Tony Stewart hits and kills another driver

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Not on top of Ward's body.

I truly hope the investigation concludes through evidence that this was simply a terrible tragedy and Stewart did not have any intention of 'buzzing' or instigating anything with Ward.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3itpmu6v said:
Not on top of Ward's body.

I truly hope the investigation concludes through evidence that this was simply a terrible tragedy and Stewart did not have any intention of 'buzzing' or instigating anything with Ward.

No shit. But you say it as if it was completely avoidable once he saw Ward

SonicHawk

Reaction score
You're making the story too small.

I don't know when he actually is able to see Ward.

Here's what I know:

Stewart was aware it was a caution flag
Stewart was aware that he was the one who knocked Ward into the wall
Stewart is a professional at the top of his game and he doesn't want some hot-head kid showing him up
Stewart has a history of poor safety choices and being an asshole
Stewart has the best gear and equipment
Stewart is an exceptional driver
Stewart has excellent vision, awareness and feel
This is not Stewart's first race.

We only see Stewart and Ward for a split second before the accident on the video. It's clear Ward made a mistake by being in the middle of the track, it's also clear that the other, less experienced driver was able to avoid him.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1d2mwp0s said:
What does being banned have to do with anything?

It means that it was such an egregious infraction that Ward would have been done racing for the remainder of the season. That's what it has to do with it.

Msfann

Reaction score
It looked like a horrible accident to me, caused by the kid making a really dumb mistake and running out onto the track in anger. I don't know what else Stewart could have done to avoid hitting him.

The kid should not have put himself in that situation.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2nzzct29 said:
SonicHawk":2nzzct29 said:
What does being banned have to do with anything?

It means that it was such an egregious infraction that Ward would have been done racing for the remainder of the season. That's what it has to do with it.

Yeah, because it's not safe. That doesn't absolve Stewart of fault.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
At some point OWNERSHIP of what happened needs to take place. Only it can't because the person that caused his own death is in fact dead.

He knew the rules, and chose to put his life on the line for what?...an accident that he walked away from that had no bearing on anything except the outcome of a single race. He was on the outside and behind Stewart. He hit his front tire on Stewarts rear tire. HIS FAULT. Then he breaks all the rules and gets out, and like an idiot, stammers around in the dark.

Not too bright.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
So he deserves to die? You've never done something foolish?

If a bicyclist is on the freeway and gesture at him to get off the freeway, and by doing that gesture, hit and kill him... that's not the bicyclists fault. That's negligence.

If I'm driving the speed limit and a bicyclist jumps in front of me while I have the right away and I can't help but run into him... that's an accident.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
SonicHawk,

You don't know what happened in this instance though. I agree with you that if Tony Stewart was sending a message by speeding up and swerving near him he should be prosecuted.

If Stewart didn't see him which is entirely possible given what the kid was wearing at night and where he was on the track then it definitely is not his fault. Next time you are driving on the freeway at night check out how hard it would be to see someone wearing what he was wearing. I realize that he is a professional drive but it doesn't mean he has significantly better eyes than we do.

The problem is we don't know at this time. I hope they record radio traffic for the track and we can hear what was said to Tony and what he was saying.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I agree, we don't know at this time. I'm not in anyway ready to throw the book at Stewart. But this instant dismissal of the possibility is ridiculous.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1sytwdff said:
I agree, we don't know at this time. I'm not in anyway ready to throw the book at Stewart. But this instant dismissal of the possibility is ridiculous.

Well I totally agree with that. It is definitely possible. You were kind of going the other way on your comments though.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
BEFORE EVERY race, the rules are gone over with all the drivers and crews in attendance. Each driver and crewman knows exactly what they are to do and what not to do.

If you step outside of those rules it is no mans land. ESPECIALLY at night, and even MORE especially a sprint car race on clay.

I have been involved in racing for over 55 years and I have NEVER seen another driver do that in that type of race. On a Nascar paved track in broad daylight, yes, everyone has seen it.

But at a small track that is underlit, in a sprintcar?....Nope......He was more of a hothead than Stewart supposedly is.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
If nothing else comes out of this. I hope that these drivers learn not to get out of their car on the track because of how dangerous it can be. Especially in a night race and wearing a dark fire suit. I also hope they put some reflective material on the fire suits from now on.

Spounge84

Reaction score
SonicHawk":34yalh7i said:
I agree, we don't know at this time. I'm not in anyway ready to throw the book at Stewart.

Really? That's not what you said earlier today.

SonicHawk":34yalh7i said:
This was involuntary manslaughter and should be prosecuted as such.

F32ec166c7bc09e67ced6b07355ee9793dd8ed6b5efb6d031b

Tupps

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2qfllpmk said:
1) Stewart was aware it was a caution flag
2) Stewart was aware that he was the one who knocked Ward into the wall
3) Stewart is a professional at the top of his game and he doesn't want some hot-head kid showing him up
4) Stewart has a history of poor safety choices and being an asshole
5) Stewart has the best gear and equipment
6) Stewart is an exceptional driver
7) Stewart has excellent vision, awareness and feel
8) This is not Stewart's first race.
9) t's also clear that the other, less experienced driver was able to avoid him.

Disclaimer: I have never watched Nascar nor have a clue about auto racing other than the whole driving straight and then turning to the left thing.

1) This can reasonably be assumed.

2) Not necessarily. Only Stewart could speak to this. Regardless, I believe you are concluding that he knew the location of Ward's vehicle and therefore knew or should have known where Ward the individual was, or at least the general location. I'm not sure we have any evidence that this was the case.

3) Based upon what I have seen, the first part is irrelevant and the second calls for speculation.

4) I'm sure there is evidence of this, but what is the connection? i.e. specifically what did Stewart do in this case that reflected a poor safety choice? Again keep in mind I know nothing about racing. As for him being an asshole, that's fine, but how is that relevant? (I don't buy the hot-head kid argument, as I am struggling to understand how or why Stewart would be intimidated by a driver he just wrecked? Especially since in this case Ward was a pedestrian while Stewart was in a vehicle. Or am I missing something about racing and egos or whatnot?)

5-8) All speak to Stewart's experience and ability as a driver, but are largely irrelevant to the current situation. My first question would be, that's all well and good, but how experienced or skilled is Mr. Stewart at avoiding angry pedestrians on a race track? I think you are assuming that Stewart knew Ward was on the track, and had plenty of time to take corrective action (stop driving, pull over, etc.). If there is evidence of this, then that should be the argument right? It does raise the question of why the other driver narrowly missed Ward though.

9) I would say this is irrelevant. Ward was a moving target here. It would be just as accurate to say that based upon the video the less experienced driver got lucky.

I don't think we have enough to condemn the man based upon the evidence I have seen. From a civil perspective, assuming we were utilizing comparative negligence in lieu of contributory, it would be a difficult sell to say Stewart had a significant portion of the fault in this case.

I guess I would caution everyone on pulling a Tom Smykowski here.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3kw4gvj0 said:
Like driving in the snow, Stewart was on a trajectory through the corner at about half speed. By the time he saw the kid he would have had to make the only correction his muscle memory would have had and burp the throttle to try and avoid him. But it was too late.

This kid was wearing a black driving suit and was at a place on the track that other drivers would not expect him to be. Safety policies dictate that not even track safety personnel can traverse the racing surface until the red flag, and this kid put himself in harm's way getting out of his car during the yellow. The ONLY place that a sprint car driver is safe on the track is strapped into car with roll bars around them. What this unfortunate driver did was to effectively render himself defenseless by getting out. He paid the ultimate price for it.

Sadness should be the emotion here, not anger.

Well said, sums it up nicely.

Ward made a horrible horrible mistake, and unfortunately he paid the ultimate price for it. :(

Damn, feel so bad for his family and friends. RIP

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
I'm done arguing about it. I don't know how anyone can vilify Stewart from what is known and what has been released.

I was actually awake skimming my twitter feed at about 2 in the morning when I saw it reported by SportsCenter. It is a truly sad story and there are obviously no winners in this situation. I hope Ward's family is coping and has the support of the racing community in their area.

A

Anonymous

Hey Sonic, have you ever been to a Sprint Car race?

You should really go sometime, but wait until it's a World of Outlaws event or an ASCS event, so there will be more cars to check out. Buy the pit pass so you can walk around in the pits and sit right next to the track in the pit stands. Not sure where you live but name the general area and I'll recommend a track. If it's Seattle, it's going to be Skagit or Elma (Grey's Harbor). Ohio and Pennsylvania has the BEST sprint car racing in the east, but there are awesome tracks all over the place, even Australia.

When you go to the pit gate and pay your $35.00 entry fee and get your pink wristband, you'll be asked to sign a document with a lot of fine print on it. They will give you copies to take home if you request it. Read it and tell me if safety regulations and conduct aren't a huge concern, and whether you think any part of the activities are anything other than "at your own risk".

Then walk up to and, ask to assist, a young local racer unload and prepare his car. It will be fun.

If you ask, he'll tell you that he spent $300 for one right rear tire. "Wow!?" you'll say. In fact, he'll have spent about $5,000 for a used rolling chassis (with axles and nerfs), and his used 360 motor cost him around $10,000. You can help him adjust his $450 aircraft aluminum top wing and carefully adjust his air pressure with a $100 digital gauge that reads in .25-lb increments. Help him pour the prohibitively-expensive methyl alcohol in his tank and watch as he jumps into his $750 Sparko flame retardant racing suit and cinches-up the laces of his $285.00 Simpson racing shoes and puts on his $680 Helmet. He might ask your help as he slides into his $900 racing seat with the $250, 5-point Sparko harness set and his $700 HAANS device. You'll ask yourself "why would this kid want to break the rules like that when all this money has been spent?"

While taking all that in, and seeing the attention to detail that is put into checking every last little thing before the car leaves the pits, you can watch the etiquette displayed by the other drivers and crews putting a show on for the fans. Here the announcer say cool stuff. It's a blast.

After he comes in and you get to smell that alcohol exhaust and hear that beasty engine rumbling the earth, you'll see the steam rolling off the tires and smell the melted rubber. After he hops out soaking in sweat you can ask him how important it is to finish as high as he can to receive the biggest payout to offset his fuel and maintenance costs. Ask how important all this money from sponsors is to his operation and how important it is to make a good showing for them, the track and fans. Ask him how important championship points are to him. Ask him what he'd do if another driver bumped into him.

You can also ask him if a guy pinches him off and spins him out whether he would run out onto the track, abandoning all the money he and sponsors put in (not to mention a trailer and a truck and gas to pull it...) to make asshole faces and gestures at a 3-time Nascar champion driver he idolizes while standing in his lane of travel. Or, if he'd just sit safely in his car until the tow truck came to snatch him up and take him to the pits. Oh, and on the way, he can wave to the crowd telling them he is okay, and may even get a mic in his face so he can thank his sponsors and he can tell the 8500 folks in the stands how cool it was to race on the same track with a 3-time NASCAR champion. And stay ahead of him for a few laps!!!

Nope, sorry. That kid, Ward Jr., is a damn spoiled idiot. His priorities were screwed up, daddy paid for everything, he got caught up in the moment, got angry, and let his emotions ruin what could have been a great night for he and his family, and his sponsors. Spoiled hot-head brat. Sorry, but it is true. I have seen and raced with his type.

In all seriousness, If it was my kid, I would be devastated by embarrassment. I'd apologize to Stewart for the pain my son caused him with all this BS media circus.

If you ask me, Tony Stewart is the victim here. (and I say that, but wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.)

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think something else worth mentioning is that Ward's vehicle was clipped by Stewart's right-rear tire. I thought I read somewhere that they wound up replacing Stewart's tire (can anyone confirm this?). I wonder if that had anything to do with Stewart's car fishtailing into Ward as well. Of course, that can be spun into a motive for Stewart to hit him too.

*shrugs*....I don't know shit. But I don't automatically assume the worst in people or think that somebody, even a supposed hot-head like Stewart, would intentionally toy with somebody's life like that especially when he's smart enough to know damn well that he could lose the race by wrecking his vehicle and end his career in racing altogether. I think he likes winning and racing too much to do that.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
This is ridiculous. So many excuses for someone who drives fast for a living.