Those that still think we made a mistake.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
olyfan63":26a4rygo said:
Sgt. Largent":26a4rygo said:
Obviously the pick was a mistake, but the McDowell pick was no different than the Frank Clark or Bruce Irvin picks.............top 10 talent but available in the middle or bottom of the round because of character issues or trouble in the past.
You couldn't be MORE WRONG about the McDowell pick vs. the Clark and Irvin picks... night and day. Just lumping them altogether if they got any bad press pre-draft.

Clark was clearly a solid pick, and the Seahawks vetted him thoroughly and discounted the politicized bad press Clark was getting. Yes, Clark did some dumb stuff his freshman year at UM, but learned the lesson and paid the price. The DV stuff was a politicized mess that had more to do with Clark having bad judgment in women than any character flaw. By all reports, Clark was a team leader, a hard worker, full-motor guy.

The Irvin pick was a slightly less-solid pick than Clark, but in the end it worked out well for the team and Irvin made key plays in the run to the SB48 win and SB49 appearance. Irvin also had the reputation for being a very hard worker, high-motor guy, and a good teammate. He didn't have quite the rep Clark did as a team leader, but Irvin was very green as a college player. Also on Irvin's side were the circumstances he had to overcome. Pete did his due diligence.

With McDowell, honestly, I got a different vibe, that he took plays off, but was such a tremendous physical talent with motivation and character questions, where Pete and John decided to roll the dice and bet on the Seahawks culture to reach him. I don't know that we've ever gotten the full story on McDowell's head injury and exactly what happened; if the full story ever came out, I hope someone shares it here.

Not all "troubled young men" are alike, and Pete and John have, I believe, put process in place for the team to improve their evaluation of this type of player, and how much "capital" to bet on such projects. The Percy Harvin fiasco was educational for them; I expect the team now quietly and routinely does psych profiles/evaluations that screen potential acquisitions for Cluster B personality disorders and sociopathy. Based on his past history and behavior, Harvin checked many boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder with a high degree of sociopathy.

WR Brandon Marshall is the only all-star athlete/celebrity I know of who has publicly come out acknowledging he has Borderline Personality Disorder. I salute and admire Marshall; having the courage to "come out" and become an advocate, where nobody else ever has, despite it being a widespread condition. Marshall sure tore up the Hawks when he played for the Bears and Dolphins in his All-Pro years.

Wow quite the hindsight revisionist history of accountability for these risky draft picks.

Clark was by far the riskiest of the three picks. He was arrested and charged with domestic violence for punching his pregnant girlfriend in a hotel room. Of which she admitted happened.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... /19157491/

McDowell did nothing close to that coming out of college, he was just labeled a lazy malcontent with authority problems.

So sorry, your "bad vibes" mean nothing in hindsight. All the same risk factors, and Clark was the riskiest of all. Nope. Don't get to say one is great pick but not the other. All three carried character risks. That's why they fell in the draft.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to take the red flag warnings for what they are.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Aros":uqlsnvzu said:
John Schneider doesn't always whiff on draft picks but when he does, it's pretty damn epic.

Fricking hilarious!!!

Who drafts a DT in the first round who immediately goes out and damages himself on a 4 wheeler
We move on and he is arrested ( completely nude).

I guess someone is answering for the good job vetting that nutcase

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2o83jr7n said:
Wow quite the hindsight revisionist history of accountability for these risky draft picks.

Clark was by far the riskiest of the three picks. He was arrested and charged with domestic violence for punching his pregnant girlfriend in a hotel room. Of which she admitted happened.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... /19157491/

McDowell did nothing close to that coming out of college, he was just labeled a lazy malcontent with authority problems.

So sorry, your "bad vibes" mean nothing in hindsight. All the same risk factors, and Clark was the riskiest of all. Nope. Don't get to say one is great pick but not the other. All three carried character risks. That's why they fell in the draft.
You're just out to lunch and invested in your delusional beliefs and inability to discern between different "troubled young men". And nowhere did I say "bad vibes", I think it's you who was all about your "bad vibes" and lacking discernment to see the truth about Clark.

You were also so dead wrong on Frank Clark and can't be honest enough to admit it. Oh well, cling to your delusions. I defended Clark and the pick from Day 1. Meanwhile. Clark played his ass off for the Hawks and got us a haul of draft picks in the trade to KC, and has been money for KC with key plays to reach 2 SBs and win one. Clark was one of the single best draft picks in the history of the franchise.

Irvin, whatever, no real dog in that hunt, Pete and John did their due diligence, pulled the trigger, and Irvin made key plays in the ride to winning SB48.

McDowell, while the red flags were there, we will never know; without the head injury, maybe Pete and John get lucky. After the head injury, McDowell was a fuster-cluck for sure.

Good God, stop swallowing every fake account of Frank Clark's youthful actions hook, line and sinker, while dismissing the *abundant* evidence showing he learned from his mistakes, accepted the consequences, and developed some very positive character traits in the process.

I was right from day 1, you were clueless and remain clueless, stuck in woke media narratives and unable to process facts and read between the lines. Enjoy your clueless and wrong alternate reality on Clark.

Elemas

Reaction score
It happens.

Should’ve just saved the pick for a player of like..LJs caliber. Could’ve at least lasted through the rookie contract before hitting the CFL.