Trade up for Isaiah Simmons

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Wizofwest":23sfrqdh said:
For anyone looking to trade a draft away for one player I have two words for ya....

Aaron Curry

The can't miss, elite, most pro ready player of the 2009 draft.

I was proposing a trade up similar to the one for Julio, not a full-on Ditka trade.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Largent80":3qkjvz8f said:
I have a better one...... Herschel Walker. You DON'T mortgage a draft for one player and if they did this, how do you think it would go over in the locker room?

The locker room would be angry about Seattle drafting a playmaking defender with extreme positional versatility? Come on. That's really a big reach.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Wizofwest":ynha2evq said:
For anyone looking to trade a draft away for one player I have two words for ya....

Aaron Curry

^this! X100!
Curry was the safest pick in the draft. Every year there are draft busts that are heralded as no brainer picks. Curry was the safest pick in that years draft.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":gj05oiqs said:
Wizofwest":gj05oiqs said:

Aaron Curry

^this! X100!
Curry was the safest pick in the draft. Every year there are draft busts that are heralded as no brainer picks. Curry was the safest pick in that years draft.

I fail to see how this relates. Like, yeah, a player busted once upon a time.

Again, no one is trading an entire draft away. I didn't think people would take the title this literally, as if anyone in their right mind would make a Ricky Williams trade for a non-QB in today's NFL. Trading up for a blue chip prospect isn't always a terrible move.

If Simmons falls to like, pick #7 or #9, I'm saying that I personally think it would be a good move to inquire about trading 27 and next years first plus a sweetener for that pick and taking Simmons. I'm NOT saying that it's likely or would happen in a million years. I realize that this is risky, but Simmons is supremely versatile and has legitimate all-star potential at multiple spots. The defense needs talent, and Simmons can do it all - he can cover, he can tackle, he can rush the passer. You can play him at safety, you can play him at any linebacker spot, you can have him blitz and do it very effectively.

A trade up to 7 per the Rich Hill chart would likely mean the Seahawks give up 27, next years first, and likely something like pick 101 at the end of the third this year. That actually gives the Panthers 466 points in value and the Seahawks 426 points, assuming that the 2021 first being given to Carolina is also at pick 27.

So:

SEA receives pick 7 (Isaiah Simmons)
CAR receives pick 27, 101, 2021 first rounder.

That's... not really all that bad for a blue chip prospect under a rookie salary.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2x103jer said:
oldhawkfan":2x103jer said:
Wizofwest":2x103jer said:

Aaron Curry

^this! X100!

Again, no one is trading an entire draft away. I didn't think people would take the title this literally, as if anyone in their right mind would make a Ricky Williams trade for a non-QB in today's NFL. Trading up for a blue chip prospect isn't always a terrible move.

If Simmons falls to like, pick #7 or #9, I'm saying that I personally think it would be a good move to inquire about trading 27 and next years first plus a sweetener for that pick and taking Simmons. I'm NOT saying that it's likely or would happen in a million years. I realize that this is risky, but Simmons is supremely versatile and has legitimate all-star potential at multiple spots. The defense needs talent, and Simmons can do it all - he can cover, he can tackle, he can rush the passer. You can play him at safety, you can play him at any linebacker spot, you can have him blitz and do it very effectively.

A trade up to 7 per the Rich Hill chart would likely mean the Seahawks give up 27, next years first, and likely something like pick 101 at the end of the third this year. That actually gives the Panthers 466 points in value and the Seahawks 426 points, assuming that the 2021 first being given to Carolina is also at pick 27.

So:

That's... not really all that bad for a blue chip prospect under a rookie salary.

It relates because it’s an example of a very highly touted draft prospect that busted out of the league. Interestingly enough, curry like Simmons was also a LB. at the time that Curry was drafted, the Seahawks had Julian Peterson on the roster. After Curry was drafted, they got rid of Peterson.
At this point in time, Simmons is nothing more than a prospect. He is a player with potential. Potential does not always translate into success. I can give you a dozen more examples of highly touted draft picks that amounted to nothing.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1mus16dw said:
Maelstrom787":1mus16dw said:
oldhawkfan":1mus16dw said:
Wizofwest":1mus16dw said:

Aaron Curry

^this! X100!

So:

It relates because it’s an example of a very highly touted draft prospect that busted out of the league. Interestingly enough, curry like Simmons was also a LB. at the time that Curry was drafted, the Seahawks had Julian Peterson on the roster. After Curry was drafted, they got rid of Peterson.
At this point in time, Simmons is nothing more than a prospect. He is a player with potential. Potential does not always translate into success. I can give you a dozen more examples of highly touted draft picks that amounted to nothing.

Well, yes, but I don't think it's a great reason to NOT trade up. Everyone knows that some players bust. Picking a blue chip at the top of the draft gives you a much higher chance of NOT picking a bust. My (fairly realistic per Rich Hill chart) proposed trade doesn't put the team in a horrible future position like the Rams, and this isn't without risk, but the chance of picking a bust in the top 10 is far, far lower than it is at 27.

There are plenty of success stories when trading up, as well. I'm not claiming for certain that Simmons is going to blow up the league, but he's a damn impressive prospect that has a level of versatility and potential that is not often observed. No one even close to his caliber as a PROSPECT is likely be available at 27. The right to pick him is worth the risk imo.

No pick is surefire, but Isaiah has an absolutely ridiculous ceiling.

Latest posts