The Narrative...

hawk45

Reaction score
GeekHawk":24yoj6w1 said:
Seems like all over the place, The Narrative on our Seahawks is that since we didn't get all-pros at every position over the offseason we will end up 3rd in the NFCW (or worse). I don't think we actually regressed in any area from last year, and certainly improved in more than one. Why do suppose The Narrative isn't "The Seahawks, after winning the NFCW last year, have either stayed the same or improved in every area and should do well again this year"? I for one think we're getting sold short.

Bit of a straw man. I don't need all pros at every position. But we're weaker at corner, and we were pathetic there last year. At safety we're strong, pending health, but health is a concern. At DL we added bodies, and on paper I think we could be okay there, but the only difference maker for sure is Dunlap, and our pass rush was pathetic except for Dunlap last year, so there's a lot of hope there.

Offensively we look to be stronger, but really it's down to whether Waldron can scheme something Wilson will pull the trigger on when we see 2 high, and whether Carson can defy history and stay healthy.

The Rams are stronger (how can they not be after improving on Goff). The Cards aren't going anywhere.

I can see us winning the division, I can see us in the wild card at best.

We regressed at corner, and that's a pretty important position.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is a great topic. Not sure the problem.

The narrative is the story you start out with going into everything.

We can roll back to this topic at the end of the year and see how far off base we are. What is wrong with that?

Problems:

Norton. He is still here.
CB. Potential depth issues. Not sure if both sides are clearly defined yet.
RB depth.

2nd or 3rd tier importance:
Who is the 'other' receiver?
TE?

Biggest challenger:
Rams. They got better at their biggest weakness (QB) and already own us.

Biggest mystery:
Can our offense improve over last year or was the issue with the offense less the OC and more the HC?
(Especially failing to adjust or adapt the offensive gameplan)

Questions:
The 49ers were better than us going into last year and then were decimated by injuries. Will they recover and take their place back at the top of the division, or will the Rams sit in that throne for now?

Expectations:
With a better 49ers and a much better Rams team, we are going to have to fight to get a wildcard this year but we should get it, just because Wilson + Carroll = at least a wildcard.

John63

Reaction score
pmedic920":25repnhu said:
ESPN simulator says we go 0-8/0-9 to start the season.

I say BS and hope it’s posted on every bulletin board @ VMAV

That was only in 1 of the 100 scenarios they ran.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Every year the media gets on the jock of certain teams. The Seahawks rarely make the list. Willie McGinest said something on Total Access the other day that was pretty astute analysis without trying. He basically said that Seattle is that team that is always good, year in and year out. You expect them to be in the conversation. We are that Steady Eddie every year, but we are not the sexy pick. We aren't trendy, we just win consistently. Worse, we haven't done squat in the playoffs in recent years. So the media - rightfully so - chooses to look elsewhere for that sexy pick. I get it.

I just think it makes it all the more fun when we exceed their expectations. Again.

How many years now do idiots (that actually get paid for their opinions) predict the Seahawks will finish 7-9, 8-8, only to win 10, 11+ games?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The defense could turn out to be even worse than last season. While the pass rush should be better, the LB corp and secondary will be worse. Its going to be another season of shootouts for the offense.

Speaking of the offense, the Oline should be better with Jackson, but Pocic is still the weak link. RB depth may be an issue when Carson gets hurt. Eskridge was drafted to be the solution to the 3rd WR position and he's beat up and hurt now. Metcalf and Lockett need to stay healthy. TE position will be mediocre as usual. And the biggest question mark is Waldron. This is his first time being a legit OC. Is he up to the task? Also, its very rare that a student beats the teacher and the teacher in this case just so happens to be the coach of a division rival.

3rd in the West sounds about right

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":18pwugdo said:
The defense could turn out to be even worse than last season. While the pass rush should be better, the LB corp and secondary will be worse. Its going to be another season of shootouts for the offense.

Speaking of the offense, the Oline should be better with Jackson, but Pocic is still the weak link. RB depth may be an issue when Carson gets hurt. Eskridge was drafted to be the solution to the 3rd WR position and he's beat up and hurt now. Metcalf and Lockett need to stay healthy. TE position will be mediocre as usual. And the biggest question mark is Waldron. This is his first time being a legit OC. Is he up to the task? Also, its very rare that a student beats the teacher and the teacher in this case just so happens to be the coach of a division rival.

Defensively they were able to pick up Hyder and Jones. Offensively Gabe Jackson and Gerald Everett. I don't see how they could regress defensively. They have a nice rotation on the D line now.. Collier due for a break out year. I guarantee he balls out this year

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":2cmyl0oy said:
pittpnthrs":2cmyl0oy said:

Defensively they were able to pick up Hyder and Jones. Offensively Gabe Jackson and Gerald Everett. I don't see how they could regress defensively. They have a nice rotation on the D line now.. Collier due for a break out year. I guarantee he balls out this year

Because the LBs and secondary are worse than last season.

I guarantee Collier will look like he always has. A JAG.

Own The West

Reaction score
Aros":3oc95c7t said:
Every year the media gets on the jock of certain teams. The Seahawks rarely make the list. Willie McGinest said something on Total Access the other day that was pretty astute analysis without trying. He basically said that Seattle is that team that is always good, year in and year out. You expect them to be in the conversation. We are that Steady Eddie every year, but we are not the sexy pick. We aren't trendy, we just win consistently. Worse, we haven't done squat in the playoffs in recent years. So the media - rightfully so - chooses to look elsewhere for that sexy pick. I get it.

I just think it makes it all the more fun when we exceed their expectations. Again.

How many years now do idiots (that actually get paid for their opinions) predict the Seahawks will finish 7-9, 8-8, only to win 10, 11+ games?

So true. And I think a lot of people lose sight of the fact that consistency, not domination, is what makes a team great. Even the '72 Dolphins had 1-score nail biters...

I am confident we will make the playoffs, and then after that it's a single-elimination tournament to get the ring. I like that we don't go all in and blow our salary cap for an incremental bump one year with a five-year rebuild afterwards, but continuously renew from within and field a competitive team year after year.

Will we win the SB this year? Why not us!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
You can have a decent car and make it nicer. However, if you keep having dumb arses driving the car you’ll never get anywhere.

The Standard for the Seahawks is making the playoffs NOT winning the Super Bowl. Some people are okay with that. I am not.

BASF

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1g3cc9fa said:
Biggest mystery:
Can our offense improve over last year or was the issue with the offense less the OC and more the HC?

This is a total cop out on the fact that Russell Wilson did not throw to the open underneath receivers. The biggest mystery is whether or not Wilson will actually take the routes that have been schemed open by the OC and the defense has given him because they believe he will not throw those passes. Love the guy, but he needs to improve this aspect of his game or we will have the same results.

John63

Reaction score
BASF":2fy3ot25 said:
TwistedHusky":2fy3ot25 said:
Biggest mystery:

This is a total cop out on the fact that Russell Wilson did not throw to the open underneath receivers. The biggest mystery is whether or not Wilson will actually take the routes that have been schemed open by the OC and the defense has given him because they believe he will not throw those passes. Love the guy, but he needs to improve this aspect of his game or we will have the same results.

the cop-out is on you as we already know Wilson can and will and has, however, let's not forget the HC has said time and time again he wants to run and throw long chunk plays. This is what PC has said, so sorry to bust your bubble but the guy had it right was it the OC or the HC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4HCpwENDnY 2nd throw of the film., shallow cross to Lockett, and I can show a lot more. As I have pointed out it is easy to say someone is open and a QB should throw it from the film where you see everything from a different angle than the QB. But the question is why does it look like from the QBs vantage point. Also, great someone is open underneath on 3rd and 12 and will get us 5 wow that helps NOT. Just because you think someone is open does not mean it's the right place to throw. Down, Distance matters. Also who you throw 2 matters

https://giphy.com/gifs/WoZt30O12v50...n=Embeds&utm_term=https://www.fieldgulls.com/

Hmm perfect throw to the open underneath guy and guess what, off his hands int. that's one of the reasons PC has said he does not like throwing over the middle.

enough said!!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Did not see any preseason as I was busy with a virus and in bed most of the time. No tv available in bed and most of the time was either high heat or asleep if possible.

That being said, I think it will be an interesting season. I am really wanting badly to beat up on San Fran on Oct 3. My buddy and me are going fishing and watch the game on his bday. He of course is a SF fan. Heck, where we are going another buddy of mine is a SF fan. I may be outmatched by the amount of fans of the opponent. But we are all friends.

As to the players, the additions of last year should meld into their positions and the communication should be a lot better as they have become a better team. I believe that PC probably stressed the need for communication in the cover 2 or Cover 1 if we have the personnel to make that happen.

On offense, usually takes about 2 years for the OC to get his guys into position to excel. We shall see if this is gonna be the case starting today. I ignore the hoopla from mainstream ESPNmediots as they are only looking out to make drama more dramatic. And they lie a lot.

Hope yall have a great day and I may pop in during the game.....I dunno yet.

Peace.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":4tnb84v0 said:
pittpnthrs":4tnb84v0 said:

Might want to try again.