Tony Stewart hits and kills another driver

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I genuinely can't believe that people are looking at the #45 car as proof of anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJdBd0 ... 1408115901

#1. Tony Stewart is well aware that the car he hit is wrecked, he knows the location. The #45 was only aware of a caution. We've already determined that these cars have poor visibility (especially behind). #45 has an excuse for getting so close in the first place yet he avoids him.

#2. The #45 car is traveling significantly slower at the time of the accident, why in the world Stewart, who knows the location of the crash and can easily see the #45 car slow down and move out of the way is he traveling so fast?

#3. Stewarts trajectory a millisecond prior to the crash is taking him relatively close to the crashed car of Ward. This leads me to believe that Stewart assumed Ward was probably still in his car at the time. Common sense would put a normal person as far away from the crash spot as possible.

#4. Stewart is by far the most talented driver on the track. His situational awareness and abilities allow him to do things most normal drivers couldn't.

#5. Stewart makes an obvious move to avoid intentionally hitting him. By this time it was way too late, the car is too close traveling at too high of a speed to take it off course.

I don't really understand how you could disagree with any of this, but, have at it.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
TXHawk":2ohm3pwf said:
-The Glove-":2ohm3pwf said:
The biggest thing that leads me to believe Stewart had no intent to scare the guy or kick up dirt at him was what #45 said. TS looks to be right behind him following the same line. If #45 saw him at the last second, how much time does TS have to react. Also from the video, I see his tail whipping to the left...obviously too late

True, but Stewart's car was actually several feet higher on the track than the 45 car providing even less room to avoid Ward.

Ward also obviously mistook the 45 car for Tony Stewart's car even though they are different colors (blue and white vs black and white). He started walking towards it and pointing before apparently realizing his mistake as it went by. This to me is further evidence of poor visibility with the dim lighting in that corner of the track with the dirt kicked up in the air and coating visors. In fact he wasn't even pointing at Stewart's car when he was hit. By the time that the 45 car had passed and Stewart's car appeared it looked like Ward realized he was in Stewart's path and was bracing himself to jump backwards. The reason that Ward had come so far down the track was because he was going after the wrong car which was running lower on the track than Stewart's.

First of all, he wasn't pointing at Stewart at the last few seconds because he was diving out of the way. And no, he wasn't pointing at the 45 car at any point.

3 seconds before the hit:

ZJ9ViFz

2 seconds before the hit:

BaSDhye

The 45 was easily able to get out of the way because he was traveling at a significantly lower speed than Stewart.

Also, here's the difference of track location between the 45 (who had no idea there was an accident there) and Stewart (who was well aware of the accident location and traveling at a higher speed)

B6ip2

TXHawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1j35hs31 said:
#1. Tony Stewart is well aware that the car he hit is wrecked, he knows the location. The #45 was only aware of a caution. We've already determined that these cars have poor visibility (especially behind). #45 has an excuse for getting so close in the first place yet he avoids him.

You know this how? Their cars didn't appear to touch in the video and the race steward didn't think they did. And since Ward's wreck took place behind him and his car has no mirrors or radios how is it that Stewart was supposed to know that Ward hit the wall? By sensing a disturbance in the Force? Psychic intuition? Eyes in the back of his head? You are attempting to give him near supernatural powers to claim he must have had perfect situational awareness. Stewart didn't have the benefit of watching a Youtube video of the crash as he came around the track on the caution.

#2. The #45 car is traveling significantly slower at the time of the accident, why in the world Stewart, who knows the location of the crash and can easily see the #45 car slow down and move out of the way is he traveling so fast?

You can't see any actions the 45 car takes prior to entering the video and he exits the video on the same line as he entered it. He is no lower on the track. And there is no discernable difference in speed between his car and Stewart's car, much less a significant one.

#3. Stewarts trajectory a millisecond prior to the crash is taking him relatively close to the crashed car of Ward. This leads me to believe that Stewart assumed Ward was probably still in his car at the time. Common sense would put a normal person as far away from the crash spot as possible.

As your gif shows Stewart was maybe two or three feet higher on the track than the 45 and would have easily missed the crash. At least one other car passed by the wreck much higher on the track after Ward had exited his car but before he had started descending down it.

#4. Stewart is by far the most talented driver on the track. His situational awareness and abilities allow him to do things most normal drivers couldn't.

For starters I think you are underestimating ths skill of some of these dirt track racers. Stewart doesn't necessarily dominate these races; they are usually quite competitive which is why he likes to race in them. Sprint cars are 800 hp beasts that are extremely difficult to master and some of the drivers who do nothing other than race them are very good at it. Many have spent years racing on the same local tracks and know every bump on them. Stewart was the outsider who probably had less familiarity with the track and the tendencies of the other drivers than anyone else on the track.

#5. Stewart makes an obvious move to avoid intentionally hitting him. By this time it was way too late, the car is too close traveling at too high of a speed to take it off course.

I heard a report on ESPN where the reporter said the race steward told him he thought Stewart was running at an appropriate speed after the caution came out. There was nothing reckless or unsafe about Stewart's speed or position on the track.

I don't think there's any question that Ward initially came down after the 45 car by mistake. The only reason that car didn't hit him is because Ward hadn't placed himself in the path of that car the way he had Stewart's car.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Whether Stewart hit Ward's car doesn't matter. You don't think Stewart is aware of his position on the track and that Ward had no choice but to wreck? You don't think he knows that he's pushing Ward to the edge of the track?

You obviously think Stewart got to where he is as a professional driver through complete luck. Not incredible situational awareness and talent.

Just because you possess absolutely no great talent in anything doesn't mean that Tony Stewart doesn't and for you for one second to think that Stewart is not aware of Ward's wreck is to be ignorant of what makes Stewart one of the top drivers.

---

#45 is significantly slower than Stewarts. I once again have to apologize, most humans are able to see when a car is going faster than another car. You do not possess that ability and I apologize.

---

Two or three feet higher? Who's feet? A giant's?

---

I'm not underestimating the skill of the other drivers, they are all relatively talented. Tony Stewart has always been a top driver, you don't think he was a successful sprint car driver as well? He's one of only TWO drivers in the HISTORY of racing to win the 'Triple Crown' in the same year (Sprint, Midget, Silver). He's not just some pedestrian sprint car driver.

---

TXHawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2iodpp87 said:
Whether Stewart hit Ward's car doesn't matter. You don't think Stewart is aware of his position on the track and that Ward had no choice but to wreck? You don't think he knows that he's pushing Ward to the edge of the track?

You obviously think Stewart got to where he is as a professional driver through complete luck. Not incredible situational awareness and talent.

Just because you possess absolutely no great talent in anything doesn't mean that Tony Stewart doesn't and for you for one second to think that Stewart is not aware of Ward's wreck is to be ignorant of what makes Stewart one of the top drivers.

---

#45 is significantly slower than Stewarts. I once again have to apologize, most humans are able to see when a car is going faster than another car. You do not possess that ability and I apologize.

---

Two or three feet higher? Who's feet? A giant's?

---

I'm not underestimating the skill of the other drivers, they are all relatively talented. Tony Stewart has always been a top driver, you don't think he was a successful sprint car driver as well? He's one of only TWO drivers in the HISTORY of racing to win the 'Triple Crown' in the same year (Sprint, Midget, Silver). He's not just some pedestrian sprint car driver.

---

Ah, resorting to personal insults. The ultimate sign of a losing argument.

You have nothing to support anything you are saying, Nada. Zip. It's all rank speculation and mind reading.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Tired of responding to your absolute nonsense.

I have consistently responded to you with proof and obvious, observable evidence and all you can reply with is feelings and thoughts that are not backed by anything but you're obvious love of Stewart.

I'm insulting you now because you think you're making points and you're not. It's difficult to argue when you consistently deny obvious things.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
SonicHawk":nbwhnjh7 said:
Tired of responding to your absolute nonsense.

I have consistently responded to you with proof and obvious, observable evidence and all you can reply with is feelings and thoughts that are not backed by anything but you're obvious love of Stewart.

I'm insulting you now because you think you're making points and you're not. It's difficult to argue when you consistently deny obvious things.

Wow pot meet kettle. After reading through all of this its pretty clear you have your mind set on one view and only that view. You have never been open to the possibility that a guy doing something stupid eneded up getting killed.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
It was a terrible thing. Lessons are learned from terrible things.

I love racing of all kinds and I hate seeing stuff like this. Here is to hoping this tragedy will be that lesson to every driver/racer out there. Stay in your car unless it is on fire, and leave the confrontations for after the race.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBCdianna/status/514852908270354432[/tweet]

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Dude, literally posted the story 2 posts above.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2ho7tfpa said:

I love racing of all kinds and I hate seeing stuff like this. Here is to hoping this tragedy will be that lesson to every driver/racer out there. Stay in your car unless it is on fire, and leave the confrontations for after the race.

Maybe it will also be a lesson to everyone who thinks they know what someone's intent was.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
volsunghawk":14isha1z said:
Largent80":14isha1z said:

Maybe it will also be a lesson to everyone who thinks they know what someone's intent was.

Of course. How could anyone think Tony Stewart intended to kill Ward?

TXHawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1ayhqoei said:
I am happy to pass along the report a Grand Jury has decided not to indict Tony Stewart. They had access to much more evidence than we ever did. Accidents are horrible and lessons can be learned, let's hope that this is prevented in the future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/sport ... .html?_r=0

Changed your tune have you? I thought you read his mind and knew his intention was to buzz the kid and should be prosecuted for it.

SonicHawk":1ayhqoei said:
This was involuntary manslaughter and should be prosecuted as such.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I stand by my initial thoughts and perception of the case. I'm glad that the grand jury took a look at it and with more information than I had access to came to that conclusion.

I however, still have my own personal beliefs. Not going to apologize for taking the information that I had and coming to a conclusion.

This doesn't prove you right. You have no reason to gloat.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
SonicHawk":152iy9jp said:
I stand by my initial thoughts and perception of the case. I'm glad that the grand jury took a look at it and with more information than I had access to came to that conclusion.

I however, still have my own personal beliefs. Not going to apologize for taking the information that I had and coming to a conclusion.

All my argument was the entire time was that we need to let the facts come out more and for some reason you had a huge problem with me taking that stance.

NorCalSeahawkFan

Reaction score
Smoking pot is always a good idea when you get into a car with 750-800 hp on a short dirt track. moron :34853_doh:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2yh2qopp said:
SonicHawk":2yh2qopp said:

All my argument was the entire time was that we need to let the facts come out more and for some reason you had a huge problem with me taking that stance.

More facts still haven't come out. So I'm assuming you're waiting for them still.

Oh, and thanks for releasing the toxicology which mentions he had marijuana in his system. Which obviously means he was red-eyed and high. No fault by Stewart! Kid was high as "heck". No mention of the fact that marijuana can be detected up to about 90 days later for routine participants.

I guarantee you that just like OJ, Stewart will be paying that family a hefty chunk of cash.

Latest posts