TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
The only way this deal makes sense is:

1. We win the Super bowl.
2. He is extended before free agency.

As a coach I love Pete Carroll but as a trader I hate him. He got where we are by having great drafts. Trading away your future rarely works just ask Denver.
People are acting like we just traded for a ham sandwich. The player is really good.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
The only way this deal makes sense is:

1. We win the Super bowl.
2. He is extended before free agency.

As a coach I love Pete Carroll but as a trader I hate him. He got where we are by having great drafts. Trading away your future rarely works just ask Denver.
Trading a 2nd rd pick = must win the SB? Not sure that maps our on the logic tree. Our 2nd is likely closer to a 3rd.

JS/Pete have lost their share of trades, but have won a few as well. Marshawn & Diggs come to mind off the top. This one was a no brainer quite honestly.

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
i think they should have went all in with Sweat or Chase if the Redskins were shopping one of them. I'll be pissed if someone else pick one of these players and we got Leonard Williams w/ 2nd & 5th.
Damn, the Bears only gave up a 2nd round pick for Montez Sweat. I would have prefer Sweat to Williams. Very good pass rush and great against the run. He is younger and i dont think he hit his prime yet. This makes more sense for the Seahawks. Not sure what the Bears are doing, why trade for a guy when you know your season is already over. Why not just wait till the end of the season to go after Sweat.

Rat

Reaction score
I thought Sweat was a nice move for the Bears until I saw he was a UFA after the season. I assumed he had years left.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Damn, the Bears only gave up a 2nd round pick for Montez Sweat. I would have prefer Sweat to Williams. Very good pass rush and great against the run. He is younger and i dont think he hit his prime yet. This makes more sense for the Seahawks. Not sure what the Bears are doing, why trade for a guy when you know your season is already over. Why not just wait till the end of the season to go after Sweat.
He's a rental who is going to command a massive contract.

rcaido

Reaction score
I thought Sweat was a nice move for the Bears until I saw he was a UFA after the season. I assumed he had years left.
Nope, same year as LJ Collier. We traded our draft pick to Green Bay and they picked Safety Savage which we needed or we could have got Montez Sweat.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Maybe they will see what the Commanders want for Chase Young...

rcaido

Reaction score
He's a rental who is going to command a massive contract.
Isn't that the same for Williams. A rental? Williams was getting paid 20 million a year w/ the Giants. His contract will be high too if he balls out, which would be a good thing.

warden

Reaction score
The Bears second round pick is like a first rounder. Our second round pick is more like a third rounder. You are also missing the point, we don’t have the cap for Sweat, to make Williams work, the Giants absorb his salary

warden

Reaction score
There is a good chance that the Bears and Seahawks reached out to the player’s agent before making the trade. The trading team would give them permission to do so

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Williams is almost a sure fire bet to be a contributor on defense. A difference maker. What are the odds of a late second round or fifth round pick doing the same?

chrispy

Reaction score
Yes, I would have been happy to have landed Sweat; he's an excellent player at a premier position. Whether I would have preferred him to Williams depends on what it would have taken.
Sweats contract has a base of 11.5 mil and cap hit of 6.5 (or something close depending on where you look). It would have required Commanders to eat his entire salary/cap as NYG did for LW. I think it's pretty easy to think this through and see JS was probably driving the truck on these DL trades considering the timing, like dominoes falling. He chose LW and it was probably because NYG were willing to eat the cap hit for this year and WaDC wasn't. This gives JS the flexibility to re-sign LW or not. To get Sweat, he'd have probably had to re-work some other cap space and also extend Sweat to fit in under the cap. It would have required a long-term commitment to Sweat and whoever else he restructured. It's logical to assume JS was the conductor behind it all and got what he wanted.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
You said I was taking a glass half-empty view. I was just pointing out what another team gave up to get a defensive lineman. I don't know what I'd prefer because I don't know what we would have had to give up, but I do like Sweat a lot. I like Williams too.
LOL Well if you like Williams too, what the Seahawks gave up for him & his versatility is actually a pretty sweet deal= No Sweat. ;-)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Other than 'good that they did something' - I don't know much about the dude -

I've asked 1 time before - but why did we let Clowney go?
Clowney was a UFA and wanted the team to pay him more than the team thought he was worth. The team did not let him go, they were just not willing to pay him what he wanted to be paid. As it turned out neither were other teams.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Isn't that the same for Williams. A rental? Williams was getting paid 20 million a year w/ the Giants. His contract will be high too if he balls out, which would be a good thing.
Well, are the Bears paying a huge portion of the salary like the Giants are with Williams?