Tre Lance is trash

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
With the skill set he has there is a good chance he can develop into a quality stater. The one thing that could derail his progress is his reckless running. Head first dives and open field moves definitely pump up teammates but like Wentz will lead to injury. Several times yesterday he narrowly escaped head shots on his dives, if he doesn’t reel in that recklessness it will ruin him. He may have a cannon arm but I saw some wounded ducks come off his hand.

LTH

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":20qenhja said:
With the skill set he has there is a good chance he can develop into a quality stater. The one thing that could derail his progress is his reckless running. Head first dives and open field moves definitely pump up teammates but like Wentz will lead to injury. Several times yesterday he narrowly escaped head shots on his dives, if he doesn’t reel in that recklessness it will ruin him. He may have a cannon arm but I saw some wounded ducks come off his hand.

I noticed that as well, but one thing is for sure he will find out soon enough! LOL.. Thats one reason wilson has been so healthy he seems to really be aware of his surroundings...

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":qxy07u26 said:
Flyingsquad23":qxy07u26 said:

I noticed that as well, but one thing is for sure he will find out soon enough! LOL.. Thats one reason wilson has been so healthy he seems to really be aware of his surroundings...

LTH

Very hard thing to teach, just ask Michael Vick, Cam Newton and RG3.

Russell does it well, Lamar Jackson does it well, and Kyler Murray does it well.

Hard to decide on Lance with barely three quarters of play. I see a raw extremely athletic QB with a bigtime arm, but the rawness might take years to develop.

Which is just fine with me, I'd rather play a young inexperienced QB over a mediocre veteran who can make 4-5 quality throws per game any day, i.e. Cousins and Tannehill this year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Gotta say....nice to see alot of reasoned, fair responses to this.

I love the kid but I'm a Niner fan.

To me, he's what was advertised.

Insane physical talent, raw as hell. He's gonna be wildly inconsistent. There is a reason they kept Jimmy. They knew how much work he'd need.

Now he HAS to play. We'll see how the rook responds.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":u10dpm9k said:
LTH":u10dpm9k said:
Flyingsquad23":u10dpm9k said:

LTH

Very hard thing to teach, just ask Michael Vick, Cam Newton and RG3.

Russell does it well, Lamar Jackson does it well, and Kyler Murray does it well.

Hard to decide on Lance with barely three quarters of play. I see a raw extremely athletic QB with a bigtime arm, but the rawness might take years to develop.

Which is just fine with me, I'd rather play a young inexperienced QB over a mediocre veteran who can make 4-5 quality throws per game any day, i.e. Cousins and Tannehill this year.

He did take a few unnecessary hits, but he does get down. I've seen that several times. Even in this game he was diving for the ground on 3rd down before the marker. I saw it in preseason as well. he usually doesn't get hit standing up and he usually isn't fighting for extra yards.

balakoth

Reaction score
But he is pretty bad.. for a third pick? COme on now.

Dude should have torched and missed wide open plays. There were at least 3 holds not called on his long runs.. and the only reason he "did well"

A blown coverage by player starting his first game in the system... it's not like he made an incredible read.

Hey.. I though we would lose.. but trying to say Lance is some kind of even good QB in his first real action is a super long stretch.

If JG played the whole game, we probably lose.

chris98251

Reaction score
Given the context, he was only suppose to be a change of pace guy, nobody thinks he is ready to take control, but here he is. Most see the potential, given some seasoning and hope that being thrown in the fire doesn't cause issues down the road.

Most the opinions were about potential, not if he was going to come in and be Russell Wilson or Kyler Murray.

rlkats

Reaction score
balakoth":2erp5x8p said:
But he is pretty bad.. for a third pick? COme on now.

Dude should have torched and missed wide open plays. There were at least 3 holds not called on his long runs.. and the only reason he "did well"

A blown coverage by player starting his first game in the system... it's not like he made an incredible read.

Hey.. I though we would lose.. but trying to say Lance is some kind of even good QB in his first real action is a super long stretch.

If JG played the whole game, we probably lose.

I watched the game replays. I think Trey did just ok. He has not played a game in over a season or more. This is Kyles fault for not getting him ready. I think he can be really good in the future. I am not saying great so don’t get it twisted. I think he was taken to high and needs to much grooming. But with that said, I disagree with SF winning the game if Jimmy was in. Trey got out of situations that Jimmy would have been sacked or thrown more interceptions. Trey did some good and some bad. Yes a better QB would have torched the hawks. Trey needs more work. I don’t think Jimmy should start and give Trey the season to learn if Jimmy is remotely injured.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Before Sunday the last competitive football game Lance played in was on January 11th, 2020. He has not played in a game in over 600 days. Since his senior year in high school, he has only played 16 games at the FCS level. This dude is basically a high school QB getting thrown into the NFL deep end.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Trey played like a rookie thrust into a game at halftime when the starter got hurt.

Gameplan wasn't made for him, he didn't get a ton of reps as the backup, and he's a freakin' rookie trying to learn a complex offense.

Why does it have to be any more than that?

I didn't learn anything in that game I didn't already know other than that he is more nimble in the pocket than I thought he'd be. He moved more like Watson than Cam which was my expectation. He'll make some eye popping plays and he'll make some WTF plays. He's erratic...just as you'd expect.

He's green. That isn't new information. There is a reason they kept Jimmy.

He's basically got this year to learn. He'll do that on the field, on the bench, or some combination of the two. Once the season ends he can spend the entire offseason working on mechanics, watching film, etc.

The whole plan was to get him ready for next year. That's why Jimmy is on the roster.

What makes me think he's gonna be special is that he doesn't appear to be affected by anything. All reports have been that he's very smart and that he's very coachable.

If you have a guy with his tools, smarts, and a desire to put in the work to be good, its hard to think he won't make it.

It happens of course, but I'd put my money on him making it. People make alot of his 300+ career attempts, but they also came as a redshirt freshman. The guy JUST turned 21. He was 19 the last time he played extensively. Just think about that for a sec.

Threedee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3c1gp9in said:
He looks like an unpolished Cam Newton.

But I saw enough to see that if he develops within Shanahan's offense, he could be a problem in a few years.

He had what, like 17-18 games started in college? So he's really raw. So it's gonna take some time, but there's enough to like if you're a Niner fan.....and definitely enough to be worried about as a Hawk's fan.

Well, Cam had only one good season. He had better hope that he's no Cam Newton.

chris98251

Reaction score
Steve McNair had a good career and they didn't think he could make it as a NFL QB, Cunningham was erratic and a gimmick guy that could run initially that could throw the ball.

This kid is more McNair then Cunningham but given a fair chance and the coaching he could be in that ball park, or he could be Doug Williams a guy that eventually found success later on once people gave him a chance to learn how to play. He was expected to save Tampa Bay and was a very raw guy also.

sdog1981

Reaction score
chris98251":2n02mw4g said:
This kid is more McNair then Cunningham

McNair and Cunningham had over 50 starts at the college football level. They are nothing like Lance.

chris98251

Reaction score
sdog1981":18n58u9j said:
chris98251":18n58u9j said:
This kid is more McNair then Cunningham

McNair and Cunningham had over 50 starts at the college football level. They are nothing like Lance.

Proves the point the kid has tools with less experience then doesn't it, McNair and Cunningham had flashes but struggled also going into the league.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
You also have to take small hands into consideration. He's got the same size as Jarred Goff at 9 1/8.....Russ Wilson in contrast has large mitts at 10.25
Combine Lance's tiny hands with inexperience and it's a recipe for uncatchable bullets that are wobbly as all get out.
You have to be able to exhibit touch and accuracy under duress and on the run in this league. Small hands are no bueno at the quarterback position

chris98251

Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":2ygin7du said:
You also have to take small hands into consideration. He's got the same size as Jarred Goff at 9 1/8.....Russ Wilson in contrast has large mitts at 10.25
Combine Lance's tiny hands with inexperience and it's a recipe for uncatchable bullets that are wobbly as all get out.
You have to be able to exhibit touch and accuracy under duress and on the run in this league. Small hands are no bueno at the quarterback position

Krieg had small hands but had arguably a hall of fame career if he would have been in a marquee City, he was just behind Marino in most categories I know many will laugh reading that, but look up the statistics and where he ranked over all in categories.

Billy Kilmer was Mr. Butt ugly pass when he threw the ball, but always got it there.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
chris98251":e68awf0i said:
ArlosSpecial":e68awf0i said:

Krieg had small hands but had arguably a hall of fame career if he would have been in a marquee City, he was just behind Marino in most categories I know many will laugh reading that, but look up the statistics and where he ranked over all in categories.

Billy Kilmer was Mr. Butt ugly pass when he threw the ball, but always got it there.
I grew up watching Krieg ball out. I say ball out he was as good as any quarterback in the league at that time(when he was hot) during the ground chuck days. He was also woefully bad at times. Largent and Skansi saved his ass at times. Curt Warner before he blew his knee out was also badass but regarding Dave Krieg yeah he was maybe too wildly inconsistent for HOF consideration but threw for many many yards.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Between Dan McGuire, Kelly Stouffer, John Friesz, Stan Gelbaugh and Rick Mirer I certainly feel the 49ers plight.