The Denver pick can easily move down to 5

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Perceived being the key word. And honestly, if we were told before the season that the Hawks would have the #5 pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds, would anyone have said no to that?
Top 5 pick is a huge bonus, and unexpected. Just my opinion.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I’ll spell it out. As of right now this is a 4 player draft.

Young, Stroud, Anderson, Carter

After that there is a large perceived drop off. I do not care how previous drafts played out as this draft and its actual players is all that matters. Again after some analysis, I revised my original statement to say it’s likely that the worst Seattle does is get the #4 so that’s good. Would still obviously rather have the #3 as it provides options.
This is how I see it. Big talent cliff after those 4. Gotta stay put, unless you get a trade back that sets you up to have another big ol' draft in 2024.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not trying to start an argument, but every year we hear from all the dot net experts on the draft. I suspect Pete and John, plus the scouts, have a much better idea of the true talent level in this draft. If it's even CLOSE to the draft they just had? Bonus. Even IF they are at 5, they have some very good options at their disposal. In addition to a lot of draft capital to move up if they wanted to. I have no issue with them trading down IF Carter or Anderson are gone. Plenty of teams will be on the phone w/JS when our pick comes up.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Not trying to start an argument, but every year we hear from all the dot net experts on the draft. I suspect Pete and John, plus the scouts, have a much better idea of the true talent level in this draft. If it's even CLOSE to the draft they just had? Bonus. Even IF they are at 5, they have some very good options at their disposal. In addition to a lot of draft capital to move up if they wanted to. I have no issue with them trading down IF Carter or Anderson are gone. Plenty of teams will be on the phone w/JS when our pick comes up.
I get it but that’s the whole point of the discussion. As you point out, “if Carter or Anderson are gone”. That’s why we want to be in preferably top 3 or very worst top 4.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
There might be a cliff?

2010 NFL Draft
Pick 4 Trent Williams
Pick 6 Russell Okung

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
For sure we'd rather have the #3 pick, or #2 if the Colts can beat the Texans and Denver loses.

But most experts say as long as you're in the top 8 or so, you're getting a bigtime impact player if you scout correctly, which we hope Schneider can.

These are the top 5 picks of the past four drafts.

Travon Walker

Aidan Hutchinson

Derek Stingley
Ahmad Gardner
Kayvon Thibodeaux

Trevor Lawrence
Zack Wilson
Trey Lance
Kyle Pitts
J'Mar Chase

Joe Burrow
Chase Young
Jeffrey Okudah
Andrew Thomas
Tua

Kyler Murray
Nick Bosa
Quinnen Williams
Clelan Ferrell
Devin White

Baker Mayfield
Saquon Barkley
Sam Darnold
Denzel Ward
Bradley Chubb

I think the moral of the story with this list? Holy moly you better be damn sure you absolutely LOVE the QB you're using your top 5 pick on, cause it could cost you a decade of bad football if you're wrong.

Other than that? No reason we can't draft a bigtime impact player at 4 or 5 if that's where we're at.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Perceived being the key word. And honestly, if we were told before the season that the Hawks would have the #5 pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds, would anyone have said no
There might be a cliff?

2010 NFL Draft
Pick 4 Trent Williams
Pick 6 Russell Okung
Yep. This draft as of now has a perceived 4 top players. Each draft is different so bringing up other drafts means nothing to this draft. Remember there are 4 perceived level 1 players as of now, not 5, not 3, but 4.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That doesn't mean that a hell of a lot more than 4 players will be damn good NFL players. As if the "experts" are always accurate. Not even close. They miss on a TON of players.
I'm not going to be way less stoked about the draft if we have the 5th pick in the 1st and 2nd rounds.
Let alone 2 picks in the 1st and 2 picks in the 2nd. I can't imagine not being stoked about this draft.

If they end up with the 5 instead of the 3, it's certainly not some huge tragedy. As if even half the people out there thought that the Bronco's would suck this bad.
This is bonus to be picking in the top 5.

All in how you look at it. And NO, I am NOT saying that I won't be a little bummed if they don't get the 3. We need it, just might not get the help we need this weekend.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Perception is what matters right now, however, and pick 3 provides leverage that 4 and 5 don't. Especially 5.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely. I'll be bummed, just not freaked out pissed off, that's all. Denver has been helping us all year with that suck fest.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Perception is what matters right now, however, and pick 3 provides leverage that 4 and 5 don't. Especially 5.
100%!!! Even if the Hawks want to deal their pick they want it as close to 1 as possible.

GemCity

Reaction score
I’d bet money we’ll be at 5. I don’t blame the schedules…eastern vs western time zones…it makes sense.

Personally, I also see it as a “four player draft”.

If I were JS and we do end up at 5, I’d do everything I could to trade back and stack ‘24’s draft.

Like every other draft…it’s rolling the dice.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I’d bet money we’ll be at 5. I don’t blame the schedules…eastern vs western time zones…it makes sense.

Personally, I also see it as a “four player draft”.

If I were JS and we do end up at 5, I’d do everything I could to trade back and stack ‘24’s draft.

Like every other draft…it’s rolling the dice.
Sorry to disagree but most likely we are picking 4th because the Colts would have to lose to the Texans for them to jump in front of us to the 4 spot and Houston will do whatever they can to lose that game to ensure the 1st pick.

Ozzy

Reaction score
For sure we'd rather have the #3 pick, or #2 if the Colts can beat the Texans and Denver loses.

But most experts say as long as you're in the top 8 or so, you're getting a bigtime impact player if you scout correctly, which we hope Schneider can.

Travon Walker
Aidan Hutchinson

Derek Stingley
Ahmad Gardner
Kayvon Thibodeaux

Trevor Lawrence
Zack Wilson
Trey Lance
Kyle Pitts
J'Mar Chase

Joe Burrow
Chase Young
Jeffrey Okudah
Andrew Thomas
Tua

Kyler Murray
Nick Bosa
Quinnen Williams
Clelan Ferrell
Devin White

Baker Mayfield
Saquon Barkley
Sam Darnold
Denzel Ward
Bradley Chubb

I think the moral of the story with this list? Holy moly you better be damn sure you absolutely LOVE the QB you're using your top 5 pick on, cause it could cost you a decade of bad football if you're wrong.

Other than that? No reason we can't draft a bigtime impact player at 4 or 5 if that's where we're at.
Someone did a recent dive of top 5 defensive lineman taken over the past few years and it wasn’t a ton better than the quarterbacks.

GemCity

Reaction score
Sorry to disagree but most likely we are picking 4th because the Colts would have to lose to the Texans for them to jump in front of us to the 4 spot and Houston will do whatever they can to lose that game to ensure the 1st pick.
You stated that earlier in the post. Thanks for the correction and pointing that out again!

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
You stated that earlier in the post. Thanks for the correction and pointing that out again!
No worries and you may be right that we trade our pick and stack 2024 picks. Frankly I loved not only rooting for the Hawks this year but also rooting against the Broncos. Reminds me of when we traded Galloway for 2 ones and rooted against the Cowgirls hard for 2 seasons.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

(Snip)

Baker Mayfield
Saquon Barkley
Sam Darnold
Denzel Ward
Bradley Chubb

The top five from 2018 offer a nice lesson. There were two QBs nowhere close to being the kind of franchise QB a team would want out of a top-five pick, a running back picked with a top-five pick (in 2018, even though I thought all NFL front offices would have been too smart to do that by then... EDITED to add: ...but I had forgotten just how far out of his depth Gettleman was :rolleyes:), a good-but-not-great-so-far CB, and Chubb. Let's say one and a half players out of five actually appear, five seasons later, to have been good uses of top-five picks.

This is part of why I agreed with @ZornLargentPatera that it's not worth obsessing over #3 vs. #5. There will be players picked in the top five who will end up being greatly outperformed in their first four years in the NFL and over their entire careers by players picked outside the top ten, and probably even picked outside the first round. It might be because of injury, it might be because of a player being picked by the "wrong" team (one that uses a scheme in which his strong points are least useful), or it might be because of players producing differently in the NFL from how they were projected to perform based on their minor-league ("college") performance, or it might be a combination of those and other factors.

In any case, yes, on average it's better to have the third pick than the fifth, but not so much better that it's worth getting upset about the difference.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
The top five from 2018 offer a nice lesson. There were two QBs nowhere close to being the kind of franchise QB a team would want out of a top-five pick, a running back picked with a top-five pick (in 2018, even though I thought all NFL front offices would have been too smart to do that by then... EDITED to add: ...but I had forgotten just how far out of his depth Gettleman was :rolleyes:), a good-but-not-great-so-far CB, and Chubb. Let's say one and a half players out of five actually appear, five seasons later, to have been good uses of top-five picks.

This is part of why I agreed with @ZornLargentPatera that it's not worth obsessing over #3 vs. #5. There will be players picked in the top five who will end up being greatly outperformed in their first four years in the NFL and over their entire careers by players picked outside the top ten, and probably even picked outside the first round. It might be because of injury, it might be because of a player being picked by the "wrong" team (one that uses a scheme in which his strong points are least useful), or it might be because of players producing differently in the NFL from how they were projected to perform based on their minor-league ("college") performance, or it might be a combination of those and other factors.

In any case, yes, on average it's better to have the third pick than the fifth, but not so much better that it's worth getting upset about the difference.
Plus, even if it were a four-person draft, odds are that at least one of those players is going to slide out as the offseason evaluation/hype ramps up.

Latest posts