Steve Hutchinson?

Aircrew

Reaction score
Is a consultant for the Seahawks now and was in the war room for the draft? I'm sorry, but f**k him. There's a short list of former players that I have absolutely zero use for and Hutch is one of them. Yes, he was probably the best OG in NFL history, but I'm still not over the "poison pill" bullsh*t and how complicit he was in making it happen. I don't care how good of a job he does as a talent scout now, he's persona non grata as far as I'm concerned.

evergreen

Reaction score
I Hear ya. That was mostly Tim Ruskill's fault too.Hutch did shaft us. But why the transition tag? WTF? We all new he was way more important than Shaun Alexander. Any back was getting 1200 yards back there.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Is a consultant for the Seahawks now and was in the war room for the draft? I'm sorry, but f**k him. There's a short list of former players that I have absolutely zero use for and Hutch is one of them. Yes, he was probably the best OG in NFL history, but I'm still not over the "poison pill" bullsh*t and how complicit he was in making it happen. I don't care how good of a job he does as a talent scout now, he's persona non grata as far as I'm concerned.

Now, now... SA37 disagrees.

OP
OP
Aircrew

Aircrew

Reaction score
I Hear ya. That was mostly Tim Ruskill's fault too.Hutch did shaft us. But why the transition tag? WTF? We all new he was way more important than Shaun Alexander. Any back was getting 1200 yards back there.
Absolutely agree. Tim "Toolbag" Ruskell has plenty of blood on his hands over that disaster, too. You'll find this hilarious and appropriate, I just looked his dumbass up, he's the GM for the Orlando Apollos. Never heard of them? Me neither. The AAF, minor league football team. How perfect.

Msfann

Reaction score

I agree with this completely. I still root against the vikings because of it and always will, they bent the rules to screw us over. The league let it happen then changed the rule when we did it back to the vikings.

Hutch can eat shiat

Ruminator

Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Tim "Toolbag" Ruskell has plenty of blood on his hands over that disaster, too. You'll find this hilarious and appropriate, I just looked his dumbass up, he's the GM for the Orlando Apollos. Never heard of them? Me neither. The AAF, minor league football team. How perfect.
Apollos, eh? Even as a FL resident, I've never heard of 'em.

Bobblehead

Reaction score

It's not his fault.. GM screwd him over..anyone would have done the same thing as Hutch..

Ruminator

Reaction score
Maybe Hutch is genuinely attempting to make amends (though much of what happened was largely out of his control, was it not?)... but what we needed was his OL ability back when, not something many of us can do equally well, trying to provide advice.

Last edited:

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I hear ya…I was so pissed at he and the Vikes back then. I blame the Vikes and Ruskell nowadays.

At the HOF ceremony, Hutch spoke so highly of his former hawk brethren and the org. I totally forgave him after that speech.

If he was franchised, and he should have been…there would not be an issue. I didn’t question Ruskell as much then as I do now. I thought he was trying to let Hutch find his price, but now think he should have done the work to keep the best O-line tandem ever in tact and got burned by an org with no scruples. Businesses need to anticipate what can happen, regardless of whether it’s right or wrong.

Players have to make decisions for themselves, not the fans. I don’t blame any of them for doing something they think will better their families and/or situation.

morgulon1

Reaction score

I hear you but I'm over it. He balled out for Seattle , was told one thing from Holmgren ,then the front office did the opposite and pissed him off. This was his lively hood.

I think JS and co. value his level of expertise and insight.

Jac

Reaction score
Had the NFL any interest in maintaining the integrity of the league, they would never have allowed poison pill terms. But boy have we learned a lot about the NFL's misguided interests since!
I'm glad that Hutchinson is around now...but yeah, that poison pill was way outside the spirit of the transition tag. The NFL should have intervened.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Hutchinson fiasco is 100% on Ruskell. Ruskell told Holmgren that they were going to put the franchise tag on Hutch and then switched it. Even Holmy didn't know what was happening until it was too late. So Ruskell was asking Hutch to set his price. He gave him the leeway to do that and Hutch found a way to set that price. He maximized his opportunity. This could have all been prevented if Ruskell didn't try to get cute and just franchise tagged Hutchinson.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The poison pill contract situation with Hutchinson was created by the unquestionably stupid decision of then GM Ruskell to transition tag Hutchinson when a comparatively smaller increase would have franchised Hutch keeping him here. it was a bad decision that truly hurt the team and cost them a HOF level OG and this decision set the team back significantly. Even Holmgren was truly shocked and upset about the situation which resulted in the loss of a key part of a very solid OLine. The team never really got it back to same level and still has questions the exist over the interior of the OLine.

In the end it got Russell fired as part of a series of collectively dumb management decisions. I was glad to see him gone.

Jac

Reaction score
The poison pill contract situation with Hutchinson was created by the unquestionably stupid decision of then GM Ruskell to transition tag Hutchinson when a comparatively smaller increase would have franchised Hutch keeping him here. it was a bad decision that truly hurt the team and cost them a HOF level OG and this decision set the team back significantly. Even Holmgren was truly shocked and upset about the situation which resulted in the loss of a key part of a very solid OLine. The team never really got it back to same level and still has questions the exist over the interior of the OLine.

In the end it got Russell fired as part of a series of collectively dumb management decisions. I was glad to see him gone.
Yes, it was definitely Ruskell's fault (a terrible GM), but the poison pill was also terrible form on Minnesota's part that prevented Seattle from following through on the transition tag as intended. It was ultimately outlawed in 2011 when the new CBA was ratified.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I got over the Hutch situation when he was still playing it’s good to have him with the team. I do wonder if he has any coaching aspirations

nwHawk

Reaction score
For those that did not know, Hutch had been consulting for Seahawks on OL prospects for a few years. Time to get over it. Once a Hawk, always a Hawk.

BASF

Reaction score
How naive can people be? If you truly believe that Ruskell came up with using the transition tag without Hutch's agent requesting it, I have a Nigerian prince that you can help out.

If you believe that Hutch's agent requested it without Hutch's approval, I have another Nigerian prince you can help out.

If you believe that the Vikings came up with the provision that Hutchinson would have to be the highest paid lineman with a provision so that the Seahawks could not revise the terms of Walter Jones' contract to make a contract work with Hutchinson without his agent assisting in the terms to get Hutchinson out of Seattle, I have yet another Nigerian prince that you can help.

Hutchinson did not want to continue playing for the Seahawks. His agent played Ruskell like a fiddle and then played the PR game to keep Hutchinson from being hated. Apparently PT Barnum was right judging by these posts.