they decide to do at RB.

As for KNJ, I was firmly on the fire him bandwagon earlier in the season. But with the transformation late in the season, I think he's earned one more year to determine if that was just a product of the bad teams we were playing. I'm not real confident in his abilities as a DC, but given the turnaround, I don't see PC making a change at this time.

Gio

Reaction score
Even with a new OC , would Pete let him do his thing ? Or it's going to be a Pete offense ?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
ScottishHawk84":1fyargyt said:
BoltonWanderer":1fyargyt said:
I feel so flat after watching that game. The frustrating thing is knowing that the offence was terrible at the back end of the season and they did nothing - NOTHING - to change it in the biggest game of the season. More play action? More throws to TEs? More use of Swain, Moore etc? None of that, just the same old reliance on throwing deep balls to DK and Lockett.

This team feels like a boxer who won a fight with a left hook and now that's all he throws. Not set up, no jab, just left hook constantly. It's predictable, it's easy to defend against and with Aaron Donald in the opposing line, you just aren't going to get guys open in the time available.

I can handle losing, I'm not a sore loser and I give the Rams credit...but the real issue is that this team had an obvious problem for weeks and had no idea how to fix it. For all his faults, Ken Norton did fix the atrocious defence but the offence was figured out and there was no Plan B. Once the deep ball to DK and Lockett was unavilable, there was nothing.

Great post..KNJ definitely figure it out..obviously helped we got more healthy and the starters got more reps together. On the other side of the ball, it was criminal how little adjustments were made. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE saw the offense struggling but it was put forward that it wasn’t that bad and trust the process blah blah.

Nah. Ackers ran for 131 when his longest play was a screen pass. The defense is still suspect. Rewatch last rams td. Griffin didnt even follow his wr to the other side of the field. The offense is just worse.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We progress by getting rid of Pete Carroll. This same song and dance will keep on playing under Carroll, I'm thankful for the Super Bowl but this is as far as we're getting with him. Nothing will change until he is off the team.

xray

Reaction score
kf3339":2r179ca3 said:
New ownership. That's what we need right now. Otherwise, nothing is going to change.

^
This has to happen . Carroll's extension @ 69 years old was asinine . IMO

Ramfan128

Reaction score
LTH":3tvtg6cd said:
I think to compete with the Rams the Hawks need to be more physical up front... Wilson is taking to much punishment for my liking I think I would draft OL and DL..

LTH

This.

Seattle this year when not playing the Rams:

11-3 - fluky loss to AZ, loss to the Bills on the road, and one let down game against the Giants - even the Chiefs had one of these this year, every team has one.

It's time for Carroll to adapt and realize he needs to think about the Rams with personnel moves going forward. That starts with the OL. We sacked Wilson 15 times in three games? That shows such an extreme lack of adjustments coupled with a personnel mismatch that it had to have grabbed his attention.

getnasty

Reaction score
RedAlice":2e29j1cr said:
RolandDeschain":2e29j1cr said:
Smellyman":2e29j1cr said:
Fire Schotty
It's Pete that keeps the vanilla offense in play, not Schotty. At least Schotty is considerably better than Bevell was.

I’ve read on here for years how badly you all viewed Bevell.

Is saying Shotty is better than the worst a positive thing? Shotty sucks. Well, maybe not compared to Bevell. But really, he does!

He’s an insane egomaniac.

We get it you don't like Shotty, thanks.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1mrvptd2 said:
It's time for Carroll to adapt and realize he needs to think about the Rams with personnel moves going forward. That starts with the OL. We sacked Wilson 15 times in three games? That shows such an extreme lack of adjustments coupled with a personnel mismatch that it had to have grabbed his attention.

You have to realize that Pete will not adapt though. Thats the problem. Its been the same thing now for 6 straight years (and he has a new 5 year extension,,,,,,heaven help us if he stays through it). As for personnel, Pete is the absolute worst at using players to their strengths. Been going on forever. Nothing will change.

NJlargent

Reaction score
The OL is awful because we have ignored it over the years to an insane level. The reason it is ignored is Carroll does not believe it needs to be a focus. Meanwhile his focus is antiquated.

Wow did he get abused yesterday by McVay. Rah rah believe in the system.

justafan

Reaction score
There will always be rule changes and minor innovations but the same things that won games decades ago still win games today. Turn overs,execution and winning the trenches.
The Rams were the bullies on both lines. They didnt out scheme us. They made fewer mistakes,fewer turnovers,fewer penalties and ran the ball down our throats.
Im not a fire everyone type fan but if coaches should be fired it should be for building a soft and stupid team who struggles with the basics of football.