So Nathaniel Hackett was the problem?????

olyfan63

Reaction score
<snip>
The @John63 profile appears to be in some weird status. When I tried to "@" him just now, the interface didn't suggest @John63 as a possibility. However, the search function can still find his posts, and they still have his profile image, a Seahawks logo with Seahawks-color tentacles or something, at too-low resolution. That's false advertising, because @John63 was a Wilson fan, not a Seahawks fan. I just used the preview function on this comment, and I can see that where I've written "@John63," there's a link, and it's to his profile page. @John63's last post here was on the 22nd of September, when Wilson had already done a lot of sucking and many here were finding it pretty funny, and @John63 hadn't even logged in here since the 7th of October. RIP, @John63!
@John63's fantastic unintentional comedy is kind of incomplete without the glory of "Deandc," the same person's profile on the Broncos discussion board:
As you can see there, he joined the Broncos board in March of last year, after Wilson was traded, and posted so much there that he achieved "Ring of Famer" status in just a few months. You can see in his posts that he refers to the Broncos as "we" and "us," proving that he was a Wilson fan and not a Seahawks fan. He started to become as much of a joke to Broncos fans there as he had been for us here, because his whole shtick was blaming anyone and everyone except Wilson for Wilson's poor performance. People there, like people here, started jokingly speculating that he was on Wilson's "Team 3" payroll.
Even over there, Deandc/@John63 ended up giving up, because even on a Broncos board, he was pretty much the only one blaming everyone except Wilson. Deandc didn't post on the Broncos board after the 21st of November (a post blaming others for Wilson's poor performance: "Still having problems with drops, fumbles, blocking, etc"
And he didn't even bother to show up to see what others were saying after the 11th of December. Our own @m0ng0 posted a visitor message for him on the 24th of December asking "What happened man?" but "Deandc" didn't even log in again there, much less reply to an actual Seahawks fan.
WOW!! Amazing research! I only knew we hadn't seen John63 for a good while, but you really dug into it!
Love the line, "Fantastic unintentional comedy", sums up John63 pretty well!

CouchLogic

Reaction score
When Broncos fans in the stadium got so frustrated with the inability of the Broncos offense to get plays off in time (pain we Seahawks fan know too well from the Wilson years) that they started counting down the last five seconds of the play clock out loud, Wilson fans tried to blame Hackett. The problem with blaming Hackett for that is that communication with the sideline is cut off either when there's 15 seconds left on the play clock or when the ball is snapped, whichever happens first. So once you're down to five seconds or fewer, that is not on the coach.
The relevant rule is Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3 of the 2022 NFL rulebook (I've added boldface emphasis for one part):

The @John63 profile appears to be in some weird status. When I tried to "@" him just now, the interface didn't suggest @John63 as a possibility. However, the search function can still find his posts, and they still have his profile image, a Seahawks logo with Seahawks-color tentacles or something, at too-low resolution. That's false advertising, because @John63 was a Wilson fan, not a Seahawks fan. I just used the preview function on this comment, and I can see that where I've written "@John63," there's a link, and it's to his profile page. @John63's last post here was on the 22nd of September, when Wilson had already done a lot of sucking and many here were finding it pretty funny, and @John63 hadn't even logged in here since the 7th of October. RIP, @John63!
@John63's fantastic unintentional comedy is kind of incomplete without the glory of "Deandc," the same person's profile on the Broncos discussion board:
As you can see there, he joined the Broncos board in March of last year, after Wilson was traded, and posted so much there that he achieved "Ring of Famer" status in just a few months. You can see in his posts that he refers to the Broncos as "we" and "us," proving that he was a Wilson fan and not a Seahawks fan. He started to become as much of a joke to Broncos fans there as he had been for us here, because his whole shtick was blaming anyone and everyone except Wilson for Wilson's poor performance. People there, like people here, started jokingly speculating that he was on Wilson's "Team 3" payroll.
Even over there, Deandc/@John63 ended up giving up, because even on a Broncos board, he was pretty much the only one blaming everyone except Wilson. Deandc didn't post on the Broncos board after the 21st of November (a post blaming others for Wilson's poor performance: "Still having problems with drops, fumbles, blocking, etc"
And he didn't even bother to show up to see what others were saying after the 11th of December. Our own @m0ng0 posted a visitor message for him on the 24th of December asking "What happened man?" but "Deandc" didn't even log in again there, much less reply to an actual Seahawks fan.
Just kiss the guy already.

***Cue 90's romcom music***

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hackett was terrible at clock management to the point the Broncs needed to hire Jerry Rosberg out of retirement to call them.
It's so hard to know what were Hackett's "specific limitations", e.g., clock management, vs. his "general limitations".
Maybe Hackett would be fine, NFL average or better at "clock managment", without his "general limitations" in the area of "multitasking in real time".

Example: as a girls U-14 soccer coach, trying to rotate 18 players through 11 on-field slots, and ensure every player plays at least HALF the game, IIRC, I had a schedule set up for every 7ish minutes to rotate. Guaranteed, I'd get too emotional, distracted, and involved in the game, analyzing matchups, recording notes of "praise" or "work on" for players, and if rotations were up to me, I'd SCREW IT UP royally, in a "multitasking" mode. So, I pre-made rotation schedules and put a couple parents in charge of executing rotations during the games. I'd be be "average or better" at player rotations if that was my "You had ONE JOB!!" task.

I swear, the look on Hackett's face, at various times, deer-in-headlights, that's how I'd look if I knew I'd just screwed up something important because I couldn't do it all at once and hadn't put in good systems to handle the simultaneous competing priorities. (Same look on Sean McVay's face in Super Bowl vs Patriots) I once failed to get an average but very deserving player into a bang-bang short format tournament final game. We won the final in dramatic, "golden goal" fashion, but me FAILING this child, took the luster off and compelled me to find a better system. One short rotation!! That's all it would have taken and she would have been, and felt, part of the glory. I failed. Hackett failed, in having an end-of-game plan vs. the Hawks, in managing timeouts and scenarios.

Anyway, the Head Coaching gig clearly was too much for Hackett in this go-round. He is a likeable guy, clearly with some smarts, and I'm rooting for him to learn his lessons, get his experience, and get another shot. Hackett as the next Andy Reid in another 5 years? It may not be farfetched. Look how long it took Reid to finally master winning in the playoffs. OK, Patrick Mahomes, definitely a factor here. Look at Pete Carroll, a failure and FIRED with the Patriots, wins a Lombardi in Seattle. Hackett, like Carroll, Sean McVay, Dick Vermeil, and others before him is working hard to be ready for his next shot.