The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Kelenic is giving me flashbacks or every failed M’s prospect. I know it is way too early but how can you not be a little worried.

What is amazing is how well this team is doing despite him and half of the lineup not doing much. Nice to have Marco back. Somehow the starting pitching became a strength for this team.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'm sure Kelenic's lackluster performance at the plate is mostly on him, but he seems to be a magnet for savage mind-messing pitches, more so than most.

sutz

Reaction score
Ruminator":3sw9a93r said:
I'm sure Kelenic's lackluster performance at the plate is mostly on him, but he seems to be a magnet for savage mind-messing pitches, more so than most.
Of course. It's what they do to rookies. :229031_shrug:

At least in the middle of the lineup he has a better chance of battting with someone on base, and getting more fastballs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JK needs to hunt the offspeed pitches. They are not going to throw him a fastball in the zone until he starts hitting the off speed stuff.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Trammell needs to learn to hit the cut off man to keep the batter at first.
11 year old little league fundamentals.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yet another pitiful night of hitting for the Ms.

Just when they get our hopes up, they let us down again

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jerhawk":iwn9l4pj said:
Yet another pitiful night of hitting for the Ms.

Just when they get our hopes up, they let us down again
I hate losing to those white shoe wearing bastages!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I really like Kyle Lewis, but he is starting to become that guy that can't stay healthy.

Between him and Kelenic i'm starting to get some hesitancy. I can definitely see the bright future of this team, but I can also see a failed rebuild.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":4tcy4pns said:
I really like Kyle Lewis, but he is starting to become that guy that can't stay healthy.

Between him and Kelenic i'm starting to get some hesitancy. I can definitely see the bright future of this team, but I can also see a failed rebuild.
Lewis’ issue is staying healthy.

As for JK, I think he has been mishandled the whole way by the M’s org and that has affected him.
Does that excuse his shitty hitting? Nope.

I willing to bet this is the first prolonged slump he has ever been in.

The thing about Kelenic is some use Mike Trout as a comp.
Mike Trout got sent down to the minors once.

sutz

Reaction score
Have to admit SH, you've been consistent in blaming the team FO and Servais. :laugh:

As to Kelenic, from what I've heard/read you are probably right. This just might be his first experience with real struggles with playing. I was always one who thought they shouldn't rush him to the show, but he's here now. Right now, I don't think they'll send him down right away. But, I think they'll be watching him over this road trip. It's 10 games and sometime a change in environment can do wonders. I hear he got booed the other night. Hate to think that, but typical fans...scream to get him up here and then boo when he struggles.

Anyway, if he continues to struggle through this road trip, I suspect he'll be sent down for a week or two, just to get some of the pressure off of him and let him get back to his 'normal' game.

The Kyle Lewis saga is painful to see play out. He is such a good player, but seems to be a bit fragile.

Fact is, we don't know how long Haniger will stay healthy. He looks great, but he also has a history. Personally, I'd prefer not to trade him away. Having a quality vet around is always a good thing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":5ltoqtj2 said:
Have to admit SH, you've been consistent in blaming the team FO and Servais. :laugh:

As to Kelenic, from what I've heard/read you are probably right. This just might be his first experience with real struggles with playing. I was always one who thought they shouldn't rush him to the show, but he's here now. Right now, I don't think they'll send him down right away. But, I think they'll be watching him over this road trip. It's 10 games and sometime a change in environment can do wonders. I hear he got booed the other night. Hate to think that, but typical fans...scream to get him up here and then boo when he struggles.

Anyway, if he continues to struggle through this road trip, I suspect he'll be sent down for a week or two, just to get some of the pressure off of him and let him get back to his 'normal' game.

The Kyle Lewis saga is painful to see play out. He is such a good player, but seems to be a bit fragile.

Fact is, we don't know how long Haniger will stay healthy. He looks great, but he also has a history. Personally, I'd prefer not to trade him away. Having a quality vet around is always a good thing.
You’re right, guilty as charged. I bitch about ownership, front office, and the manager because overall I think they are not good at their jobs. I do think the Jerry is good at rebuilding a minor league system though but we will see if I’m correct about that. How they manage their players in the minors and their offensive philosophies have a lot to be desired IMHO.

It sucks about Lewis, the kid can’t catch a break.

As for JK if they sent him down right now I wouldn’t be pissed.
He himself has said he hates “giving away” at bats but that’s all he has been doing mostly.

I think hitting him lead off was a mistake at the MLB level.
Why they did it in AAA was to get him the most AB’s .

Maybe I’m wrong about this but I think he would have been better and through the slump if he was on the opening day roster as it would have been a smooth transition.

JK needs to realize he isn’t going to see any fastballs in the zone until he starts hitting the off speed pitches.
Hunt the off speed pitches.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3lwgpran said:
JK needs to realize he isn’t going to see any fastballs in the zone until he starts hitting the off speed pitches.

He's been seeing plenty of fastballs in the zone. He just can't hit them. Or he just watches them go by and then flails at the next pitch that's low and outside the zone by a foot.

I watch a lot of Mariners games. I would go as far as to say I've seen most of his AB's at the major league level. This narrative that no one's throwing him fastballs in the zone is simply false. No one's afraid to throw him fastballs in the zone (or anything else) because he can't hit shit.

Chapow

Reaction score
Chapow":2xwoqe8n said:
Sports Hernia":2xwoqe8n said:

He's been seeing plenty of fastballs in the zone. He just can't hit them. Or he just watches them go by and then flails at the next pitch that's low and outside the zone by a foot.

I watch a lot of Mariners games. I would go as far as to say I've seen most of his AB's at the major league level. This narrative that no one's throwing him fastballs in the zone is simply false. No one's afraid to throw him fastballs in the zone (or anything else) because he can't hit shit.

For example, his AB just now in the 4th. It was a 5 pitch strikeout. 3 of the pitches were fast balls, with 1 of them being borderline on the outside corner and the other 2 being right down the middle of the plate.

Again, he's seeing plenty of fastballs in the zone, he just can't do anything with them. He's now 0 for his last 33 with an overall batting average of .104.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Chapow":25g7zr4e said:
Chapow":25g7zr4e said:
Sports Hernia":25g7zr4e said:

For example, his AB just now in the 4th. It was a 5 pitch strikeout. 3 of the pitches were fast balls, with 1 of them being borderline on the outside corner and the other 2 being right down the middle of the plate.

Again, he's seeing plenty of fastballs in the zone, he just can't do anything with them. He's now 0 for his last 33 with an overall batting average of .104.
You’re right, I was wrong. :oops:

The kid is too deep in his own head right now.
Even as one of his biggest fans, I think him being sent down might do him some good.
It seemed to help Trammell, at least in the small sample size he’s been back.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
There's no shame in sending him back down for a little bit.
Trout got sent down a couple times at the beginning of his career too.

It'll allow him to grow his confidence and get back on track. Hes only 21.

And I agree with Hernia. Baseball is so mental, he needs to get his mind right first. He's got the physical tools.

He'll get there.

Threedee

Reaction score
Having a grand slam on your scorecard is always grounds for hope. And then your pitching staff kills that hope. At least right now they have a 4-1 lead in the 8th.

sutz

Reaction score
It takes a Mariners fan to go into the bottom of the ninth with a 7 run lead and feel nervous. And then Middleton gives up 3 runs and leaves 2 on with no outs registered. :34853_doh:

Gilbert still wastes a lot of pitches, but he got it done through 5. Tons of traffic but he wiggled out of the jams.

Montero still doing the Fernando Rodney 2.0 impression. Scares me every time he takes the mound.

Nice to see offense up and down the lineup for a change.

sutz

Reaction score
And the good news is they can't lose today! Guaranteed! :mrgreen:

Agreed on Kelenic. He was completely lost out there. Hopefully, he can follow in Trammell's footsteps and get his head back in the game and build back some confidence. I thought they might wait til the end of the road trip, but what the hell. When a young kid is 0 for 39 and hurting your team you gotta do something. Not sure how many up and downs they can do, but it is definitely more than 1. The talent is there.