The Boz Gets Candid

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Candid interview with Bob and Dave this past Friday. He's done pretty well for himself post Seahawks. Seems much more mature these days.

“I had a high bar that I wanted to live up to… I just wanted to make myself proud, my father proud, my teammates proud, the city proud, and I failed on all those measures and it still haunts me today. There’s nothing that we can do about the things that we’re passionate about, and if we’re born to do something and you put so much time and energy and effort, you know, blood, sweat and tears and it’s just all important for you and you come up short, you’re always going to feel like – I won’t say a failure because you got there, but less than your accomplishments, and you didn’t meet the bar that you set for yourself.”

Boz 620x370

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Of all that transpired in my childhood, probably the most bummed out I had ever been, Boz being a bust.

Up until that supplemental draft all we knew was bad football and never catching a break. Then somehow that ping pong ball or whatever fell to us and we got to have one of the best college players in the history of the sport to come to Seattle to give us some legitimacy.

B3q0i5zsqrltu00weznitobfgnhu3x73vmcqvfcs9rid200w

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Once boz hurt his shoulders his career went downhill. Also Bo Jackson hardly carried him. Bo running full speed at a stationary LB will always cause that.

Rainger

Reaction score
Of all that transpired in my childhood, probably the most bummed out I had ever been, Boz being a bust.

Up until that supplemental draft all we knew was bad football and never catching a break. Then somehow that ping pong ball or whatever fell to us and we got to have one of the best college players in the history of the sport to come to Seattle to give us some legitimacy.

View attachment 58001
He wasn't actually a "bust" Curry was a bust. The Boz just didn't live up to expectations because of injury and a small frame.

Torc

Reaction score
Yeah, I get irritated by the bust label. He played well when he was healthy. He wasn't a head case, he wasn't lazy. Steroids could have contributed to his injuries.

Like Rainger said - Curry was a bust. Ryan Leaf was a bust. I wouldn't put Boz in that category.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
He carried too much weight on a small frame. He was an egomaniac.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I think Brian Bosworth was a success. He created "the Boz" charachter and marketed his product, both back in college and in the pros too, by selling T-shirts with challenging images...like calling Elway "Horse Face". Despite claims of "bust" he was a really good player until his steroid built body "wore out". But, he had built up "expectations" with the fans...and also for himself.

Brian built up his body using drugs, but he also built up his "public image" through self promotion and advertising that he created and followed through with. He created the football charachter "The Boz" and went on to have a Hollywood career as well. He was a good football player, but could not live up to the "Hype" that he had created.

Ask Dave Wyman about the guy...he is a friend and supporter. I have a Bosworth jersey!!!

We are looking forward to next season for the team, with Geno, an awesome offensive line and now have the chance to go with Defense in the draft. We will still need someone like Schmitz at center....But, I don't think that there are any "false expectations" for the Seahawks going forward.

Last edited:

Aircrew

Reaction score
When healthy, Brian Bosworth was a very good linebacker. Sports media and the general public made up their mind that he was a bust because they wanted to believe that. They all fell for the bad boy character of "The Boz" that Brian created. That's not who Brian Bosworth was, that was the public character he created to elevate himself in media. And guess what, it worked. No, Brian was a good linebacker and from what we're hearing now, he was a good teammate. I have alot of respect for Dave Wyman and if they were friends in and outside the locker room, that tells me all I need to know.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think part of the bust label comes from that nightmarish Bo Jackson game. That's the thing people always remember about the Boz's NFL career cause it was such a high profile game.
Didn't he make double digit tackles in the playoff loss in Houston that year?

I found it hilarious when I found out in later years, his company was the one that sold the "Boz sucks" t-shirts in Denver and he made all the money off them.

Hawknight

Reaction score
The Boz was legendary..come on folks..I mean what other player that you know of set a trend for haircut styles like The Boz...if you don't know what I'm talking about and then you really didn't know much about him when he played for Seattle. The Boz cut redefined young boys hair styles during this Era. It put the cool in school.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He wasn't actually a "bust" Curry was a bust. The Boz just didn't live up to expectations because of injury and a small frame.

Boz was one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Barely two years, four sacks.

Who cares why.....and it wasn't a "small frame," it's because he was so roided up all the way through college and had to stop once he got to the NFL his body rapidly deteriorated and broke.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Boz was one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Barely two years, four sacks.

Who cares why.....and it wasn't a "small frame," it's because he was so roided up all the way through college and had to stop once he got to the NFL his body rapidly deteriorated and broke.

I agree. I remember reading that his "frame", hand size, and natural bones structure were commensurate to that of a 180 pound average Joe. Anyone can get strong, but you need the supporting tissue, bone mass, and joint design to stay healthy if you plan on injury free longevity.

It may have been the following article I'm referring to. Here's a Dave Wyman quote:

“He had size 9, size 9 ½ feet,” Wyman said. “I have size 14s. His hands were like my son’s hands. You could just tell he wasn’t a very big guy so he wasn’t going to be super durable.”