Stunner: Patriots release Dominique Easley

kearly

Reaction score
The timing of the cut makes me suspect they've been trying to trade him for months and finally gave up. The lack of waiver claims is further evidence that NFL teams don't hold Easley in high regard.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sounds like the news is out on this guy in the GM circles, someone will take a test drive I am sure, but the fact he cleared waivers and was not snagged immediately says something.

Not Johnny Football but apparently Mike Vick as far as the Dogs go and some other issues as well.

Rob12

Reaction score
If the talent is real, I'd at least bring him in and see where his head is at after getting cut. Maybe a wake up call for the guy.

I'd like to believe that perhaps Bennett, Avril, and some other guys on the defense could possibly turn this dude around. Maybe not likely, but kicking the tires won't hurt. And if he acts out, his leash will be short, so...

kearly

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of Easley, but I'd rather have Easley on my team for free then spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on Nkemdiche. They are basically the same guy. This seems fairly obvious and intuitive, something that even a stupid GM could easily grasp. Yet Easley is still sitting out there. It makes me wonder if there is something terrible about Easley that isn't being reported. Granted, Easley has some durability concerns, but still...

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":eopwtc1p said:
I've never been a fan of Easley, but I'd rather have Easley on my team for free then spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on Nkemdiche. They are basically the same guy. This seems fairly obvious and intuitive, something that even a stupid GM could easily grasp. Yet Easley is still sitting out there. It makes me wonder if there is something terrible about Easley that isn't being reported. Granted, Easley has some durability concerns, but still...

Nkemdiche certainly has issues. There is no doubt about it. Lets not run drills requested and plan to buy a panther to run loose in his house. Not the smartest thing....

However - I don't think I have read anything about him being a locker room cancer. Maybe I missed it but I think there is a difference between not running drills and what supposedly has been going on with Easley (I am thinking more Percy Harvin there) and on top of that add injuries.

Do I pick Nkemdiche in the first round - nope but 2nd / 3rd - yeah

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
mikeak":3htl249b said:
kearly":3htl249b said:

Nkemdiche certainly has issues. There is no doubt about it. Lets not run drills requested and plan to buy a panther to run loose in his house. Not the smartest thing....

However - I don't think I have read anything about him being a locker room cancer. Maybe I missed it but I think there is a difference between not running drills and what supposedly has been going on with Easley (I am thinking more Percy Harvin there) and on top of that add injuries.

Do I pick Nkemdiche in the first round - nope but 2nd / 3rd - yeah

3rd rounder for him, Clemons will knock the stupid out of him and away we go!

kearly

Reaction score
mikeak":3vlxt8fy said:

The term locker room cancer might as well be a term exclusive to the NFL. A college locker room is a party environment full of guys barely out of high school who are just having fun. An NFL locker room is a high stress environment full of grown men who are often jealous of each other over money and/or are trying to survive in the league. That's why you didn't hear stories about future NFL cancers like Harvin or Easley being locker room cancers in college, because the politics that are so strong in NFL locker rooms don't exist at all in college locker rooms.

If a college player has an entitled, irresponsible and remorseless attitude in college, he'll probably end up being a diva in the NFL. Nkemdiche has got diva written all over him. He's going to have to be really good really quick in the league, because his temperament is going to get him shipped out unless teams feel he's just too good to let go of.

If I thought he was amazing, like Aaron Donald as a prospect amazing, I'd be fine with rolling the dice on a guy like him. But I don't think he's impressive to begin with, and his only real hope of NFL success is to work very hard and respond very well to coaching... two things that are impossible with a lousy attitude.

Regarding Easley, I've never been a fan of his and I don't want the guy for the Hawks. But I see a lot more logic in signing him to a 1 year deal almost for free than spending a high pick on Nkemdiche. If Nkemdiche busts, it's a bad look and it cost you a high pick. If Easley doesn't work out, it costs you nothing. If Easley is a problem, you can cut him painlessly at any time. If Nkemdihe is a problem, it would be a lot harder to cut him as he would be a high draft pick.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
kearly":qdo1tccs said:
Regarding Easley, I've never been a fan of his and I don't want the guy for the Hawks. But I see a lot more logic in signing him to a 1 year deal almost for free than spending a high pick on Nkemdiche. If Nkemdiche busts, it's a bad look and it cost you a high pick. If Easley doesn't work out, it costs you nothing. If Easley is a problem, you can cut him painlessly at any time. If Nkemdihe is a problem, it would be a lot harder to cut him as he would be a high draft pick.

Yep, which of course is why JS will have a hard look at this player in order to see if he's as awful personality wise as has been reported. I don't know if this will get done before the draft or after but likely I'd suspect it'd be after so that Easley and his agent have had time to twist in the wind about even him being signed to a roster. His health status would also need to check out. That said I bet the Seahawks pro personnel dept has already looked at every one of Easley's NFL snaps to check out how he played as a pro. After all it was reported the team had some genuine interest in drafting him 2 drafts ago.

Vetamur

Reaction score
This is why its good Im not a GM.. I would sign the guy just for the novelty of having a Seahawk safety named "Easely" again.. worked out well last time.

McGruff

Reaction score
Vetamur":24m6c8gh said:
This is why its good Im not a GM.. I would sign the guy just for the novelty of having a Seahawk safety named "Easely" again.. worked out well last time.

How about the novelty of having a 300 pound safety?

Vetamur

Reaction score
McGruff":18ergae3 said:
Vetamur":18ergae3 said:

How about the novelty of having a 300 pound safety?

I actually had written that in at first..had worded things awkwardly, edited my post and ended up cutting it in half without noticing. Im not as good as multitasking as I used to be.. boo. Ruined my post.

Would still be awesome to put a giant 300 some odd pound dude out there with Easely on his back .. just a few plays in preseason.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Anyone think the FO will bring Easley in to chat about things?

Basis4day

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3irxwnt1 said:
Anyone think the FO will bring Easley in to chat about things?

I think they'll be quiet till after rookie minicamp.

Has any team showed interest?

cheese22

Reaction score
I could see them bringing him in with the intent to make a example out of him and cutting him, sooner than later.

Ruminator

Reaction score
In the interests of accelerating the Patriots' decline, I hope no other team picks him up, thus ensuring that much more is stuck in the team's dead money.

Basis4day

Reaction score
cheese22":3goif62e said:
I could see them bringing him in with the intent to make a example out of him and cutting him, sooner than later.

Why would this be necessary?