The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

chris98251

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":z8h7mvrk said:
99350421_3027193370660347_4949140142880194560_n.jpg

True they were ground breakers in Social distancing.

Maulbert

Reaction score
sutz":3a3j9ifo said:
Fans in the stands? Looks like it could happen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/seatt ... plocalnews

Seattle Mariners to allow 9,000 fans on Opening Day, first time since 2019

The Seattle Mariners will join the list of sports teams allowing some fans in this upcoming season, the organization announced Thursday.

As Washington Gov. Jay Inslee announced the state would be moving to Phase 3 of its most recent reopening plan, the Mariners rolled out a news release saying 9,000 fans would be allowed in T-Mobile Park on April 1 and the subsequent 10 games.

John Stanton, Seattle Mariners chairman and managing partner, said the Mariners had been working with state and local health officials for several months to get ready for the first fans at games since 2019. This included developing several safety measures, including cashless transactions, streamlined security lines, digital ticketing, sanitation protocols, and a requirement to wear masks at all times unless actively eating or drinking.

King County and Washington approved the plan to put fans back in the seats of T-Mobile Park.

Not like the team will see a drop in attendance.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
chris98251":j52mj3hb said:
KitsapGuy":j52mj3hb said:

It's funny but in reality the Mariners have been mostly top half of baseball, and if not, not far behind in attendance over the past 20 years.

Maulbert

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":g5zwk7mx said:
chris98251":g5zwk7mx said:
KitsapGuy":g5zwk7mx said:

It's funny but in reality the Mariners have been mostly top half of baseball, and if not, not far behind in attendance over the past 20 years.

Dude, the Mariners haven't been in the top half of the league in attendance for 15 years. Seriously, 2006 was the last time, and they were only 14th in the league that season:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/misc.shtml

Who wants to pay to watch a perpetual rebuild?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":w5gaiv3f said:
XxXdragonXxX":w5gaiv3f said:
chris98251":w5gaiv3f said:
KitsapGuy":w5gaiv3f said:

Dude, the Mariners haven't been in the top half of the league in attendance for 15 years. Seriously, 2006 was the last time, and they were only 14th in the league that season:

.....and they are pissing off all of their stud prospects by playing arbitration games and or criticizing their English.

chris98251

Reaction score
There has been seasons where I thought the Rainiers may be better then the Mariners.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Maulbert":149c6gde said:
XxXdragonXxX":149c6gde said:
chris98251":149c6gde said:
KitsapGuy":149c6gde said:

Your link doesn't show the mariners attendance anywhere so I'm not sure what you're looking at.

This link shows the Mariners ranks in the American League, I can't find anything for all of MLB. But they were 7th of 15 in 2019 and 6th of 15 in 2018. 11 of the last 20 seasons they were top half of the AL.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... tend.shtml

Point is, yeah the attendance isn't great, but it's still better than a lot of teams. This meme would apply better to the Marlins.

EDIT here we go, found rankings for all of MLB. https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2018

2018 they were 14th, but yeah you're right before that the last time they were top 15 was 2006. But they've mostly hovered around the top 20 for the rest of the time.

Maulbert

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1k1x81uu said:
Maulbert":1k1x81uu said:
XxXdragonXxX":1k1x81uu said:
chris98251":1k1x81uu said:

Your link doesn't show the mariners attendance anywhere so I'm not sure what you're looking at.

This link shows the Mariners ranks in the American League, I can't find anything for all of MLB. But they were 7th of 15 in 2019 and 6th of 15 in 2018. 11 of the last 20 seasons they were top half of the AL.

Point is, yeah the attendance isn't great, but it's still better than a lot of teams. This meme would apply better to the Marlins.

EDIT here we go, found rankings for all of MLB. https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2018

2018 they were 14th, but yeah you're right before that the last time they were top 15 was 2006. But they've mostly hovered around the top 20 for the rest of the time.

It's a link that had a season by season list you could check to see each year's attendance numbers. I'm sorry you don't know how to check a link.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Maulbert":2yv9ovlf said:
XxXdragonXxX":2yv9ovlf said:
Maulbert":2yv9ovlf said:
XxXdragonXxX":2yv9ovlf said:

It's a link that had a season by season list you could check to see each year's attendance numbers. I'm sorry you don't know how to check a link.

Don't care. Doesn't change the fact that the Mariners attendance really isn't that bad.

Have a nice day.

sutz

Reaction score
Evan White just nailed a salami in the bottom of the 6th. :2thumbs: :snack:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":2s2cl955 said:
Evan White just nailed a salami in the bottom of the 6th. :2thumbs: :snack:
Absolutely love the guys glove, but he needs to start hitting.
Gave away too many AB’s last year. Gets into too many bad counts early in AB’s.
Hoping last year was an anomaly, as he hit decent in the minors.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They sent down Kelenic despite him leading the team with over a 1.200+ OPS.
What a joke of a franchise, still a bunch of clowns playing arbitration games with their top prospect.

They think this will save them a year of service time, but in all actuality will cost them any chance of extending the original contract as you just pissed him off, and they will have to trade him a year or 2 early to get anything of value back instead of letting he walk via free agency when his original contract is up.

....and they wonder why they are the only team in MLB baseball to never appear in the World Series.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2kzitan1 said:
What a joke of a franchise, still a bunch of clowns playing arbitration games with their top prospect.

They think this will save them a year of service time, but in all actuality will cost them any chance of extending the original contract as you just pissed him off, and they will have to trade him a year or 2 early to get anything of value back instead of letting he walk via free agency when his original contract is up.

....and they wonder why they are the only team in MLB baseball to never appear in the World Series.

Had they just put him on the team..It doesn't mean he would have extended
anything and He hasn't proved anything yet so we have years before we
say it was a dumb move either way.
It is only for what?14 or 21 days ect He's still coming up very soon and I
hope he wins rookie of the year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3cwt867q said:
Sports Hernia":3cwt867q said:

Had they just put him on the team..It doesn't mean he would have extended
anything and He hasn't proved anything yet so we have years before we
say it was a dumb move either way.
It is only for what?14 or 21 days ect He's still coming up very soon and I
hope he wins rookie of the year.
Normally I wouldn’t bat an eye about a prospect being upset but this guy is going to be a flat out stud.

You don’t piss guys like that off. Kelenic’s the ultimate competitor, those guys don’t forget who they think may have screwed them over. IMHO for the reasons I stated in the previous post the Mariners just shortened his career here in Seattle when think they are lengthening it. They will have to trade him 2 years before his contract is up tor let him play out his contract and get nothing when he leaves. They are pretty much eliminating any shot at a contract extension, which Kelenic has stated if you read between the lines.

The Mariners said if he would have signed a Evan White type pre major league extension he would have been called up last September.

So he would have been deemed “ready” if he signed that deal, but is not ready NOW and has “stuff to work on” despite leading the team in OPS. That is called “playing games”.

He led the team in OPS, yes it was a small sample size, but to say he didnt earn a spot over Fraley, Majomos, or Bishop is false (not saying you said this). Especially with Lewis being out, there is no reason for Kelenic NOT to be starting opening day.

Threedee

Reaction score
I never understand the Mariners front office. They were stingy from the mid-90s onward. Then they offered a 2nd baseman (should be one of your absolute cheapest positions) a ridiculously expensive deal. And then they go back to being stingy. Would have been nice to have spent some money on the Big Unit.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":8r3te9aq said:
I never understand the Mariners front office. They were stingy from the mid-90s onward. Then they offered a 2nd baseman (should be one of your absolute cheapest positions) a ridiculously expensive deal. And then they go back to being stingy. Would have been nice to have spent some money on the Big Unit.
They are cheap in certain areas (see not trading for Dave Justice in late 2001 who got traded to the yanks and killed us in the playoffs) but then spend money like a drunken sailor on the over the hill fan favorites like Dan Wilson and Jamie Moyer (whom I both liked). Then they over pay on Kyle Seager.

They are horrible on HOW they spend their $$$.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all of those deals were with a different FO group, though. They've been pretty smart lately.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":383k1fa1 said:
I'm pretty sure all of those deals were with a different FO group, though. They've been pretty smart lately.
Yes they were. This group IMHO is equally inept when it comes to common sense though for the reasons I described, with the exception of rebuilding a farm system which they have excelled at.

You don’t piss off your potential superstars by playing arbitration games, then insult the other top prospect by criticizing his English speaking abillity, and then bitch about paying $70,000 a year for an interpreter for your Japanese ball players. That was done by this FO/ownership team.

Don’t be surprised when Kelenic says he won’t sign an extension with Seattle and they end up having to trade him 2 years to go on his contract in order to get any value back.

I really want to love this team with no reservations but the FO/ownership is making it very hard to do so with the stupid shit they say and do.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2bfnbsii said:
Threedee":2bfnbsii said:
They are cheap in certain areas (see not trading for Dave Justice in late 2001 who got traded to the yanks and killed us in the playoffs) but then spend money like a drunken sailor on the over the hill fan favorites like Dan Wilson and Jamie Moyer (whom I both liked). Then they over pay on Kyle Seager.

I think they were so excited that Kyle was the only player from amongst a group of young players who actually developed (Ackley, Franklin, Miller, etc). Add insult to injury, because, it turns out that the organization was a systematic failure in this department at all levels, because, Smoak and Taylor went to other teams, and became solid players. Even Zunino has managed not to suck in TB.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":3vzhmqd2 said:
Sports Hernia":3vzhmqd2 said:
Threedee":3vzhmqd2 said:

I think they were so excited that Kyle was the only player from amongst a group of young players who actually developed (Ackley, Franklin, Miller, etc). Add insult to injury, because, it turns out that the organization was a systematic failure in this department at all levels, because, Smoak and Taylor went to other teams, and became solid players. Even Zunino has managed not to suck in TB.
That’s another reason I’m pissed on how they are handling the Kelenic situation, we finally have a guy that’s going to be a “stud” coming from our farm system (yes I know he was drafted by the Mets), and IMHO they just shortened his time as a mariner as I’d be shocked if he signs an extension after this. ....and when you trade a superstar in his prime, you never get anywhere close to his value back.

The only shining sliver of hope he stays is that the Mariners have a ton of success (see winning a World Series) with this young crop of players that enjoys playing together so much they want to stay together and the Mariners don’t Penny pinch their way back to mediocrity. The Mariners are banking on this severe long shot, that is unlikely to happen.

I hope I’m wrong, but it’s not likely.