"The Fearless" Jamal Adams

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Pretty good points made on the susceptibility to injury Jamal Adams is due to his play style. Thankfully, they signed Julian Love in free agency to help soften that blow if heaven forbid Adams suffers another season ending injury. Also, for now, it doesn't look like Ryan Neal is going anywhere. I know the overall consensus around here is that he's a bust but if he can stay healthy, I'm looking forward to a 3 safety scheme with adams playing more of a hybrid Linebacker.

Mick063

Reaction score
Kam Chancellor could hold up. You need a Kam to fulfill this hybrid linebacker fantasy. Kam could lift pulling guards off their feet and toss them aside. It is lunacy to ask Adams to be like Kam. To do something that he is physically incapable of doing. If you want Kam, then get another Kam. Someone with some heft and size to him.

This is EXACTLY why Kam may be the most underappreciated football player of the last two decades. He could have easily played full time as a Will linebacker, but he had enough versatile coverage skills to allow him to stay on the field for EVERY down and distance. As a true strong safety. He never had to come off the field due to situational scenarios.

The true heart and soul of that legendary defense. It was his run stuffing "in the box" that put teams into predictable passing situations. He didn't always get the tackle, but he sure did blow things up at the point of attack with regularity. He made Avril, Thomas, and Sherman better on third down because of the predictable passing situations that Kam created on first or second down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Kam Chancellor could hold up. You need a Kam to fulfill this hybrid linebacker fantasy. Kam could lift pulling guards off their feet and toss them aside. It is lunacy to ask Adams to be like Kam. To do something that he is physically incapable of doing. If you want Kam, then get another Kam. Someone with some heft and size to him.

This is EXACTLY why Kam may be the most underappreciated football player of the last two decades. He could have easily played full time as a Will linebacker, but he had enough versatile coverage skills to allow him to stay on the field for EVERY down and distance. As a true strong safety. He never had to come off the field due to situational scenarios.

The true heart and soul of that legendary defense. It was his run stuffing "in the box" that put teams into predictable passing situations. He didn't always get the tackle, but he sure did blow things up at the point of attack with regularity. He made Avril, Thomas, and Sherman better on third down because of the predictable passing situations that Kam created on first or second down.

Who said anything about him being a Kam clone? He doesn't need to be. You take elements of his game (his strengths) and apply to the defensive scheme however deemed a fit. When's the last time Kam had 9.5 sacks in a season? Your not going to ask him to set the edge or go head up against an offensive lineman, but you use his explosiveness to put pressure on the qb from the linebacker position. Take advantage of his skill set.

Mick063

Reaction score
Who said anything about him being a Kam clone? He doesn't need to be. You take elements of his game (his strengths) and apply to the defensive scheme however deemed a fit. When's the last time Kam had 9.5 sacks in a season? Your not going to ask him to set the edge or go head up against an offensive lineman, but you use his explosiveness to put pressure on the qb from the linebacker position. Take advantage of his skill set.
We sold the farm for a situational player. You just admitted that Adams is not an "every down" player. That is why Kam has EVERYTHING to do with this. I clearly laid out how Kam could play a useful role on EVERY play, every situation, and if you want Adams to be a pseudo linebacker, then he has to have some short yardage ability and he has to take on pulling guards. Otherwise, you are defending a luxury piece. A guy that is only good for third and long. Outside of that situation he is useless.

The team sold the farm for a third and long package player. He makes waaaay too much money and the team gave up waaaay too much draft capital for his extremely limited skill set.

I get it. We are stuck with him so we got to find a way to make the most of it. He is definitely the worst "bang for the buck" guy on the team though. Cripes, we let Bobby Wagner go a couple years too early to keep his sorry arse. Had to make room under the cap. Unlike Adams, Bobby is a real linebacker and is useful on every down. Bobby was probably pissed off that Adams was getting paid like a Hall of Famer. I don't blame him for refusing to take the pay cut. I'll bet he even referenced Adams in his contract negotiations. I know I would have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
We sold the farm for a situational player. You just admitted that Adams is not an "every down" player. That is why Kam has EVERYTHING to do with this. I clearly laid out how Kam could play a useful role on EVERY play, every situation, and if you want Adams to be a pseudo linebacker, then he has to have some short yardage ability and he has to take on pulling guards. Otherwise, you are defending a luxury piece. A guy that is only good for third and long. Outside of that situation he is useless.

The team sold the farm for a third and long package player. He makes waaaay too much money and the team gave up waaaay too much draft capital for his extremely limited skill set.

I get it. We are stuck with him so we got to find a way to make the most of it. He is definitely the worst "bang for the buck" guy on the team though. Cripes, we let Bobby Wagner go a couple years too early to keep his sorry arse. Had to make room under the cap. Unlike Adams, Bobby is a real linebacker and is useful on every down. Bobby was probably pissed off that Adams was getting paid like a Hall of Famer. I don't blame him for refusing to take the pay cut. I'll bet he even referenced Adams in his contract negotiations. I know I would have.

I get all that. But here's the thing. Whether or not you, I or anyone else not affiliated with the team thinks that the Adams trade was a fail is irrelevant. Adams is here for at least one more year and they need to find ways to get him on the field while putting him in a position that maximizes his skill set.

He's our starting strong safety for at least the next year. If his recovery is hindered and he's unavailable by the start of the season, then they have Love who they can insert until he returns. When he returns, it's not inconceivable to see him gets snaps at multiple positions. Pete even said they are working on ways to have 3 safeties in the game at once.

It's like buying a used sports car. It's a blast to drive until it starts to breakdown. Are you going to stop driving it? Or do you do the necessary repairs and get out there and enjoy it until either 1 of 3 things happen? You find someone willing to take it off your hands. You trade it in. Or you put in the work to get it back in top form and enjoy your investment. I guess you could also just get rid of it (cut adams) but I'm sure we can all agree that would be the least favorable outcome to happen.

FB IMG 1680417888156

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
... I guess you could also just get rid of it (cut adams) but I'm sure we can all agree that would be the least favorable outcome to happen.
I can't agree with that.

Cutting your losses in this case means you save the $8.44M you're spending to drive a broke-down vehicle (using your analogy) for what will most likely be a few days this year.

I don't believe JA will provide $8.44M of production value this year.

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I can't agree with that.

Cutting your losses in this case means you save the $8.44M you're spending to drive a broke-down vehicle (using your analogy) for what will most likely be a few days this year.

I don't believe JA will provide $8.44M of production value this year.

That's if they cut him after June 1st. Doing so would also result in 9.7 million in dead money. Having 8.4 post June 1st wouldn't be as advantageous as to say having it now which they could use on potential free agents. The only way I could see it being advantageous is if, like you mentioned, Adams recovery is behind schedule and he is projected to miss a good chunk of the 2023 season. But according to reports, his recovery is going well and he's pushing to be available at the beginning of the season.

Chevy

Reaction score
I've made peace with the fact the Adams trade and contract extension were a huge mistake. I'm not expecting him to be a Pro Bowl player or even start for us, but I think he can be highly effective playing to his skill set in a 3 safety look. He is explosive, relentless, and is high energy. He seems like he would be a fun teammate to have on the field even though he not necessarily a team leader.

He along with the other pass rushers we have added the last two years will be intriguing to watch.

getnasty

Reaction score
People forget how good he was. I'm not sure if he'll get back there but he was a stud. We knock his coverage which isn't elite but still above average. His hands on the other hand are horrible. Let's not be stupid either he's a 3 down player.

Chevy

Reaction score
Here is just a reminder of what he can do if coaches use him to his strengths.

He has the swagger that the Seahawks need, even if he is situational.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Shoulder injuries take time to heal and they are complicated to address through surgery alone. IF Adams is back he is a hell razor near the line of scrimmage.

In theory the cap space would be better used to help the front seven but the team will be using Adams near the box. So we shall see how it shakes out.

getnasty

Reaction score
Respect is earned. It can only be earned by play on the field. Not playing for 27/52 games while being the highest paid safety in the NFL tends to lower the level of respect people have.
Like the dude is missing games with a hangnail or something? You don't lose respect for somebody who misses games for legit injuries incurred while playing his heart our.

You lose respect for someone who doesn't play when they should.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People forget how good he was. I'm not sure if he'll get back there but he was a stud. We knock his coverage which isn't elite but still above average. His hands on the other hand are horrible. Let's not be stupid either he's a 3 down player.
They don't forget, they just refuse to even acknowledge it. He didn't just stop being a good football player because he got injured.

Last edited: