This guy is going in the first round !

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fiske is bigger, with longer arms, and a better athlete than DT Calijah Kancey, who was drafted at #19 in the 1st round last year. Yes the medicals may push him down in the draft, but not because of longer arms than Kancey.
Kancey is the exception that proves the rule.

He and David Pollack are the only defensive linemen, period, to have arms that short and be drafted first round since 2003.

David Pollack, of course, was not an interior player.

Kancey, for his part, was of a slightly stouter build (shorter but heavier) and more explosive in testing with a 4.67 40 and a 1.64 10 split vs. Fiske's 4.78 and 1.68.

We don't know what Fiske's 3 cone is as he didn't run one, but Calijah's was an absurd 7.00 flat at 281 pounds. This is among the fastest ever for an interior defensive lineman.

Calling Fiske a better athlete than Kancey is, at a minimum, a questionable declaration.

Fiske has a decent profile, but he would be a massive outlier, and he isn't quite as good as Kancey elsewhere to put him on that same level for the purposes of comparison.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
And, to be clear, I do like Fiske. I do think he has a shot at succeeding. He's obviously productive, obviously strong, obviously high-effort and all that. I just have trouble putting him near the first. Feels like more of a third rounder to me.

Chevy

Reaction score
Kancey is the exception that proves the rule.

He and David Pollack are the only defensive linemen, period, to have arms that short and be drafted first round since 2003.

David Pollack, of course, was not an interior player.

Kancey, for his part, was of a slightly stouter build (shorter but heavier) and more explosive in testing with a 4.67 40 and a 1.64 10 split vs. Fiske's 4.78 and 1.68.

We don't know what Fiske's 3 cone is as he didn't run one, but Calijah's was an absurd 7.00 flat at 281 pounds. This is among the fastest ever for an interior defensive lineman.

Calling Fiske a better athlete than Kancey is, at a minimum, a questionable declaration.

Fiske has a decent profile, but he would be a massive outlier, and he isn't quite as good as Kancey elsewhere to put him on that same level for the purposes of comparison.

I think it's a good comparison, since you consider Fiske a 3rd round prospect based on his short arms. Yet Kancey and his short arms were drafted in the 1st round last year.

Better athlete was a bit of a reach, but I also figured in that Fiske is a bigger man. Fiske weighed in at 292 lbs and Kancey weighed in at 281 lbs. Not a huge difference, but Fiske still had similar testing results carrying an extra 11 pounds on his frame.

The explosive testing results for the two players...
- Kancey 10-yard split 1.64, Fiske 10-yard split 1.68.
- Kancey vertical jump 33.5 inches, Fiske also 33.5 inch vert (at 11 pounds heavier than Kacey)
- Kancey broad jump was 9'4", Fiske was 9'9".

They also has similar stats their last two years in college. So, Fiske had good production two consecutive years, he is not undersized (he played at 300 + pounds), he had a great Senior Bowl week, and he had great testing numbers at the NFL combine. So taking all that into account, he has proven to have more than "a decent profile".

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Fiske may have short arms but his explosiveness off the ball helps mitigate that. There's plenty of tape where he's already in the backfield before the guy blocking him can even get completely out of his stance. Long arms are nice, but if you have a guy checking what you ate for dinner last night before you can even get out of your stance, that's a problem for you.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fiske may have short arms but his explosiveness off the ball helps mitigate that. There's plenty of tape where he's already in the backfield before the guy blocking him can even get completely out of his stance. Long arms are nice, but if you have a guy checking what you ate for dinner last night before you can even get out of your stance, that's a problem for you.
I get it, but this feels like a pretty big overstatement of Fiske's explosion. It's good, but it's probably not good enough to push him into the first with the other red flags he has. If you're playing him interior, he's going to have functional issues with double-teams. He he's on the edge, the explosion isn't as special anymore.

Just feels like a third rounder to me that you take as a rotational gap shooter.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
I totally disagree with you Mael Kiper, Fisker is climbing up most boafds and will go in the bottom of round one. More then likly to a NFC team ! He plays the run well and his speed and hustle will destroy us if he gets selected by the cards or 9ers.

My late night pan of water never lies to Nostrachawker !