the New Draft thread - post Geno Signing

James in PA

Reaction score
The only issue with this line of thinking is that both Anderson & Richardson could be gone before the pick.

While Carter could be completely removed from their draft board. Based on the information they gather.

So what do you do if none of those guys are an option? And you can't find a trade partner to move down.

Wilson might be your next best option. I would also consider Christian Gonzalez as BPA in that scenario.

Gonzalez has all the desired measurables for a CB & tested well. Most teams are going to have him as their CB1. Teaming him with Tariq could be special.
Fair question. I am going with the assumption that Carter doesn't fall off their draft board. Most mocks I've seen have him only falling just a little bit or not at all. For the Hawks to get arguably the best player in the entire draft at #5 while filling a position of need would be a steal.

But let's say he does fall off and Young, Stroud, Anderson and Richardson are taken 1-4. I find it nearly impossible to believe that John wouldn't be able to find a trade partner with Levis still on the board. So, that's the route I'd probably go.

CactusJack

Reaction score
But let's say he does fall off and Young, Stroud, Anderson and Richardson are taken 1-4. I find it nearly impossible to believe that John wouldn't be able to find a trade partner with Levis still on the board. So, that's the route I'd probably go.
Based on what we know...I say the chances of that playing out are fairly high.

Fans will probably be underwhelmed with Tyree Wilson as the pick. Especially if they pass on Carter. But the current odds would suggest it.

James in PA

Reaction score
I don't want to come across as a Tyree hater, but that's not a player you take in the top 5. I can see picking him up in a trade down, but not at 5. If the hawks would do that as some of these mocks suggest, I'm going to be pissed. At 5, you take one of the two D line studs, a QB, or you trade down. Case closed.

Last edited:

cheese22

Reaction score
The great thing about this draft is that there are only a couple positions of true need that can easily be filled by FA's or mid round picks. They have the freedom to go BPA throughout the draft with a couple exceptions, tackle, cb, de and te, although they still need depth at cb. So, even though Anderson would be an upgrade at end, do they spend a high pick on a position with a lot of young, developing talent or should they focus on an obvious weakness like dt?
If they go qb first, I hope they address dt with 2 of their next 4 or 5 picks. The offense should theoretically improve and the only positions on the def that weren't horrible were de and cb. I get BPA but does that mean you trade a de if you take Anderson? A surplus at de doesn't help with the glaring weakness against the run, unless they then take a few shots at dt early on.
I hope they focus on dt and lb this year and wait till next year to get their wr3, backup rb, te and safety.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawks take Anthony Richardson at #5 IF he's still available. If not, they take Jalen Carter or Will Anderson. They might trade down if they think Richardson will still be there, say, at #8 or so.
Why take Richardson?
* Geno will be asked to mentor him for a couple years, and will do an amazing job developing him, like Alex Smith for Patrick Mahomes.
* I think he is the ONE QB this draft that PC/JS have a man-crush on.
* In his rookie year, PC can (and would) install packages for him that use his running ability, Taysom Hill style. The "lateral bubble screen run/pass option" could be a thing.
* Richardson at WR on a jet-sweep would cause horrible distraction problems for the D, accounting for that option would open up inside RB runs.
* After watching Jalen Hurts convert 4th and 1 repeatedly, having a 99% option for those situations would be a godsend for the Hawks O.
* By his third year, there will be an actual competition for QB1.
* Ceiling would be the second coming of Patrick Mahomes. Never say never. Odds are more like prime Cam Newton, who did have an MVP year in 2015.
* Reasonable possibility, if not Mahomes-level, Jalen Hurts level. That's pretty darn good.
* By accounts I've heard, Richardson would be a fit, character, culture, and work habits wise. Anyone know otherwise?

As another poster said, if they stay at 5, they take Jalen Carter, Will Anderson, or Richardson, whichever is there. Now watch it turn out that PC/JS have a man crush on Bryce Young or CJ Stroud and take one of them...

Jalen Carter's legal troubles are a non-factor radar blip, IMO. I could be wrong... by accounts I read, he was not DUI and the charges are misdemeanor level. Now, leaving the scene is a problem, but that's my take for the moment. The judgment thing, racing with a teammate he knows is DUI, well, that's not a good look, but given the circumstances, that's not a mistake he will ever repeat. We're not talking Rae Carruth here...

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I am not very excited about prospects with the 5th pick that should be there except Carter and the quarterbacks and now Carter is possibly off the board.

Defensively, there's a few linemen I like at #5 but they are much better fits in the 4-3. The edge class is deep but outside of Anderson, I don't know if there's a stand-up end who is worth taking that high.

I'm way more excited about the 20th pick cause there's so many more options with Oline, TE, DT, and Edge on the board.

My hope is a huge trade down from the #5 pick that returns a huge haul of draft picks cause I'm not sold that there's high end talent at #5 that fits Seattle.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I don't want to come across as a Tyree hater, but that's not a player you take in the top 5. I can see picking him up in a trade down, but not at 5. If the hawks would do that as some of these mocks suggest, I'm going to be pissed. At 5, you take one of the two D line studs, a QB, or you trade down. Case closed.
I like Richardson a lot. But most years, he would be a mid-late 1st round pick. Same with Levis.

This year, there are maybe 3 or 4 blue chip prospects. That's it.

Tyree may well end up being a top 5 or 6 guy in this class. Because it's just not a good class compared to most years, unfortunately.

The positive, is that several positions of need (Edge/DL, IOL, ILB) can be found & addressed in this draft.

Last edited:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
IMO, when Pete and John traded Russ, the intent was to stockpile picks for this draft to try and get a franchise QB. Now we have lucked into a top 5 pick. Even with Geno's emergence, he is older and still a one season wonder. I see them following the plan and grabbing a QB. I think they will like Stroud, Richardson and Levis. I hope that they take one of them.

James in PA

Reaction score
If the Hawks don't take a QB with their first pick, I'm totally on board with Hooker later on. That guy looks like Geno 2.0.

I can see it now: "John picks Hooker." (See what I did there?)

OP
OP
Vesuve

Vesuve

Reaction score
Remember folks: we have a 20th in the first also.

Hoping PCJS kill it!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IMO, when Pete and John traded Russ, the intent was to stockpile picks for this draft to try and get a franchise QB. Now we have lucked into a top 5 pick. Even with Geno's emergence, he is older and still a one season wonder. I see them following the plan and grabbing a QB. I think they will like Stroud, Richardson and Levis. I hope that they take one of them.

I'd be completely shocked if we take a QB with the #5 pick, and not just because we re-signed Geno.

If there's one draft narrative of the John and Pete Seahawk ere when it comes to drafting? It's that they covet value.

There was value in taking Russell Wilson in the 3rd, all upside no downside. There was value trading back up to get DK, insane skillset, motor for days and a chip on his shoulder the size of Mt. Rushmore.

Players with very little downside if they don't work out, because the value of not only the skillset, but their intangibles (leadership, maturity, motor). Those things that give you a higher hit rate.

So you gotta dig down deeper into the draft before QB value becomes more evident than past the first big 4.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'd be completely shocked if we take a QB with the #5 pick, and not just because we re-signed Geno.

If there's one draft narrative of the John and Pete Seahawk ere when it comes to drafting? It's that they covet value.

There was value in taking Russell Wilson in the 3rd, all upside no downside. There was value trading back up to get DK, insane skillset, motor for days and a chip on his shoulder the size of Mt. Rushmore.

Players with very little downside if they don't work out, because the value of not only the skillset, but their intangibles (leadership, maturity, motor). Those things that give you a higher hit rate.

So you gotta dig down deeper into the draft before QB value becomes more evident than past the first big 4.
What is more valuable than a stud QB though? In any sort of league wide redraft the top 3 or 4 picks would be a QB.

If they were willing to trade russ to draft Josh Allen at #1, per the reports, it shows the value they place on QB talent. I'm not saying any of these guys are Josh Allen, but if they believe in one of them, the value is there, in my opinion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
What is more valuable than a stud QB though? In any sort of league wide redraft the top 3 or 4 picks would be a QB.

If they were willing to trade russ to draft Josh Allen at #1, per the reports, it shows the value they place on QB talent. I'm not saying any of these guys are Josh Allen, but if they believe in one of them, the value is there, in my opinion.

Right, but the value is in the trade, not the standing pat and risking the pick with no value attached to it to draft a QB at his projected spot.

Now maybe they see the value in one of these QB's skillset and intangibles that's so insanely high that they can't pass him up at 5? That's possible.

But again, with a coach and GM who fancy themselves on the upside of their rebuild to be a serious playoff contended who just resigned their QB? To use a development pick on a QB who isn't going to make an immediate impact? I just don't see it.