So uh...how about that Lock fellow?

kidhawk

Reaction score
To be fair, Lock said he had Waldron in his ear telling him which receivers were getting the best coverage for what we were trying to do. This doesn’t mean that Lock can’t do it on his own but he was getting guidance.

I like Lock I just don’t think he’s there with Geno right now. He needs time with the receivers that you just can’t get with a handful of practices.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
To be fair, Lock said he had Waldron in his ear telling him which receivers were getting the best coverage for what we weee trying to do. This doesn’t mean that Lock can’t do it on his own but he was getting guidance.

I like Lock I just don’t think he’s there with Geno right now. He needs time with the receivers that you just can’t get with a handful of practices.
This is why I keep saying he hasn't taken the job yet. It's the mental side. If he's gonna win the job, you gotta give him an offseason of reps or he's gonna fizzle out bad.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I notice that Lock missed some really easy presnap stuff in preseason. He definitely still has some kinks he needs to iron out.
It wouldn't be fair to throw him in the fire, precisely because of that sort of thing. Remember Pittsburgh in the 2022 preseason? Missed a line call and got hammered blindside, lost the ball and the chance to win the game.

We all have to remember - he's a prospect who had a severely botched development in Denver, coupled with some of the absolute worst coaching a young quarterback could receive. He can do a bang up job as-is right now if you've got coaches structuring everything about the game for him, but that's a narrow type of scenario that cannot be replicated all of the time and will result in a very streaky offense.

We have to give him every opportunity to settle in if we want to consider him a realistic threat to step into the big chair.

keasley45

Reaction score
There's a video on YouTube that shows every one of Locks pass attempts against Philly. He did a good job. But on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest level play in terms of sophistication and nuance from the position, I'd say he graded out at a 6. Absolutely nothing scientific about that. Some of it was his play, and some of it was that he was given a pretty easy script to play from.

That's not to be a Debbie Downer, but if I counted correctly, only 6 of his passes required him to do much in terms of read progression. It was presnap look, confirm, throw. Waldron put him in a really good spot to win on plays. And we saw some different things from the offense with Lock in than we did with Geno. For one, there were a good number of screens which we ran very well.

But the bad... that 4/10 portion of his game that is still lacking, is his ability to manipulate coverage with his movement in the pocket, from what you can glean from the tape, not much in read progression, and still sloppy footwork.

He still locks onto guys and throws balls he absolutely should not. There were 2 that could have ended the game - the circus catch by DK that a better DB would have picked off, and the throw to Tyler on the last drive or 2nd to last. These are the throws he would botch in Denver as well, and you can see it coming even before he let's the ball go.

The frustrating thing is that we have 2 QBs who suffer the same shortcoming, albeit, Geno is better at moving coverage with his eyes and is significantly more polished in diagnosing defense. But the dude doesn't have the quick trigger that Drew does. Drew can make plays he shouldn't, by sheer arm talent and that Geno woukdnt even attempt (that at times he should).

All in all, I think it was a huge game for Drew. I just wish there was more marked improvement in some of the basic aspects of play from the position. His decision making does look faster, but the footwork is still choppy, and he's still locking onto routes. Thise things I'd hope after 2 years of coaching, you'd see better play in. But again, he needs the reps and the experience that comes from playing when real bullets are flying.

Happy for him (and us) though. Hoping he continues to improve. Would be great to have a guy with his talent and character really take off here. That's no a knock on Geno. Lock just has the ability to make more of a play than what it is.

Rosco

Reaction score
To be fair, Lock said he had Waldron in his ear telling him which receivers were getting the best coverage for what we were trying to do. This doesn’t mean that Lock can’t do it on his own but he was getting guidance.

Waldon was/is in Genos ear as well. Offensive coordinators across the league do that in between plays.
Let’s not act as if it’s just Lock

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
There's a video on YouTube that shows every one of Locks pass attempts against Philly. He did a good job. But on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest level play in terms of sophistication and nuance from the position, I'd say he graded out at a 6. Absolutely nothing scientific about that. Some of it was his play, and some of it was that he was given a pretty easy script to play from.

That's not to be a Debbie Downer, but if I counted correctly, only 6 of his passes required him to do much in terms of read progression. It was presnap look, confirm, throw. Waldron put him in a really good spot to win on plays. And we saw some different things from the offense with Lock in than we did with Geno. For one, there were a good number of screens which we ran very well.

But the bad... that 4/10 portion of his game that is still lacking, is his ability to manipulate coverage with his movement in the pocket, from what you can glean from the tape, not much in read progression, and still sloppy footwork.

He still locks onto guys and throws balls he absolutely should not. There were 2 that could have ended the game - the circus catch by DK that a better DB would have picked off, and the throw to Tyler on the last drive or 2nd to last. These are the throws he would botch in Denver as well, and you can see it coming even before he let's the ball go.

The frustrating thing is that we have 2 QBs who suffer the same shortcoming, albeit, Geno is better at moving coverage with his eyes and is significantly more polished in diagnosing defense. But the dude doesn't have the quick trigger that Drew does. Drew can make plays he shouldn't, by sheer arm talent and that Geno woukdnt even attempt (that at times he should).

All in all, I think it was a huge game for Drew. I just wish there was more marked improvement in some of the basic aspects of play from the position. His decision making does look faster, but the footwork is still choppy, and he's still locking onto routes. Thise things I'd hope after 2 years of coaching, you'd see better play in. But again, he needs the reps and the experience that comes from playing when real bullets are flying.

Happy for him (and us) though. Hoping he continues to improve. Would be great to have a guy with his talent and character really take off here. That's no a knock on Geno. Lock just has the ability to make more of a play than what it is.
Nice Post.

You make some good points.

Agreed - the circus catch to DK shoulda coulda been a pick.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

Brilliant, I couldn't have said this better myself. These are the same exact things I saw from both Geno and Lock. You said it much better than I.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
At the MINIMIM, I feel a hell of a lot better about the QB room than I did a couple weeks ago. IF Geno can't go and/or has an off game, clearly Lock doesn't suck nearly as much as advertised. He was poised.
And NO I am not saying that either of them are great QB's, far from it. But, it's not nearly as bad as it was looking for a bit there.

Hawknight

Reaction score

But you got to admit..it's one hell of a start for Lock....I would like to see a few more fully played games from Lock, see where he's at and then make that comparison to Geno.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Waldon was/is in Genos ear as well. Offensive coordinators across the league do that in between plays.
Let’s not act as if it’s just Lock

Where did I say anything about Geno not having Waldron in his ear? You are reading too much into my post. This thread was a discussion on Locks play on MNF. I simply clarified a point made by the poster.

keasley45 made a much more detailed post about Lock that I think is absolutely spot on. Lock has the ability to be a starting qb in the NFL, he just needs more reps. Personally I don’t think while we are making a playoff push is the best time for those reps but at least we know that if needed he can perform admirably under the gun. Something we can all be happy about.

Latest posts