TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

vonstout

Reaction score
He's a FA after this year from what I read. The trade grade article I read said that it was a steep price to pay for a very likely rental player.

GemCity

Reaction score
The haters need to think about this a different way.

The Seahawks make moves to make their team better and compete for championships.

The Mariners look in trash cans to find half eaten sandwiches.

I'll take the Seahawks way please.
What? Why not a Dangerwich?? Ahhh you did say trash cans…my bad

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The Giants are miserable and I think it contributes to Leonard’s low production this season. I’m eager to see him with all our talent around him.

I’m also eager to see how much of this year’s salary NY pays. Next year looks pretty sweet, only $5.9m base and no bonus due.

I think you read that wrong.
To clear some cap space in 2022, the Giants turned some of Williams's 2022 salary into a bonus and added a void year in 2024. This way, they were able spread out Williams's cap impact from 2022 over three years and add almost $12M of 2022 cap space.

The line about Williams's contract in 2024 you saw isn't nothing left from the bonus and $5.9M in salary. It's nothing in salary (it's a void year) and $5.9M of bonus from the 2022 restructuring. The Seahawks won't be paying that. The bonus is part of the dead money the Giants will now have on their cap.

Overall, I think this is a great move akin to getting Micheal Bennet. Bonafide stud. Only 29. Under contract for 2 years. And don’t we have an extra second from Denver?

Williams is not under contract for two years. He's a free agent after the Seahawks' season ends.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think the Giants used a void year. He signed a 3 year extension in March of 21.

Then he's not under contract for that year truly. It's really a half year rental. I'll hold out and wait until the deal is done because once it's done we should know more definite information.

It does sound like they are paying a large amount of his salary, so the more they pay the more I'll like it.

GemCity

Reaction score
The 2nd is steep but as it’s been mentioned, the draft is a crapshoot.

With some of the D-linemen in the draft that were being praised on here, I’m down with doing what we did!

Let’s get it!!!

Okieseahawk

Reaction score
This is a good move for the D line -haters gonna hate. Now how about a shot in the arm for the Offense?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Two years, and NY is likely footing the bill. Seattle needed a DL and doesn't have much money. So getting a quality player and having the source pay for them, costs capital.

Not two years. Williams's contract has a 2024 void year from the restructuring in 2022. He is a free agent after this season.

Jville

Reaction score
Then he's not under contract for that year truly. It's really a half year rental. I'll hold out and wait until the deal is done because once it's done we should know more definite information.

It does sound like they are paying a large amount of his salary, so the more they pay the more I'll like it.

I'm thinking there is more to come on this story.

kidhawk

Reaction score
OTC contract

Under contract thru 2024, due $5.9M next year
again, that says void with a pro-rated bonus which counts against the cap. It doesn't have a salary. Every player must have a salary listed to be under contract. Of course his contract is currently being reworked, so we will have to wait and see what it looks like when they are done

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It appears I read it wrong. I thought his deal was through 2024. It's not, it's 2023. He's owed more than Seattle can pay for sure though.
710 needs to update their report then. They said several times it's thru 2024.
Meh, I love the trade, and who's to say they won't extend him? Also, have we not learned to wait a day or two until we get the ACTUAL DETAILS?

Just sayin.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Can we use him similarly to how SF use’s Armstead?

Latest posts