Tim Hasselbeck

bigtrain21

Reaction score
The butthurt about us letting his brother go in 2011 is still very strong in him. Today he was mentioning that Pete Carroll joined the team in 2010 and they went to the playoffs and then they got worse the next season which is totally untrue. We had the same record but clearly the 2011 team made significant strides to anyone paying attention.

He also said we "lucked" into Russell Wilson and that we wouldn't have signed Matt Flynn if we knew what we had. That is also untrue because we signed Matt Flynn well before the draft. We didn't have Russell yet.

I generally am okay with him but he almost seems more angry right now than he was in the first couple years following letting his brother go.

Throwdown

Reaction score
The 2011 team would've beaten the breaks off that 2010 team, even with TJack.

I think the 2011 team was my favorite losing team like ever lol

OP
OP
bigtrain21

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Throwdown":giaptys6 said:
The 2011 team would've beaten the breaks off that 2010 team, even with TJack.

I love the 2010 team for the Beastquake win but yep, Pete's teams have steadily improved every year. The 2011 team wasn't bad they just lost a ton of close games.

Polaris

Reaction score
I hear you about Tim Hasselbeck, and yeah, it explains why until recently he's been so negative about Seattle. He's angry about the "injustice" inflicted on his brother which is ironic because Matt doesn't seem to feel that way! That isn't to say that there wasn't some hard feelings between Matt and the 'hawks, but by and large the seperation seemed mostly amicable.

Point in fact Pete's second 7-9 was much, much better than his first (see the seasonal and week by week DVOA ratings for both the 2010 and 2011 seasons). The 2010 team was really (talentwise) a five win team that greatly outperformed it's talent level motivated by a fresh new coach. The 2011 team struggled initially and then found it's identity about halfway through the season and started being competative in close games (closing the season 5-3 after starting 2-6). The problem with the 2011 Seahawks is they lacked the QB to win close games (the 2011 Seahawks were one of the worst in the NFL that year at winning close games). The DVOA at the end of the season reflects this.

It was the final piece (Russell Wilson) as franchise QB that put the cherry on top and finally lifted Seattle from mediocre/average to playoff contenders and finally champions......but unlike most other franchises, the foundations for a winning franchise were laid down FIRST and then the franchise QB was added on top.

Edit PS: As for "lucking out" on Wilson, John Schneider had his eyes on him as a prospect for almost two years and was willing to overlook his height. In fact John wanted to take him in the second round (if not earlier).

drdiags

Reaction score
Plus they lost that Dec 24th game to the 9ers in a very closely matched game at home and wasn't able to win in OT in the final game against the Cardinals. The 2010 team limped to the finish line, getting blown out by the 9ers and Bucs before beating the equally inept Rams team for the division title. The '10 squad had a terrible 2nd half of the season, the '11 squad had a terrible first half.

Let Tim stew about the what ifs. Its his brother so I can understand the chip on his shoulder. He will just have to deal with it.

nategreat

Reaction score
To be fair, I think if we would have had Hasselbeck for the year T-Jack started, we would have been much better off and would have made the playoffs. But I do like T-Jack as a backup.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was wondering what was up Tim's butt about us. Watching NFL Live or whatever show yesterday...Negative, negative, negative. Teddy Bruschi was the only one on the panel being pro-Seahawk.

kearly

Reaction score
I doubt he holds anything against Seattle. If not for the Seahawks trading for his brother, Matt Hasselbeck ends up a career backup and Tim Hasselbeck becomes even more of a nobody.

I just think he's a mediocre analyst that doesn't do his research, just like so many others.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Matt Hasselbeck's career might have ended behind that 2011 line. Pete did him a favor.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
You have to remember Timmy was holding the clipboard and a witness to his teams getting their asses kicked by Seattle often. Plus if you had his wife harping at you 24/7 you'd have a real negative outlook on life too!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Matt almost assuredly would have been badly injured by the halfway point, that line was atrocious, they would have knocked the male pattern baldness outta him.

The Radish

Reaction score
There was a bit of bad deal between Matty and the team on his release. Before the strike both sides said they were close to a deal. During the strike they must have decided to go another direction but were not allowed to talk to the players so couldn't tell Matt until the strike was over.

From what was said that was the very first thing they did, contact Matt and tell him sorry. It was a bit low class for sure but it didn't hurt him much as he signed a multiyear deal with the Tits, and still played this past season.

I didn't like it at the time and hated the TJack year big time. But business is business and both sides made the best of the deal.

I loved Matt but face it we all knew he was really done as a starter for us. If you are building a complete new team why not start with a new QB too? I wish Matt could have stayed as a backup for us but its obvious the correct decisions were made and was Matt ready to be a backup back then?

And if you're going to be an announcer and do shows involving relatives you need to bow out if you can't be professional. I too was surprised how good Teddy is.

:les:

OP
OP
bigtrain21

bigtrain21

Reaction score
kearly":3jynjli6 said:
I doubt he holds anything against Seattle. If not for the Seahawks trading for his brother, Matt Hasselbeck ends up a career backup and Tim Hasselbeck becomes even more of a nobody.

I just think he's a mediocre analyst that doesn't do his research, just like so many others.

No he definitely is still annoyed by it. He brought up us letting matt go multiple times today. The one where you could tell the most was on the Sedano and Stink podcast.

I definitely agree with your last statement though and those that have said that Matt has handled us letting him go with class.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":17ajvxkt said:
The butthurt about us letting his brother go in 2011 is still very strong in him. Today he was mentioning that Pete Carroll joined the team in 2010 and they went to the playoffs and then they got worse the next season which is totally untrue. We had the same record but clearly the 2011 team made significant strides to anyone paying attention.

He also said we "lucked" into Russell Wilson and that we wouldn't have signed Matt Flynn if we knew what we had. That is also untrue because we signed Matt Flynn well before the draft. We didn't have Russell yet.

I generally am okay with him but he almost seems more angry right now than he was in the first couple years following letting his brother go.

Well if you're going to be completely wrong, Tim, might as well do it in style.

I'm not sure what the Hasselbeck's expect (if this really is motivated by that). Hass turned 36 in 2011 and had already survived one regime change (Holmgren-to-Mora). Not many non-elite QB's survive regime changes, let alone when they're pushing 40. The writing was on the wall the moment they made that deal for Charlie Whitehurst. They were looking for a replacement.

Seattle has to cut ties with Hasselbeck to move on. Times were changing.

Polaris

Reaction score
The Radish":2qaut8u2 said:
There was a bit of bad deal between Matty and the team on his release. Before the strike both sides said they were close to a deal. During the strike they must have decided to go another direction but were not allowed to talk to the players so couldn't tell Matt until the strike was over.

What I was told by Williams (of the Tacoma News Tribune that was the Tribune's then Seattle Beat Reporter), was that Matt was offered a deal that was open until the lockout started: Take it or leave it. However, he was warned that if he didn't ink it by the lockout, the offer would expire with no assurances that it would be offered again....and it wasn't...and Matt didn't quite believe it.

That's what I've been told anyway.

The Radish

Reaction score
Polaris":pf7j4pia said:
The Radish":pf7j4pia said:

What I was told by Williams (of the Tacoma News Tribune that was the Tribune's then Seattle Beat Reporter), was that Matt was offered a deal that was open until the lockout started: Take it or leave it. However, he was warned that if he didn't ink it by the lockout, the offer would expire with no assurances that it would be offered again....and it wasn't...and Matt didn't quite believe it.

That's what I've been told anyway.

That sounds about right. As I recall they offered 2 years and he wanted 3 and neither side would budge. But what the hell he signed with the Tits in just a couple of weeks, did 3 years there and as I said was still playing this last season.

I still truly hope he signs a one day deal to retire a Seahawk. Can you imagine him raising the flag for any game? The crowd would go wild.

:les:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Matt was very complimentary of the team and sounded excited for them just before the SB. Tim needs to get a grip.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1v3n6hgr said:
I dont care much for Tim or Matt's personality to be honest.

Same here. Matt wanted starter money for 2011, it's a good thing we had the more durable TJack who played much of that season with a torn pectoral muscle. Matt also didn't want to compete for a job he wanted to be the man, Pete had Whitehurst in the fold at that time, we signed TJack and Matt Leinart was also slated to compete for the job before he backpedaled and choose to become a backup in Houston.

Pete handled it well treating the outgoing QB with respect and I believe Matt did too but I always wonder if he doesn't have Tim's ear and he isn't bitter about how things ended. As for Tim he's a terrible hack who like Chris Carter shouldn't even have a talking head job.

So many Seahawk fans were hoping for us to draft Locker that season and for Matt to keep starting and mentor him, Matt ended up in that situation but with the Titans who have not thrived since 2011. I am so glad Pete have a different vision for what he wanted at QB and that they drafted Russell.

Latest posts