Superbowl XL referee Bill Leavy passes away at 76

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ehhh...

Both of Mr. "Slave to the Businessman" Josh Brown's misses were longer than you might remember. He missed from 53 and 50 yards. Although you can make the argument that in a dome, he should still make them.

Thing is - even if he makes those kicks - we still lose 21-16. Sure, it makes the game closer. And maybe Hasselbeck then tries to set us up for another FG after the setup for a third TD gets taken off the board with the garbage holding call on Locklear. Rather than playing desperate and throwing a pick.

Still, as long as Bill Cowher would be willing to call the Randle El option pass from closer to his own end zone - we lose, 21-19. We basically had to play a PERFECT game to overcome Pittsburgh's huge officiating advantage.

Imagine how badly Pittsburgh gets blown out in that game if these things happen:
  • The OPI on DJack isn't called. If that's asking for too much, defensive holding/PI gets called on Pittsburgh at the same time for the serious jersey pulling against DJack. And the drive continues
  • Neither one of Peter Warrick's big punt returns get called for block in the back.
  • The big bomb that set up the controversial Roethisberger TD gets called back because their RT Max Starks didn't pay attention and was an ineligible man downfield
  • The long Willie Parker TD run gets called back for your choice of Max Starks' hands to Lofa's face, or Heath Miller's hold and block in the back on Bryce Fisher.
My bad on the missed FG's. I got it off of ESPN's box score, but obviously either I read it wrong or they messed it up.

Nevertheless, if Brown makes even one of those kicks, it changes from a two-score game to one. That can make a huge difference in how both sides play, particularly in the 4th quarter. He was 5-8 from 50+ that season.

The Worthlessburger TD was on 3rd down, and had they ruled that he didn't get in, they likely would have gone for it on 4th down as the odds would have been on their side that he'd get in, especially a big, young Worthlessburger, so you just can't take 7 points off the board to support your argument.

And I disagree with your statement that we had to play a 'perfect' game to overcome the refereeing disadvantage. I agree, that on balance, the calls went against us, but we didn't bring our 'A' game that day like we had for the vast majority of the season. The Steelers were 8-15 on 3rd down. Can't hang that on the refs. It's hard to win games when your defense can't get off the field. Hass uncharacteristically turned the ball over in the red zone. He only threw 9 picks all season, 18 games when you count the two previous playoff games.

In summary, yes, it was a poorly officiated game that on balance, went against us, and it's pure speculation by both of us as to whether or not we would have won had it been fairer. But there were plenty of opportunities we had to negate that imbalance. We wouldn't have had to play a "perfect" game, just perform to our seasonal expectations. We were the better team, just not on that day.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We wouldn't have had to play a "perfect" game, just perform to our seasonal expectations. We were the better team, just not on that day.

100%.

Even the Seahawks themselves admitted they didn't play their best game, regardless of officiating. Many, which IMO includes the players themselves, would admit their Super Bowl was at home against Carolina in the NFCCG. THAT was a hell of a game which seemed to take an emotional and perhaps physical toll itself, since that was their first conference championship in franchise history.

Add the distractions of Super Bowl week, all the hoopla, the clear biased atmosphere in the city, Bettis getting the key to the city the week before the game, the fans and game itself, well, it's no wonder we didn't stand a chance.

RiverDog

Reaction score
100%.

Even the Seahawks themselves admitted they didn't play their best game, regardless of officiating. Many, which IMO includes the players themselves, would admit their Super Bowl was at home against Carolina in the NFCCG. THAT was a hell of a game which seemed to take an emotional and perhaps physical toll itself, since that was their first conference championship in franchise history.

Add the distractions of Super Bowl week, all the hoopla, the clear biased atmosphere in the city, Bettis getting the key to the city the week before the game, the fans and game itself, well, it's no wonder we didn't stand a chance.
The NFCCG against Carolina was a huge win, one of the best games ever played by a Seahawks team given the circumstances. Our defense, which at times had been a little suspect during the season, really came to play that day. It was such a huge win that it might have been a bit of a letdown going into the SB.

But I don't buy the distractions excuse. Most of the Steelers players had never played in a Super Bowl, either. Holmgren had been to two Super Bowls with the Packers, so there's no excuse for us letting any distraction affect our play.

RiverDog

Reaction score
To a football fan, it might carry a bit less weight. To oddsmakers and betters in Vegas, the important thing isn't the final score, the important thing is the spread. And there were a lot of people in Vegas that were convinced it was fixed.
Meh. Lots of people believe in some of the most outlandish conspiracy theories, and in order not to take the thread off topic, I won't use any examples. But you get the point. The number of people that believe in them doesn't make them any more credible.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Meh. Lots of people believe in some of the most outlandish conspiracy theories, and in order not to take the thread off topic, I won't use any examples. But you get the point. The number of people that believe in them doesn't make them any more credible.
Fair point. But just because something is a conspiracy theory doesn't mean there wasn't a conspiracy. My previous post was in response to the point that that the final score somehow indicated it probably wasn't fixed -- and my point was that the final score is irrelevant to Vegas, where many people who watched that game were convinced the fix was in.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Fair point. But just because something is a conspiracy theory doesn't mean there wasn't a conspiracy. My previous post was in response to the point that that the final score somehow indicated it probably wasn't fixed -- and my point was that the final score is irrelevant to Vegas, where many people who watched that game were convinced the fix was in.
I agree that the final score is irrelevant to whether or not a game was fixed.

However, the last phrase of your statement is equally irrelevant. People who gamble on football are no more qualified to pass judgment on the prospect of a game being fixed than you or I. They're not sitting there with a pair of headphones twisting knobs and reading meters to detect if a ref is crooked. They're just fans like the rest of us.

Besides, if you're losing a bet and the officiating is questionable, it's a natural reaction to think that the game was fixed, and a lot of them say it tongue in cheek and/or in a fit of rage without thinking it through.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score

However, the last phrase of your statement is equally irrelevant. People who gamble on football are no more qualified to pass judgment on the prospect of a game being fixed than you or I. They're not sitting there with a pair of headphones twisting knobs and reading meters to detect if a ref is crooked. They're just fans like the rest of us.

Besides, if you're losing a bet and the officiating is questionable, it's a natural reaction to think that the game was fixed, and a lot of them say it tongue in cheek and/or in a fit of rage without thinking it through.
The people in Vegas who were sure the fix was in wasn't just people who bet and lost, it was people in the business. So no, it wasn't just fans like the rest of us.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The people in Vegas who were sure the fix was in wasn't just people who bet and lost, it was people in the business. So no, it wasn't just fans like the rest of us.
I gotta disagree. While they may have access to inside information prior to a game being played that the public doesn't, bookies or 'people in the business' can no more determine if a game was fixed simply by watching it than you or I.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I gotta disagree. While they may have access to inside information prior to a game being played that the public doesn't, bookies or 'people in the business' can no more determine if a game was fixed simply by watching it than you or I.
They can't "determine" that, but they can certainly believe it based on what they saw. And what they saw was an entire game of one-sided calls resulting in a final score that skewed the spreads.

RiverDog

Reaction score
They can't "determine" that, but they can certainly believe it based on what they saw. And what they saw was an entire game of one-sided calls resulting in a final score that skewed the spreads.
So let's get down to the brass tacks. Exactly what was it that they saw? An entire game of one sided calls? Isn't that what you and I saw?

Until you can specify exactly what it is that allows a gambler or anyone else to see something unique during the game to what the rest of us fans saw, I'm saying that they are in no better position to come to the conclusion that the game was rigged than you or I. When it comes to watching the game, they're no different that the average arm chair quarterback.

Last edited:
OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
1-Jackson OPI showed a slight push off but at full speed could be seen as a penalty
2-Ben TD Showed the ball likely crossed the goal line before he hit the ground
3-Locklear hold at full speed looked like a penalty (had to hold as the DE got a great jump, still can’t tell if he was offsides)
4- Hass tackle was a complete blown call. With this said, if you were fixing a game you don’t purposely make up a penalty that doesn’t exist in the rule book so you can get scrutinized by the world for it and be exposed.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Bill Levy, who refereed Superbowl XL between the Seahawks, and the Steelers passed away at age 76. Unfortunately, he was known as the one who affected the game, making numerous bad calls and literally handing the game to the Steelers. I truly felt that the Seahawks were the way better team and deserved to win the Super Bowl that year. I remember being at the NFC championship game and thought no matter who they played they would win the Super Bowl.

With that said, he came out and admitted his errors, and I have nothing but respect for that man. Refereeing is a very, very difficult and thankless job. We are all human.

You were forgiven a long time ago and may you rest in peace, Mr. Leavy.

This was third in a series of seattle sports fixes-

1) Sonics/Suns in WCF. NBA needed a Barkley Jordan matchup. So they decided to call an inconceivable number of fouls that sent Phoneix to line 50 times that day- and they were still in the game till the last few minutes. I havent watched NBA in years, but at the time, 50 foul shots was unheard of

2) SB 48

3) UW vs UCONN 2006 Sweet 16. George Mason was waiting in the wings and no way UCONN was beating them which they eventually didnt. UW up 16, Brandon Roy called for a double technical and is ejected. How often does this happan in college ball? UCONN comes back to win. NCAA needed a story, UW beating George Mason would have been no big deal

IndyHawk

Reaction score

The Steelers as an legacy team
Had in the playoffs prior to XL gotten many calls starting with the stupid immaculate reception..
You ever wonder why you'll never see the bottom half of that replay with the football?
I remember when "Captain Comeback"-Harabaugh and the Colts threw that hail mary in the AFC
title game it went off three players and ends up on a Colts player laying on the ground but the ball
never touched the ground,ref/booth replay wasn't avaiiable that year.
One year against the Colts(Manning era) late in the game they said Bettis crossed before fumbling
Big time BS..He was clearly behind the line..Another Steeler gift call in playoffs..
This is why XL had me in rage even more because I saw so many Steeleer gifts over the years.

keasley45

Reaction score
I have to admit I’m a little surprised at some of the comments on here. Anytime I hear people mentioning any type of conspiracy issue within the NFL, my response always is “if the NFL is truly trying to fix games how come in all these years nobody credible has ever come out saying they were told to fix a game and then had others back them up stating this is true?“.

The bad calls in this game were:

1- Ticky tack offensive pass interference on Darrell Jackson.
2- Ben not officially getting over the goal line as one ref signaled a he was stopped only to be over turned
3- Ticky tack, holding call on our right tackle which negated a Jeremy Stevens catch down at the one or 2 yard line
4- a penalty on Matt Hasselbeck for tackling a guy after an interception

Other than the Hasselbeck call none of these were completely egregious. Were they bad calls? Yes. Do these happen all the time? Yes. Was this a conspiracy against the Seahawks?

In my mind absolutely not. Again, bad calls happen all the time. There were two in this game that were ticky-tacky, one on the Ben TD that should’ve been made right via replay, and one on Hasselbeck that should’ve never been called at all.

Human error happens and we got bit that game mightily bad by it. It sucked, it hurt, but again there is no way I believe this was done on purpose.

You are missing countless missed holding calls against the Steelers that all but neutralized our pass rush. There's a clip on YouTube of G Winstrom getting tackled in the process of trying to get to Big Ben. There were many.

And Holmgren himself took responsibility for pissing off Leavy when he asked him pre-game whether he was 'up for 'a game the magnitude of the Superbowl. Mike stated that he thought based on Leavy's lack of amusement at the comment, that he thought he'd pissed him off.

So it doesnt have to be that it was an 'NFL' conspiracy. Could have just been that the head ref had it out for us based on his exchange with Mike.

And before you think that kind of thing is too petty to haooen in the NFL... there are petty people in every walk of life. And it happens in the NFL. My family follows the Ravens and so by proxy, i watch more Baltimore games than i care to. In the 2000s, they were on the short end of calls, week in and week out, and the more their players complained and got in the face of the refs, the more the team got flagged. And a Lot of those flags were uncalled for.

But it was the Ravens... and so, before long theyd been labeled borderline dirty players.

Either way, there's no way the calls vs Pittsburgh weren't skewed a good bit and definitely impacted the outcome of the game. I think Leavy even admitted it at one point.

'NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowledged he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. The veteran official began an annual training-camp rules interpretation session with the Seattle media after practice on Friday by bringing up the subject without being asked.'

I think if there wasn't smoke there, he'd never have felt the need to admit fault. He made mistakes... and every single one impacted out chances to win.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
You are missing countless missed holding calls against the Steelers that all but neutralized our pass rush. There's a clip on YouTube of G Winstrom getting tackled in the process of trying to get to Big Ben. There were many.

And Holmgren himself took responsibility for pissing off Leavy when he asked him pre-game whether he was 'up for 'a game the magnitude of the Superbowl. Mike stated that he thought based on Leavy's lack of amusement at the comment, that he thought he'd pissed him off.

So it doesnt have to be that it was an 'NFL' conspiracy. Could have just been that the head ref had it out for us based on his exchange with Mike.

And before you think that kind of thing is too petty to haooen in the NFL... there are petty people in every walk of life. And it happens in the NFL. My family follows the Ravens and so by proxy, i watch more Baltimore games than i care to. In the 2000s, they were on the short end of calls, week in and week out, and the more their players complained and got in the face of the refs, the more the team got flagged. And a Lot of those flags were uncalled for.

But it was the Ravens... and so, before long theyd been labeled borderline dirty players.

Either way, there's no way the calls vs Pittsburgh weren't skewed a good bit and definitely impacted the outcome of the game. I think Leavy even admitted it at one point.

'NFL referee Bill Leavy acknowledged he made mistakes in the Seattle Seahawks' 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. The veteran official began an annual training-camp rules interpretation session with the Seattle media after practice on Friday by bringing up the subject without being asked.'

I think if there wasn't smoke there, he'd never have felt the need to admit fault. He made mistakes... and every single one impacted out chances to win.
First off Leavey didn’t throw the flags on those plays, his refs did. Secondly he felt bad about some calls he thought were wrong and admitted it. The NFL had nothing to gain by fixing the game as they already had their audience and it did not really matter who won as it was not settling up a matchup for the next week. Again I’m as big of a Hawk fan as anyone but the game was not intentionally steered.

keasley45

Reaction score
First off Leavey didn’t throw the flags on those plays, his refs did. Secondly he felt bad about some calls he thought were wrong and admitted it. The NFL had nothing to gain by fixing the game as they already had their audience and it did not really matter who won as it was not settling up a matchup for the next week. Again I’m as big of a Hawk fan as anyone but the game was not intentionally steered.

I didn't say it was an NFL conspiracy. But whatever the reason, there were flags thrown against us that shouldn't have been, and penalties that should have been called against the Steelers, that werent.

The notion that the game was a unfairly ref'd is even accepted in NFL circles. But the reason why will never be known.

What does feeling bad after the fact have to do with a wrongdoing?

And head refs confer with their guys during calls all of the time.

To say that there was nothing fishy about that game is ludicrous. On one side, you have passrushers being strangled and tackled during a play - no call, while on the other side, it just had to appear a penalty was committed and the yellow flags flew.

It was biased. It was unfair. And it without a doubt determined the outcome of a game.

Ken Hamlin was standing on the sideline during the game and looked into the camera and said ' you see what they're doing to us, right?'. So it's not just about what the fans thought, it was felt by the players on the field. That in itself, when it occurs to the degree that it did, begins to 'steer' the game.

And Holmgren, who always preached not using penalties as an excuse for poor play, famously stated after the game that he didn't expect to have to beat the Steelers AND the refs.

Play that game again, everything else being equal, on neutral ground with different refs and we won 8 times out of 10, if not more. Did we play our best game? No, but neither did the Steelers. And we were the better team overall and sans the penalties, on that night as well.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Not only did the NFL have nothing to gain by fixing the game, they had everything to lose. If the games were fixed or steered and subsequently were exposed to the public, they would have run the risk of losing millions of fans and have their sport marginalized. That's why baseball took the action they did over 100 years ago in the Black Sox scandal.

It's also the same reason why for decades, the sport was extremely reluctant to embrace gambling and connections to Las Vegas and only recently began to get comfortable with it. The NFL was one of the last to come to the party with regard to gambling, with state and local governments embracing lotteries, sports betting, etc.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
The Rooneys got a gift they have been around so long when they fart you see dust, Bettis a send off party in his home town, and yes the NFL has something to gain, merchandizing for the Steelers much better then the Seahawks with the Rapist there and us with really no big name guys, advertising for games the next year again with the Steelers. Goodell doesn't like our franchise, he had investigations about our crowd noise launched after we beat the Giants in the Shockey game. Wasn't a big fan of Paul who sent Representatives to League meetings most the time etc and didn't join the Jerry club and at that time was the richest owner as well.