The 2016 Seattle Mariners (Official season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
F!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F WORD! Gosh damnit. What a brutal way to lose the season. Runner on 2nd and no outs, can't score him. Lost for words. F

Crizilla

Reaction score
how lame for the ball to bounce like that right to first base. The AL is stacked this year....m's can't get lucky. But I like what Servais and Dipoto did in their first year. I'll remember this season because of the incredible come back against SD, Cishek's disasters, Aoki's outfield blunders, marte's terrible defense, and the walk off dingers. This sucks but there were about 10 losses this season that really really hurt. Clean up some stuff and we're a 90+ win team. I just hate seeing a career year from Cano get wasted.

Offense played their mind out tonight (except for Marte of course). PItching ultimately doomed this team. End of story.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Crizilla":3vl8hkm4 said:
how lame for the ball to bounce like that right to first base. The AL is stacked this year....m's can't get lucky. But I like what Servais and Dipoto did in their first year. I'll remember this season because of the incredible come back against SD, Cishek's disasters, Aoki's outfield blunders, marte's terrible defense, and the walk off dingers. This sucks but there were about 10 losses this season that really really hurt. Clean up some stuff and we're a 90+ win team. I just hate seeing a career year from Cano get wasted.

Offense played their mind out tonight (except for Marte of course). PItching ultimate doomed this team. End of story.

Yep. Career years from Cano Seager and Cruz. Don't think all 3 can stay healthy all year and do that again. Feels like this was our window.
I would have rather lost 12-0 than lose like that. So much hope and just crushed. What a kick to the balls.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Wow, what a heart breaker. But, that's typical for us Mariners fans. It's just hard to imagine this team improving next year. So much work needs to be done to this roster. Plus, there's the possibility for Cano, Cruz (won't he be a free agent? I thought he signed a 3 year deal), and Seager to decline. I don't know. It's just hard to be optimistic. Plus, there's no true ace on this team anymore. Can Paxton and Walker be the future? So much disappointment right now.

Watch Felix go out and pitch a perfect game tomorrow :stirthepot:

Crizilla

Reaction score
if cano , seager and cruz give us at least .280 with 25-30 homers next year i'll be happy

byau

Reaction score
Three chances to go up. Cruz with the bases loaded in the 8th. Then Aoki with bases loaded in the 9th (what's Aoki the last few weeks, Riz said .450?). Then with a runner on 2nd, we have Cano, Cruz, and Seager and they can't score him

One comeback short. Was a really fun season

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Just unbelievably heartbreaking. They fought back so hard but the pitching just couldn't get it done tonight. Onto next year.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah I don't really know what to think about the season. I guess I have to be pleased with the huge improvement from last year, but at the same time this was Cano's third year and still no playoffs. The window for this team is very small. Unfortunately, the window has likely closed on Felix. It's too bad that we were unable to make the playoffs in Felix's prime. That same door that shut on Felix this year will likely shut on Cruz within a year or two, and Cano within a few years.

My cause for concern is that we've never built off of good years:

2014: We went 87-75, next year we went 76-86
2009: We went 85-77, next year we went 61-101
2007: We went 88-74, next year we went 61-101

2014 was a younger and better team IMO, and we fell flat on our face in 2015. The fixes to this team are clear and IMO not huge. I think we can all agree we need to find a starting shortstop. Marte is not the answer. I wouldn't mind finding a LF/RF who can hit for some power. But most importantly, and we've never really had this need in a long time, but we need a legit starting pitcher. Most likely someone who can lead the rotation. Felix is no longer an ace. We don't have an ace on this team. I'm not sure who is a FA or who we can trade for, but we need to add a dominant starting pitcher.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1iqbhm5p said:
Yeah I don't really know what to think about the season. I guess I have to be pleased with the huge improvement from last year, but at the same time this was Cano's third year and still no playoffs. The window for this team is very small. Unfortunately, the window has likely closed on Felix. It's too bad that we were unable to make the playoffs in Felix's prime. That same door that shut on Felix this year will likely shut on Cruz within a year or two, and Cano within a few years.

2014 was a younger and better team IMO, and we fell flat on our face in 2015. The fixes to this team are clear and IMO not huge. I think we can all agree we need to find a starting shortstop. Marte is not the answer. I wouldn't mind finding a LF/RF who can hit for some power. But most importantly, and we've never really had this need in a long time, but we need a legit starting pitcher. Most likely someone who can lead the rotation. Felix is no longer an ace. We don't have an ace on this team. I'm not sure who is a FA or who we can trade for, but we need to add a dominant starting pitcher.

Agreed on all counts. The difference between the '07 to '14 teams and this team is the GM though. No Bavasi blunders, no Fat Jack jackass. DiPoto is highly competent and I fully expect him to make many more moves this offseason to get us over the hump.

The only major blunders DiPoto made was trading away Trumbo and possibly Montgomery but overall he did well with what he had to work with. I honestly don't see DiPoto letting this team slide again no matter what. Servais had too long of a leash last night on all the pitchers and it cost us and he had some questionable handling of the staff at times this year, but he and DiPoto with their long working relationship, I do not feel will let this team deteriorate.

Definitely need a new starting SS, another power bat in the OF, possibly another 1b and indeed another couple quality starting pitchers and some turnover in the pen. Tall tasks but I'm confident DiPoto will address all these issues.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Woke up this morning with the same kind of feeling when the Hawks lost the super bowl from the 1 yard line. Not to the same extent but a little of the same feeling. To have watched 150 of their games and when I wasn't watching, listening on the radio. So much time invested, and money going down to the games. All to watch the season end with the tying run 90ft away. Super bummed. Maybe Baltimore and Toronto will both win today and that will take the sting away a bit.
Well, hopefully a Hawks win in NY and Wilson comes out okay. Last thing we need is a Hawks loss and Wilson hurt worse than he is.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Ok I feel a lot better now. Both Toronto and Baltimore won, so even if we won yesterday we still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1cm1o5ai said:
Hawk-Lock":1cm1o5ai said:

Agreed on all counts. The difference between the '07 to '14 teams and this team is the GM though. No Bavasi blunders, no Fat Jack jackass. DiPoto is highly competent and I fully expect him to make many more moves this offseason to get us over the hump.

The only major blunders DiPoto made was trading away Trumbo and possibly Montgomery but overall he did well with what he had to work with. I honestly don't see DiPoto letting this team slide again no matter what. Servais had too long of a leash last night on all the pitchers and it cost us and he had some questionable handling of the staff at times this year, but he and DiPoto with their long working relationship, I do not feel will let this team deteriorate.

Definitely need a new starting SS, another power bat in the OF, possibly another 1b and indeed another couple quality starting pitchers and some turnover in the pen. Tall tasks but I'm confident DiPoto will address all these issues.
I liked most of Dipoto's moves and think we will be good but how good depends on breaks/injuries.The Trumbo trade wasn't very good but you couldn't predict how he did this year.As for this year we came up just short and I hope the manager learned a few things about closers and using RP's who just suck period.I was very impressed by the offense compared with the ones we had the last few years.There is hope and I think we will take steps up.It was fun in here most of the time this year guys.I will see you next spring..GO HAWKS!!!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":g1o9pm2a said:
West TX Hawk":g1o9pm2a said:
Hawk-Lock":g1o9pm2a said:

I liked most of Dipoto's moves and think we will be good but how good depends on breaks/injuries.The Trumbo trade wasn't very good but you couldn't predict how he did this year.As for this year we came up just short and I hope the manager learned a few things about closers and using RP's who just suck period.I was very impressed by the offense compared with the ones we had the last few years.There is hope and I think we will take steps up.It was fun in here most of the time this year guys.I will see you next spring..GO HAWKS!!!
In a few days I will close this thread and start a new Mariners off-season thread, but I'll let this thread continue for a bit more.

Hawker

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":myhetga2 said:
Ok I feel a lot better now. Both Toronto and Baltimore won, so even if we won yesterday we still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

This.

Tough spot to be in 2 out of the past 3 years - hoping others will lose out to get in. I think we improve to 90 wins next season but the big question is, how good will the Rangers & Astros be next year?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Fun year... Watched alot more baseball this year than I have in awhile.

sutz

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2j0ls25c said:
Fun year... Watched alot more baseball this year than I have in awhile.
This ^ ^ ^

Everybody wanted playoffs, none more than Felix. I guess I'm too old. I enjoyed watching meaningful games in late September.

Largent80

Reaction score
Everyone is pointing to the last game when all those early home losses added up to missing the playoffs. Their road record early on was way above .500 and their home record was way below. Reverse that and you may have a championship.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Having the longest streak in baseball of no playoffs is not fun for me. We have now extended the streak to 15 years.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
When they do finally end that streak it's that much sweeter

Status
Not open for further replies.