Steve Largent Makes the Top 100

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Revealed this evening on NFL Network, Steve Largent makes the list of 10 receivers voted to the Top 100 All Time Team. I am glad he was recognized as he clearly deserved to be on the list. However, the most compelling portion of the shows (the announcement show and then the reaction show after which Steve was one of the guests for the full hour) came when during the announcement show, Jerry Rice mentioned that when he went to play for Seattle, Steve gave his blessing to wear his retired #80. The way Jerry made it sound like was that Steve asked him to wear it.

On the reaction show where Steve was one of the guests, the host asked him if that was an accurate account. Steve - ever the class act - basically smiled slyly and said something to the effect that he would go with that account. After all, Both Steve and Jerry have been good friends for years. However, most 12's know the real story. And to my surprise he was pressed to offer his account and Steve told the truth, which is the same truth he told years ago. Which was that the idiot GM at the time Bob Whitsitt basically played both Steve and Jerry via phone conversations. Bob - over the phone - put Steve in an awkward position making Steve think that Jerry was demanding to wear his number, so Steve obliged. Bob then calls Jerry and tells him that Steve wants him to wear his number, which Jerry was not going to deny a legend after all.

So the snake played them both. Jerry called into the show at the end for his rebuttal and admitted that they were both played by "management".

It was an interesting and enlightening exchange that I didn't anticipate on these shows tonight. So for those of you 12's who have always held a grudge towards Rice for wearing #80, thinking he demanded to wear that number...That's not the truth.

The truth is, we used to have a GM who was a total pr*ck.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And for an added bonus they played the Harden Hit footage. :2thumbs:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Huh. Interesting. Steve legitimately was the original GOAT WR. Sure, most of what he did had been surpassed, but at the time he was the best to ever do it.

Jerry is a good dude and he's got records nobody will ever touch. Not surprising that Trader Bob was the culprit.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1ie41ltg said:
Huh. Interesting. Steve legitimately was the original GOAT WR. Sure, most of what he did had been surpassed, but at the time he was the best to ever do it.

Jerry is a good dude and he's got records nobody will ever touch. Not surprising that Trader Bob was the culprit.
Good for Steve. I have nothing but respect for him and Jerry Rice. 2 class act HOF’ers.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm also glad to hear both speak on the matter because I was one of those originally at the time really pissed off that Jerry would have the audacity to wear #80.

kobebryant

Reaction score
The WR list feels like the most egregious list yet. TO and Megatron seem like pretty blatant ommisions.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's the whole 100 year thing...The panel feels compelled to make sure players of all eras are making the list which ultimately creates blatant omissions from more recent years. Like Judy Batista was saying, they wanted to have a "Golden Years 100" and then a Modern Era 100 but the NFL wanted to combine all eras down to 100 players.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Aros":203y3enn said:
I'm also glad to hear both speak on the matter because I was one of those originally at the time really pissed off that Jerry would have the audacity to wear #80.

Audacity is still a good word. Was he locked in a box somewhere and not able to call Steve himself? It sounds like he heard the outcome he wanted and just went forward.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":2he3ohgk said:
Revealed this evening on NFL Network, Steve Largent makes the list of 10 receivers voted to the Top 100 All Time Team. I am glad he was recognized as he clearly deserved to be on the list. However, the most compelling portion of the shows (the announcement show and then the reaction show after which Steve was one of the guests for the full hour) came when during the announcement show, Jerry Rice mentioned that when he went to play for Seattle, Steve gave his blessing to wear his retired #80. The way Jerry made it sound like was that Steve asked him to wear it.

On the reaction show where Steve was one of the guests, the host asked him if that was an accurate account. Steve - ever the class act - basically smiled slyly and said something to the effect that he would go with that account. After all, Both Steve and Jerry have been good friends for years. However, most 12's know the real story. And to my surprise he was pressed to offer his account and Steve told the truth, which is the same truth he told years ago. Which was that the idiot GM at the time Bob Whitsitt basically played both Steve and Jerry via phone conversations. Bob - over the phone - put Steve in an awkward position making Steve think that Jerry was demanding to wear his number, so Steve obliged. Bob then calls Jerry and tells him that Steve wants him to wear his number, which Jerry was not going to deny a legend after all.

So the snake played them both. Jerry called into the show at the end for his rebuttal and admitted that they were both played by "management".

It was an interesting and enlightening exchange that I didn't anticipate on these shows tonight. So for those of you 12's who have always held a grudge towards Rice for wearing #80, thinking he demanded to wear that number...That's not the truth.

The truth is, we used to have a GM who was a total pr*ck.

Whitsitt was a Prick as a GM of the Sonics and of the Blazers as well and road the coat tails of a great Coach and Veteran players before he got there.

Took Holmgren to get him out of the Seahawks with a Him or me approach basically.

chris98251

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1hffu8lp said:

Much easier tp surpass old records when you can't touch a WR these days by the rules, Take every WR in the last 20 or 25 years and have them play by the Rules Steve and Jerry, Fred Biletnikoff, Jack Snow, and many other played in going backward and see if they could get separation, survive a game or a season.